Notices

Tomorrow 30 days sober

Old 03-07-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tomorrow 30 days sober

New to the board on here and figured now is a good time to jump in. Tomorrow marks 30 days sober for me. Didn't come easy, took vacation from my career for two weeks and checked into detox. Now in intensive outpatient treatment 3 hours 3 nights a week and AA on the weekends. A bit on how I got here:

Didn't drink much as a teenager growing up in Philly. I can count on one hand the amount of beers I've seen my Pops drink in my life. No relatives with alcohol abuse except an uncle. Didn't touch alcohol until I was 18, mostly a weed smoker as a teenager. Enlisted in the Marine Corps when I was 19. Used to be able to drink beer at the enlisted club under 21 in the mid 90's till they ceased that regulation. After that became a binge drinker for the next few years. Had a few altercations when drinking but nothing major.

After I didn't reenlist and decided to get out of the Corps moved to Pittsburgh with my wife from San Diego. Had a son in 98. I didn't drink much but 1-2 days a week for the next few years. Around 2001 started drinking high end beers a few days a week. This continued until I was setting my goals to get drunk 2 nights a week. 3 years later I was hitting the vodka pretty hard a few nights a week and drinking to get drunk about 4 days a week. Had moments of staying off the hard stuff and just drinking beer. Didn't think I had a problem because I only drank expensive beer. Started getting drunk 5 nights a week.

Yada yada yada come to late last year around the holidays. Been drinking on a consistent basis for a decade but heavily for 4-5 years. Knew I had a problem and would even come on here looking for tips on how to cope with this. Didn't have career or legal issues. Alcohol had created some marriage issues most particularily infedility issues by me. Tried to get through those while still drinking. I could go a day without much trouble but around 36 hours started to have craving issues along with slight DT's.

Beginning of this year had sever DT's and knew it was time to stop. On my doctors advise I took a couple weeks vacation and checked into detox. Before going in I had no thoughts on AA or a recovery system. Thought I could do it on my own. Detox taught me so much about therapy, recovery the whole concept and process of AA. I'm on my first month, which is nuts because I've had 4 sober weekends this month when I didn't have one sober weekend in 10 years. I've always came here lurked when recovery seemed but a hope and a prayer. Grew up in a strong protestant family but lost my spirituality and relgion over the years. I'm getting that back now and it's helping tremendously in my recovery.

So that's it, taking it one day at a time and hoping to stop by once in a while and share my experiences as well as take whatever I can from others here.

Thanks
Old 03-07-2011, 01:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on 30 days, keep up the good work, and Go Flyers!
Old 03-07-2011, 01:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats!!!
Old 03-07-2011, 01:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Flyer, welcome aboard and congrats on 30 days!
Old 03-07-2011, 01:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, and congratulations on 30 days.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations!! that is excellent, it only gets better!
Old 03-07-2011, 02:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on your sober month.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

CONGRATULATIONS on 30 DAYS! AWESOME!!! Thank you for sharing your story and for serving our country!!!