Notices

14 Days Today,Hoping I made right decision about job

Old 02-28-2011, 08:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question 14 Days Today,Hoping I made right decision about job

Hi All,

Today is day 14 for me 100% sober (off opiates) and 1 motnh since last drink too!

I am feeling good but am hoping I made the right decision. I was seperated from me (not good for recovery but great for $ job) while I was in a daily outpatient program after I went into detow 1 months ago Today!

I work in a very specialized field that although I live ina big city its a large industry but being in it almost a decade, it also gets small. I never lost a job due to my using (the last one wasnt in this industry) but I have burned a couple bridges etc. so then the industry gets quite small.

I had a call over the weekend to come in to a location in my industry to start working in a much lower position and for much less $ that I am used to. Today I would have worked a full day "as a working interview" and as much as I was excited to get back to work, (no interview) which was a red flag but I saw it as an oppertuinty to get in there and show them all I can do which inclused upper management and being licensed and certified in this area, so there was a lot I could do for them. however it was taking a chance and the place would not be close to the "normal mommy" hours that I do have some fleibility around but is another thing that lead to my depression and (at least) excuse for using/drinking so much befor b.c I felt like I didnt have my little family, H and 4 and 1/2 year old D, b/c I was always on an opposite schedule then them, I felt as though I was just chasing the $ and didnt even feel a part of my family.

I researchd the place yesterday, and to start the website was full of spelling, grammar etc. mistakes. Then I start to research their reviews online and they are not using good practices as far as what their client results would be due to the euiptment they are using and having the knowledge that there is equiptment out there that actually workes for this, that really botheres me, especially w/ the honesty factor I am tring to incorporate in all areas of my life. I didnt want to "lie" to potential clients to make a sale telling them this is top of the line, "best" equiptment out there being used for hair removal (for example) when I know its not.

I decided not to go to the "working interview today" and I am so new in recovery, on day 14 today. I know the hours would have prevented me from going to meeting like I am now and throwing myself into recovery.

I prayed A LOT about it, and I just didnt feel comfortable with the situation, "ready" to go back to work, thet dont provide ins. etc. and never will, so although there was room to go in and graw, and with the economy being so small and my industry being so small and specialized I also feel like i just should have gone in there and at least tried. Oh I also founf out the medical director is an OBGYN w/ an expired license, which REALLY doesnt sit well with me. But it could have been income, a foot back into my industry I love so very much, but also potentially having to lie to people to make sales etc. I know in business there is always sometimes of having to "cover up" issues etc. that you may sometimes have to bend the truth to make the client, patient, customer, not know there even was a mistake so they could have a good experience. But this would be unethical to me, and outright lying, where i may need ot find a new career b/c binsiness, although I am really good at it and sales may not be right for me b/c a lit is a lie is a lit, I know no matter how "little" it may be.

Although I am luckily (had to withdrw to go into detox, iop etc) but still in school luckily and can easily change my career, or advance it, but thats not TODAY, that will now take at least a couple more years to finish and be able to enter a new field I feel more ethically better about th lying part of business or bending the truth for the benefit of the guest etc. but in the meantime it would have been income.

As you can see I made a decision, I know a lot of peopl eunemployed would have loved to have gotten called out of the blue to come in and work, and the $ was decent, and they wouldnt have complained and felt blessed and I just thew the oppertuinty away.

God has been, I feel, guiding me in all of my decisions and actions now that I am sober and can see clearly and my relationship with him is growing and I prayed a lot aobut this and it just comes down to I have to keep putting recovery FIRSTespecially with my history being where I NEVER thought I had a chance at recovery, now I am doing it, and I dont want to lose it, of course I dont want to lose my home either, and I am getting calls from resumes I have sent out.

Maybe I just need to pray for the right thing to come along where I wont feel like I am jeorpading my recovery, or maybe I didnt want to get up that early this morning and go, after yesterday I was so happy it woudl be my first time going into a job in the AM not worrying about if I woudl be hungover, and then what concoction of RX's I would need to take to feel better, have energy, and make sure I had enough for the day etc etc which was like a full time job within a full time job.

What do you all think? If anyone has any thoughts. Am I being dishonest w/ myself, would I have been jeorpading my recovery this early on by taking a job whrre I had to lie or bend the truth a lot, or should I have just gotten back out there to get back out there?

You can be honest, I can take it and I NEED it!

Thanks,
best
Old 02-28-2011, 08:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Riding Barefoot

bestofme, welcome to SR! Right before I read your post, I opened up a Dove dark chocolate promise that read "Do what you feel is right". I am passing that along to you. It sounds like you are doing that and that it is the right thing for you. I think an important part of recovery is being honest with yourself and others... I know if I get back into my old habits of lying and bending the truth a lot, I will feel guilt and shame and may end up drinking again because of it. Good luck to you... DB.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you, on one hand I feel exactly that way, and thanks for the quote im all about these signs right now, and I pray they NEVEr stop b.c they make me feel alive and that this truly is a spiritual journey.
On the other hand I am worried I was falling back into my A/Addict ways, i am unemployed, and did not want to get up this morning and although I bough a Diet Dr Pepper when i went to the store for cigarettes this am and wasnt paying attention and headed right for the beer isle, and got my favorite drink instead that is closest to it b.c the last thing I need is the store clerck knowing I failed, actually that would bother me bc it only took a couple of days out of detox ad i went to make a purchase (at one of the 3 store by my house I rortated on a daily basis so all 3 wouldnt know how much I was drinking) and he didnt ask if I forgot my beer etc. he simply said "you FINALLY quit the beer" and I said I did, and couldnt let a little smile escape my face and feel a sense of pride, although it also scared me to death b.c I was literally out of detox and thought great now if I go back to drinking theres one less store ill show my face in. I NOW SEE how sick my thinking was, and still is but Im getting better everyday.
Ok way off track sorry, but im afraid althogh im doind everyhting else suggested to me as far as actions of recovery I still and doing some things I used to but now without alcohol/drugs.
I guess time will tell...
Thanks for your resonse, its hard not to feel a little guilty about passing up an oppertunity when so many people are out of work and would have really appreciated the offer, but then again NO ONE else in the worl dis in my exact situation, and right now for me, my recovery is still ife or death.
<3 best
Old 02-28-2011, 09:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Riding Barefoot

I am all about the signs too! And they keep coming and coming, believe me. Just this past week has been full of them. Sometimes they come so many at a time so fast you don't know what to do, and other times, it seems slow, but don't every stop believing. Just be patient.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done best on getting sober and getting support. It sounds like you are making your recovery #1 which is so important and saw many negatives to this potential job.

As long as you keep on in recovery and making positive change for yourself.....you know I think that things will come together on the job side for you

Way to go!