Notices

Coming up on one month sober, a first for me!

Old 03-09-2011, 04:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Coming up on one month sober, a first for me!

If someone had told me a month ago that I would be able to quit my daily drinking I would have laughed at them while I reached for my bottle, likely not remembering any of it when I eventually woke up. I should rephrase that to “if I woke up”, now that I look back at it with a clear mind I can't believe how much I was consuming everyday.

Today marks 27 days sober for me and I'm very proud of myself of achieving that. I really do owe a big thank you to every member here on SR. Reading everyone's stories and experiences has helped me in so many ways, I apologize for not posting and contributing more myself, that's what makes this site work like it does after all!

I have found what has helped me get this far is changing my attitude towards sobriety. Getting sober is something I had thought of in the back of my mind many times over the past 5years but the alcoholic in me ensured I drank each day and putting it off another day, week, month, year, turned into 5years of heavy daily drinking. What has kept me sober so far is that I had to full on admit to myself that I could no longer control myself and the drinking. I had to be 100% honest with myself AND actually want to get sober up and work on recovery. It wasn’t until I had done that was I really able to make it past day two.

I have a lot of work ahead of me as my life didn't magically fix itself like I had hoped it would. I still have bad days and ones that are a real struggle to get through sober, but I come out stronger each time I get through them. One thing that is helping me along right now is focusing on the “low hanging fruit”. Little easy wins, things in life that I can work on improving that will overall make my days that much easier.

It is starting to feel like I'm getting my life back again while I slowly adjust into this world that I had long forgotten, a sober one that is.

Thank you everyone! I'll be sure to keep at it!
Old 03-09-2011, 05:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your story is the story I hope to tell!

I completed Day 1 yesterday, it has not been over 24 hours without a drink.
I felt like you, I drank like you did. Today is day 2 for me. I am challenged, and I am aware of the road ahead, yet I am encouraged by each story like yours I read here! Thank you for your courage!

Thinkn
Old 03-09-2011, 05:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Congrats on a month, Rez! Like you, I was amazed when I made 30 days. I couldn't believe I was sober. Now, at 6 months, I still amazed. Amazed that I am not drinking and amazed that I like being sober. Its given that I needed it. But enjoying it was unexpected and a joy.

Originally Posted by Rez572 View Post
What has kept me sober so far is that I had to full on admit to myself that I could no longer control myself and the drinking. I had to be 100% honest with myself AND actually want to get sober up and work on recovery. It wasn’t until I had done that was I really able to make it past day two.
Take note newbies, this is so key to recovery. You have to want to be sober more than you want to drink.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you and it sounds like you're doing well!
Old 03-09-2011, 01:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety date April 19th 2011

Congratulations Rez ! Alot of that story sounds alot like me, And I heard something in my Monday AA meeting when we were studying 3rd tradition

The problem was that for so long I was going to AA and going through the motions but really didn't WANT to quit. I just WANTED the bad **** to stop happening and to heal and make family stop worrying.
One quote that made us all laugh was " If you don't really want to quit then you are in absolutely no danger of ever getting sober "

But this time I REALLY want to quit and it hasn't been as hard to string a few days together. Currently on 1 week again ( after 3rd embaressing White chip pickup last Wednesday ) .
I have a question for you though .... WHEN DOES THE SLEEP RETURN ????

I've gotten through the sweats and the panics ( thinking I was going into DT's ) And the shakes are gone.... but still not sleeping for ****.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Enjoy,
It took about 2 weeks before I slept close to normal. I'm just under 30 days now and I still occassionally have nights of poor sleep but nothing like I did while drinking or withdrawing.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Rez, that is awesome, so proud of you! Really sounds like this is it for you and you are on your way.
Knowing that I wanted to stop, and working at it has been key for me too.
Keep it up, and keep coming here to let us knnow how you are doing!

Hug
Old 03-09-2011, 07:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great job. 1month is hard. you should be so proud
Old 03-09-2011, 07:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats Rez
Old 03-09-2011, 07:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations!
Old 03-09-2011, 08:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Good for you!
Old 03-09-2011, 08:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

Congrats!
I also just passed the month mark. I don't remember ever stopping more than a few days at a time since I began drinking.
I don't have a game plan, except that I'm not drinking alcohol now.
It's starting to feel like an investment... I think "I've come this far, let's go one more day..."
I also think about how well I have been sleeping and how much better I feel in the morning. That keeps me going also.
I had a fully mapped plan that I was going to have a drink to celebrate one month off, and at the last second, I decided not to. I'm glad I made that decision now.
You'll be amazed how good you feel the next day when you win those little battles with yourself.
I'm basically a lurker here, so I suppose I'm posting this as a reference point to myself...
All the best to everyone here and thanks for all of the priceless information!!
Old 03-09-2011, 08:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If you can make a month as you did you will feel how great it is to feel sober. I loved the life without anxiety the next morning and laying in bed all morning sick. the days get easier andbetter. The hardest thing I found earlier is just staying away from my friends. Now my friends know I stopped drinking and they don't push it. Some say "I wish I could stop" Congrats on your month sober. It's exciting to wake up everyday now and live life.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Way to go, Rez. Thanks for the terrific post.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Old 03-09-2011, 10:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Way to go (((Rez))) and (((DanDare))) - 30 days is a HUGE milestone!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy