Notices

so called "high bottom" alcoholic?

Old 03-06-2011, 07:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

so called "high bottom" alcoholic?

I am not really sure how to proceed, or what course is right for me.

I have always been a big drinker, all throughout my teens and twenties. While I didn't get totally sloshed every day, there was a glass of wine at least once a day. My parents had no problem with this in my teens, so it was normal to me. In my mid-twenties all my friends got married. I got my own apartment. I was lonely all the time and increasingly turned to wine.

For the past 3-4 years, it's been at least one half of a big bottle of wine every night, sometimes more. I was fine but still a bit disappointed in myself for gaining weight, being groggy every morning. Every once in awhile there would be an embarassing episode but those were few and far in between because I was increasingly isolating myself. I live alone, have no BF, and few friends.

A few months ago, I quit my job and started my own business. It all fell into place relatively easily. The problem is that the drinking has gotten bad without the structure of a job. I began binging for 2-3 days at a time and drinking at my office. It would take me 1-2 days to get my head right after the binge to be productive again. I have tried to take breaks from the wine before, but have been unsuccessful.

In short, I know that my life is beginning to become unmanageable, although I haven't lost anything yet. I want to change my life and be the best I can be. I want to get married and have a family, not go down a self-destructive path. It's been the second day sober and yesterday I had to buy non-alcoholic wine so I wouldn't lose my mind.

I am not sure AA is right for me, and I am not sure that I could even stick with it at this point. I think maybe at this point I will try a thirty day and go from there??
Old 03-06-2011, 07:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community....

I wish you well as you consider what is best for you.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad that you found us.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Hi there littlepetunia

Congratulations at recognizing where you are on the deadly slope of alcohol addiction...it isn't pretty at the bottom end...and your decision to step off that slope at this point in your life.

Here are some links to other recovery programs;

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

Check out the various forums as there is something for everybody from twelve steppers, face to face groupers, flying solo types, the devoutly religious, and secular folks too.

Welcome aboard - we're here every minute of every day

Murray
Old 03-06-2011, 08:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Strive to be alive!

Originally Posted by littlepetunia View Post
I am not sure AA is right for me, and I am not sure that I could even stick with it at this point. I think maybe at this point I will try a thirty day and go from there??
First and foremost welcome littlepetunia you've landed yourself in a good place here on SR!

As a small business owner myself, 2 active teenagers, household to run, etc. I totally understand trying to make time for something like AA in my life! But I do, and grateful I did! I'm telling you what a change it has made in my life! I go to 2 meetings a week at present. One Friday night meeting my home group all women and one Saturday night meeting tables about the steps and SR is my crutch in between.

I wouldn't give my meetings up for ANYTHING! Like you I didn't lose material things, my family or get into trouble with the law. However, I did lose EVERYTHING. I lost MYSELF.

AA will help you to put your life into perspective as well as order. You get down to the bottom of what's causing you to want to drink all the time instead of getting down to the bottom of the bottle. Think about it...if you have time to get trashed one night a week, you have time for one meeting a week. Just sayin....

Now, depending on the type of person you are. AA may NOT be your avenue. I DO urge you to attend at least one meeting and make it an all women's meeting. This is an excellent place to start. Just to see what it's all about. If you deicide to stick with it, you need to be honest with yourself and you need to take the Steps seriously and take "action" in order for it to be of any use. If you don't you may not be drinking anymore, but that's all it will feel like is just not drinking any more. AA is an ACTION program that needs your participation.

With that said (whew!) we're ALL glad you're here please come back!
Old 03-06-2011, 08:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Things can get out of control easily when you're alone. My teenage daughter lives with me but like with most teenagers is never here...lots of drinking time for me.
I've quit all that and because of a life situation with my separated husband that's a long story I've turned my basement into a dog grooming salon.
I've run our business' before while drinking -its hard when you can go into the house from the business numerous times a day with no one looking!
Like pattenat said seeking support is key. After my last 'episode' in January, I contacted both a counseling service (rehab) and AA. I love both. I was just telling my mom yesterday how much fun we have and its nice to meet people that are like-minded. You will gain friends quickly -and the right kind.
Welcome, good luck and hope you come back.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Hi Littlepeturnia -- welcome!

I am also in the stage of life where I'm hoping to put down roots, etc, with the hope of starting a family. I drank socially but also in isolation. I have used a counselor, books on recovery, and SR as my primary support. Welcome. You can do it.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!
Old 03-06-2011, 10:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome! A good friend here at SR told me that if I think I have a problem, then I do. Whether or not you identify as an alcoholic, it sounds like your drinking is causing you personal distress and you would like to make a healthy change.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to the forum, littlep......:ghug3

My drinking progressed slowly - a lot like yours - and I found myself drinking most days of the week, even having wine in the afternoon sometimes (being self-employed definitely makes it easier, as you know)....

If you've tried to control your drinking and not had much success, you're in the right place...... We're here for support - so keep posting and reading!
Old 03-06-2011, 10:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome LittleP!!!
Old 03-06-2011, 10:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone for the kind words, advice, and welcoming. I look forward to talking with you as I try and figure this out and learn how to live a healthier life. Right now there is no one to really talk to about this and this forum has been extremely helpful..

best,

lp