Notices

No green tea in PACE?

Old 03-02-2011, 03:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No green tea in PACE?

A friend of mine is in PACE and they told her upon enrolling that energy drinks and also green tea were off limits. Just wondering if anyone knows why? She thought maybe it interfered with the drug testing, but she's not sure, they gave no explanation. I'm really puzzled about this cause green tea is healthy!
Old 03-02-2011, 03:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Too lazy to google. What is PACE? Don't know anything about green tea, but a lot of energy drinks have Taurine which is used in certain medications.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know what PACE is either.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What is PACE? I found some program in GA but am not sure if that's the same thing.

Anyway that program would not have worked for me because, especially in the first few weeks of quitting, I drank about 10 cups of green tea a day. I still drink a few every day.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's an outpatient drug treatment program... there are several of them. Sorry for not explaining that...
Old 03-02-2011, 04:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My guess is because of the high caffeine percentages
it tends to make some people jittery.

Only my guess....
I don't drink either
Old 03-02-2011, 05:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I drink ALOT of green tea, herbal teas and echinacea...I can't inagine why she wouldn't be allowed to?! Most are caffeine free. Dunno.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

When I go on speaking commitments at one of our local rehabs I gotta bring my own coffee or coke (er, that would be Coca-Cola) because they don't allow the residents anything with caffeine.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There are lots of things that are off limits for people in monitoring programs, for lots of reasons...

One thing though...

A contract is usually involved... a signed agreement... if she agreed not to drink these things, then, well....

But neither green tea or energy drinks would test positive.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It just doesn't make sense. I can sort of understand the energy drinks... sort of. But green tea? It has some caffeine, but less than regular tea or soda, of which both are allowed.

???
Old 03-02-2011, 09:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Is black tea permissible? Herb tea? Regular iced tea?

I'm almost wondering if they think it's got some drug association. But yes it's very strange.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a link so I wont for now, but their is a long list of medications that green tea can have interactions with. This is likely why is not allowed.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

One thing that can happen....

Lets say there is some report, somewhere in the literature, that says: "Green tea can cause a false positive for, say, amphetamines..." Now, there is nothing anywhere else that says this... Just this one report, non reproducible by others in the lab.... So, it's probably BS.... or like Rez said, maybe some kind of interaction with a medication..

So, someone in the program comes in and tests positive for amphetamines... They throw up their hands, deny it and say that they drank a bunch of green tea... "false positive" they claim... So to avoid that train wreck, the monitoring agency says no green tea... if you test positive, you test positive, none of this green tea BS... and besides, we told you not to drink green tea, so you violated the agreement either way.... done..

Poppy seeds... I would have to consume a handful of them to test positive for opiates... but it is not theoretical, poppy seeds are, of course, from the plant that produces opium... So if I test positive for opiates, I could say, well I had a poppy seed bagel this AM... So they tell me no poppy seeds, no alcohol in food, etc... so that they effectively banned any substance that could legitimately cause a positive... so it doesn't matter... poppy seed bagels are banned, you violated the agreement...

Long winded response, sorry...

I saw some stuff on the internet that claimed green tea was used to detoxify and help a person pass a drug screen... I personally doubt that claim... Probably the only thing it does is cause a dilute urine, which BTW, is also banned, LOL, and the specimen will be discarded and another will be requested.

Best just to follow direction.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rez572 View Post
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a link so I wont for now, but their is a long list of medications that green tea can have interactions with. This is likely why is not allowed.
This makes some sense...

thanks guys.