Notices

The Power of Now

Old 03-09-2011, 07:29 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I've been thinking about this for a couple of days. It's really interesting how many times we talk about "the real me" and the "other one" that has a good friend in a bottle somewhere. I think people going thorugh what we're all going through have a leg up on understanding what Tolle is saying.

I found this from one of his conversations with Oprah.

"In some people, the pain-body is active almost all the time, and that is dreadful way to live. And those people in whom the pain-body is active almost all the time, often they will seek some kind of escape from it because they can't live with that pain anymore.

"The pain-body loves it, but it makes your life more and more miserable. So, but there is also a good chance and maybe that brings us to the, what connects us with the, what I said in the book, if people who have a heavy pain-body, their chance of awakening is also quite great because when life becomes unbearable because you're creating so much pain continuously for yourself, your desire to awaken, to finally get out of this misery is much greater than a normal person's desire to awaken. "
Old 03-09-2011, 07:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree that Eckhart Tolle's books are definitely not a quick read. I've through A New Earth two or three times, but there is still so much to learn. Tolle really shows you how to forgive yourself, how to live in the moment and how to feel peace and joy in life no matter what is happening. He says we need to think of ourselves as spiritual beings in a human body. That was really a breakthrough for me.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:40 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I heard about it, but I will buy it later.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:19 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Here is a Coffeenut meditation photo:

Lol
Old 03-09-2011, 08:38 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
He says we need to think of ourselves as spiritual beings in a human body. That was really a breakthrough for me.
That's such a great way of looking at it. I have recently begun to think of the body as the vessel of the soul (sounds kind of elementary but its not). Since the soul is our most important possession we need to take incredibly good care of what we place the soul within. That is why i am working hard on my health and why I cherish the body I have.

Coffee...meditation is a "practice" and it's a lifelong one...you get better and better at it as you practice it, but even the most advanced practicioners still admit to having stray thoughts intrude in their practice...it's all about how you deal with the random stray thoughts

Or you could just eat poprocks...:rotfxko
Old 03-09-2011, 09:55 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Awakening...

Coffeenut
I wish you could come to my meditation meetings.
There is no right or wrong way to meditate, and there's nothing to achieve. It's just sitting and watching your breath.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:10 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
6/20/08

VC: You are a hoot!

Femme: Those dang pop rocks just work their way in everywhere!

Wake up: I would love to come with you and learn from you! That would be awesome.

Eddie: I remember seeing him on Oprah, but I didn't pay attention. Sure wish I would have now.

Anna: Thank you so much for the recommendation.

I have found myself really trying to think before I speak (although I'm not sure that's correct, either). Trying to stay in the moment and stay POSITIVE. I'm thinking about it more. None of us need the negativity. So easy to go there.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:17 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Have you tried any guided meditation cd's?
They work well for me. They say when you notice your thoughts wondering, Just bring your focus back to your breathing.
I tend to get distracted alot too. But I just try not to be perfect at it. Like wakeup said. Theres no right or wrong way. IMO as long as your getting some insight, Thats all that matters.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:56 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Great book. Still refer back to it. It has helped me and I recommend it to my friends and family. For those who think too much, it's a must read!
Old 03-10-2011, 09:02 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Found his other book while cleaning today...its goign on my bedside table.