Notices

Picking a day to call D-day

Old 03-07-2011, 04:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Picking a day to call D-day

I am sober in my 8th day now, and have had no alcohol since last Friday. I have posted elsewhere in this forum as to the details, but in short, I was more scared of the DTs (doctor told me not to go cold turkey also) than I was of being able to stop myself once I started. Basically drinking 3-4 std drinks spaced out enough so the buzz wouldn't take me away. On Saturday (before having my anti-DTs drinks), I had a big argument and and my fear of not being able to stop myself became stronger than my fear of the DTs, so I decided to start taking the anxiolytic my doctor prescribed and say goodbye to alcohol forever. I feel it is very important to have a date - EVERYONE talks about theirs...

So what do people think? I'm between saying "I've been sober for 7 days", and "I've had no alcohol for 2 days". It required HUGE willpower to stick to 3-4 drinks, even if there was no buzz. Now I'm on the meds though, the nastiness has all but gone, and it's sooooo much easier. Should I just forget about the 5 days of hell? No? But what about the alcohol I consumed? I hadn't REALLY stopped drinking... I started my recovery 8 days ago - that much is certain, but can an alcoholic really start recovery with alcohol?!?

I'm sure most of you will say that it is up to me to decide. That's precisely why I'm posting here - I can't make up my mind .

Thanks for your continued support and experience. I have my first group session tonight at 5pm!
Old 03-07-2011, 04:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I'm really glad that you decided to cut out the alcohol completely and good for you for being cautious.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I think recovery begins when you have no alcohol in your life. But, honestly your quit date is up to you to decide, whatever feels right to you.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I agree with Anna. And I tapered a bit too so I remember the feeling of drinking 'just for' vs. really enjoying it. But still my Day 1 was when there was no alcohol in my body. Looking forward to learning more about you!
Old 03-07-2011, 05:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

My 'sober date' started the first day I didn't drink any alcohol.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with all so far, however I think I would find it harder to slow down then stop. Not having the first one is difficult, but once I've had one, not having number3,3,4 5 6 thats where it gets hard.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The reality is that is really is completely up to you. I tapered but called my first day the day I did not consume any alcohol. That doesn't negate all the hell days leading up to it.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by TotoBidule View Post
I can't make up my mind.
You've made up your mind to quit. That's all that matters.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for your replies - looks like I'm seeing a pattern here :-). I'll make it official then - I'm on my third day. I suppose there is nothing wrong with being conservative either... I guess what was bothering me was how functional I am now I'm on meds compared to battling it out before. I was ALL OVER the place, and now feel like I could go back to work with pretty much no hassle. It almost feels like cheating!

Anyway, I have a date now, so that was what I was looking to sort out. Thanks!
Old 03-07-2011, 08:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to know your life is heading in the best direction...forward