Notices

hello...my first post.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hello...my first post.

hello all, i just recently joined this site. trying to stop drinking, had hopefully my last night of drinking last night.
ive lost alot to this addiction, and ive tried many times to quit without success. im going to my first aa meeting ever
tonight, im very nervous and anxious, but thats also becaouse this is the first day i havnt drank in about 4 years now.
and the 4 years before that drank about 5 or 6 days a week. i really hope i make it happen this time. well just wanted
to say hi and introduce myself.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome!

I'm glad you found us.

Have you talked to your dr because detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR wowchza

I agree with Anna's Dr. advice...it's always the safe option especially if you've been drinking for a while

I hope you can make last night be your last night

You'll find a lot of support and ideas here

D
Old 02-28-2011, 02:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hello, and thank you for the advice and support. no i havnt talked to a dr. so far i have the shakes, anxiety, panic attacks, and every now and then seems like im seein things running across the floor out of the corner of my eyes. but im just going to see how it goes and try to get threw it. i have people with me also that know about it so if it gets too bad i will go to the emergency room.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome ! My first few days I checked in here a lot and it really helped. I have to ditto Dee and Anna, seeing your doctor is a really good idea.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Welcome!

I'm an AA'er and I think it's great your going to a meeting tonight.

Maybe post when you get back and let us know how you're doing?

I look forward to getting to know more about you!

Kjell
Old 02-28-2011, 03:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey wow, good for you

It's hard getting through the first day - but even in sickness it feels good to wake up knowing you made it!!! That's how I felt this morning...

Today is my second day and it's nearly midnight, so I guess I made it again - so will you

Let us know how the meeting went.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to the forum - and congrats on your decision to get sober...:ghug3

Please don't be afraid to go to the ER if you have to. Having hallucinations isn't a good sign....... Here's a link to the experience of some of our members when they were first getting sober.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

I hope you'll take care of yourself - glad someone's there, too. Lots of support here so stick around!!
Old 03-01-2011, 12:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hey all. well went to the meeting last night, seemed like it could help. had to leave early though because i was feeling
pretty crappy, everyone there was very supportive though.
hallucinations were mild and didnt last very long, still not feeling that great, and now im having trouble concentrating when people talk to me but im better than yesterday, and happy that i made it through the night without
drinking. im going to another meeting tonight.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Wow, You'll find loads of support here! Glad you have a plan on getting sober. It involves more than putting the alcohol down. AA is a great start! Please be careful as you go through withdrawal. It can be dangerous.

Best Wishes to You!
Old 03-01-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wowchza, please be very careful. It sounds like your withdrawal symptoms are more than just minor. I strongly recommend that you see your doctor because withdrawal can be deadly. I'm not saying this to scare you, I just want to make sure you understand the risks you might be facing. I wouldn't want those around you to react too late if a problem arises.

Best of luck to you at AA. I find AA to be extremely helpful, especially on my bad days. I'm also participating in an outpatient treatment program that's been pretty wonderful so far.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome WOW! Let us know how your meeting goes. I havent been to one, on the edge....But another encouraging experience could push me in the door.

WSTS
Old 03-01-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome wowchza to SR. Good for you to have such a strong commitment to staying sober. Withdrawals can be terrible and deadly as the other posters have mentioned. Do be very careful and get medical attention if you get any worse at all. Your life is so worth it! Do not pick up a drink no matter what, because then it all starts back up over again. In my experience even worse then before. The people on SR are wonderful for support. Stick around and post as much as you need to.

Congratulations to you too Smudg3r - Glad you are here as well! You might want to start your own thread, so more people could get to know you and offer the blessed support that is here 24/7. Hope you keep coming back.

WSTS - We were posting at the same time, so I want to make sure I welcome you too. SR has really saved my life. I mean that with my whole heart and soul.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good to know you made it One step at a time
Old 03-01-2011, 04:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm late in extending my welcome I see, but glad to know you're on Day 2. Nice work!
Old 03-01-2011, 05:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

welcome Wowchza, hope you doing ok today? Keep posting..