Notices

I'm a newbie

Old 03-07-2011, 07:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm a newbie

Hello. I just came by to introduce myself. I have 6 months sobriety; I've gone through treatment three times; I'm feeling positive and have a sense of well being right now. I've never participated in a website/ blog such as this. I think it would be great to have access to friends 24/7 at the tip of my fingers--do you find this is true with the SoberRecovery Forums? There are quite a few forums, is there an "all access" or "general" access forum-- one that has something for everybody?
Old 03-07-2011, 08:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome RotRow - (love the name!) Congratulations on your sobriety..... I went through treatment twice myself and am on 10 months of try #3.... or should I say my FINAL and FOREVER period of sobriety!

I think you'll really enjoy your time here - people are intelligent, caring and supportive. Furthermore, this place is always active and that's what I needed when I got here.

I'm not sure I understand your question about a "general" access forum.....

Good to have you with us.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi RotRow (ditto on loving the name )

SR is a little bit amazing - the support, the friends, it's all invaluable, at any point in my recovery.

I also like F2F support through AA, for people I can call and hang out with in RL.

Welcome
Old 03-07-2011, 08:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

RotRow, welcome to SR! That really is a great name—had to smile just saying it to myself!

This site has been a huge source of info and support for me. There are forums here for alcoholism, substance abuse, 12 steps, secular recovery, two weeks sober, one year sober... etc. This is an ideal place to start.

Congratulations on your six months!
Old 03-07-2011, 10:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm a Newbie!

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
Welcome RotRow - (love the name!) Congratulations on your sobriety..... I went through treatment twice myself and am on 10 months of try #3.... or should I say my FINAL and FOREVER period of sobriety!

I think you'll really enjoy your time here - people are intelligent, caring and supportive. Furthermore, this place is always active and that's what I needed when I got here.

I'm not sure I understand your question about a "general" access forum.....

Good to have you with us.
Thanks to all for the feedback and I am very happy my name made you smile --makes me giggle every time I say it!

I know what you mean, what you are feeling when you said you are in your "final and forever period of sobriety." You have been through so much but still you realize you are so lucky, so blessed to be alive. Congratulations!

I have spent a lot of time in AA and have made a lot of friends. Right now the feeling I have been coming away with is very negative; our meetings haven't been very productive. Every day there are reports of suicides, relapses, overdoses, DUIs, deaths from DUIs. Even those that you would believe to be the "stalwarts" of AA, even they begin to crack. It's so damn depressing. Keep Comin' Back is becoming a challenge.

My question regarding "general access forums" to be more specific is, theoretically, if I just wanted someone to talk to in the middle of the night about anything or nothing at all, which forum under SB would I use?

Thanks again everybody!
Old 03-07-2011, 10:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome! =)
Old 03-07-2011, 10:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

if I just wanted someone to talk to in the middle of the night about anything or nothing at all, which forum under SB would I use?
There's usually someone around 24/7 (although it does slow down at times). There's the chat room too (see the blue bar at the top, towards the right-hand side). I'm not sure about all the different sub-sections - but the Newcomers forum is often the most active.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Newcomers forum gets a lot of traffic. And there's always the chat room. Do check out the other forums tho. There are forums for alcoholism, for drug use, for women/men only, for comedy, for social groups... lots of forums for everyone.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome to our recovery community....

Well done on your sober time