Notices

I want to get through the next

Old 03-08-2011, 12:28 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

A couple thoughts to March. First off detoxing is a very difficult process to go through especially at home. Don't be afraid to go for medical help if you start to get severe DT's. It's nothing to **** around with.

Second, AA isn't one sip you're done. I had alot of misconceptions about recovery, AA and treatment (therapy) before I went to detox. I just wanted them to detox me and pow everything will be fine, I'd do it on my own. Well I was wrong and wouldn't be able to do this on my own. I've smelt alcohol on members breath at meetings and although it's not encouraged AA only requires the desire to stop drinking.

One thing with all your problems, yes drinking leads to unhealthy and lazy behavior but just because you stop drinking, all these don't automatically change. I'm learning that every day which is why the 12 steps are so important. Some of these things might change like the smoking and work but it still takes alot of effort and desire.

Good luck to you bro.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:41 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by March7 View Post
I think my problem with AA is that it's a "fail" if you have ONE SIP.
LOL not really, it's just that AA is about abstinence, not moderation, and oftentimes people who find their sobriety to be very fragile can't tolerate even the idea of moderation. Kind of like people who quit smoking who get all freaked at the first whiff of smoke.

I myself had success with AA and recommend it to anyone who has a desire to stop drinking. But I realize that it is not for everyone, so if you need to find a 1-on1 counselor, this is a good place to start:

Florida Substance Abuse Counselors / Drug Counselors - City Directory

This board right here is a good place to get support 24/7, so please feel free to use it and safe to keep posting
Old 03-08-2011, 12:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chris2011 View Post
I only smoke when I drink....both are being tossed out the window today.
Commendable goals, but I urge you to slow down a tad so that if you have a little stumble, you don't hurt your recovery. Nothing as demoralizing than when we set superhigh goals and disappoint ourselves in some way; we alcoholics tend to be all-or-nothing, black& white thinkers.

Maybe concentrate on abstaining from alcohol, and once your body has had a chance to recover from that and get a little stronger, quit cigs. Just something to think about.

Awesome idea going to the gym, that certainly will help your body and spirit rebound!