Notices
View Poll Results: Should alcohol be made illegal?
Absolutly
11.25%
Create Law: Only a certain body alcohol level is legal
1.22%
Just make current laws stricter
4.56%
Just produce more danger awareness advirtisments
10.03%
Just change the legal drinking age
1.22%
No
71.73%
Voters: 329. You may not vote on this poll

Should alcohol be made illegal???

Old 02-27-2011, 02:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Should alcohol be made illegal???

I often wonder why alcohol is legal. So many stories are told about deaths occurring from drunk driving. Medical complications caused by alcohol. Divorce, rape, violence, murder, I could go on and on with all the dangers that can occur from consuming alcohol. Yet, it is still legal.
Efforts to change this have been small, like creating laws as "Don't drink and drive". This rarely followed because typically a person that's intoxicated to the point where they would harm someone while driving is also to impaired to make the appropriate choice not to drive. It's a mind altering substance. I've drove drunk and never even remembered, I just woke up in my car somewhere. Hence, how dangerous this substance can be... so again I ask the question... why is it legal???

It's probably one of the most dangerous substances, unless consumed in moderation, which is rare to see and takes a lot of self control. I'm sure just like other illegal laws, people would still partake in it. Along with many angry business owners and those who do consume in moderation. I just find it confusing how something so dangerous is not only legal, its advertised. Just like cigarettes. I guess that's just the world we live in
Old 02-27-2011, 02:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's a lot of people out there who can, and do, use alcohol responsibly Ashley.
I have to be careful not to apply my experience to the whole world.

Alcohol wasn't my problem IMO - I was my problem

D
Old 02-27-2011, 02:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

We had a thread on this a year or so ago. My stance hasn't changed. No alcohol should not be illegal. Most people can handle it just fine, but there are some of us who can't. We are the ones who need to stay away from it. I'm not in favor of the government mandating what we can and cannot put into our bodies under threat of penalty.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Prohibition in the U.S. was an absolute disaster. People still managed to drink, and the illegal drinking industry was the motive for all kinds of crime and corruption (not unlike the illegal drug industry).
Old 02-27-2011, 02:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree Lexi..making something illegal isn't going to solve anything...and in reality alcohol wasn't really the problem for me...I was my problem!! only took me 20 some years to figure that one out!!
Old 02-27-2011, 02:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

Well mines a 'yes it should be banned'

Apart from it being such a money spinner, like ciggies, it is also a free will thingie that would have a lot of folk up in arms about no doubt. But i do think it generates to much cash and contributes to the global econemy in such a way that it cannot just be stopped, anywhere in the near future.
I like to think tho that behind closed doors they are working on it, even if its plowing tons into re-education hoping that the major problems taper off. But that still wouldn't remove the fact that as long as there is alcohol there will always be an alcoholic.
Its sad, but i really do think its the money why it isn't outlawed.
Planet Earth aye? pfff...
Old 02-27-2011, 02:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So Suki44883, if its wrong for the government mandating what we can and cannot put into our bodies under threat of penalty Then why is cocaine, marijuana, etc illegal? Along with a large penalty if caught doing so.
My point is that it's dangerous, addicting, and harmful to our bodies. I agree that many people know how to control themselves. However, people do not have to be alcoholics to over consume alcohol and make horrible or dangerous choices. I know many that have done so.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Originally Posted by Ashley121210 View Post
So Suki44883, if its wrong for the government mandating what we can and cannot put into our bodies under threat of penalty Then why is cocaine, marijuana, etc illegal? Along with a large penalty if caught doing so.
I don't think they should be illegal either.

If you want to live in a nanny state, there are plenty of places that will accommodate you. I believe in personal freedom and personal responsibility. I do not believe those who can enjoy a product responsibly should be penalized because I can't.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What Suki said. I'll add that addicts will find a way to get whatever they want. Illegal or not.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Suki44883, I have to completely disagree with you. I'm not against having fun but why is it so widely accepted that ingesting alcohol or drugs is the best way to do that??? It seems so difficult for people to face reality sober.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Originally Posted by Ashley121210 View Post
It seems so difficult for people to face reality sober.
Only some people. The majority are able to face reality sober quite well.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

Just because I can't consume alcohol responsibly I don't feel that those that can should be deprived of alcohol. I also feel that marijuana should be legalized. The legal ramifications that are set upon non violent pot smokers are sometimes ridiculous. I feel that the government should tax the heck out of it. IMO the effects of alcohol are much worse than that of pot. How often do you hear of deaths on the road that were the result of someone being stoned or someone overdosing from pot. Again its one of those things that I believe that those that can do it responsibly shouldn't be deprived just because people like me can't.

To make alcohol illegal would just make things worse. It's already been tried during prohibition and if you look at history it just made organized crime more money and crime went up. Also people were dying from unregulated bathtub gin that was literally laced with poison.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

LexieCat, what happened to doing whats right, no matter what the consequence? I'd be willing to go to battle for a just cause such a banning alcohol if it meant my child growing up in a safer and stricter environment.

Stimmed, I agree that money is the ugly truth beneath the deceptive surface. It makes me sick to see what horrible things occur just for profit to be gained or saved.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

It is estimated that only about 5% of Americans are considered alcoholic. If you add heavy drinkers to that, the total runs to about 10%. Why should 90-95% of Americans be penalized because 5-10% of us can't handle our liquor?

I'm not saying you have to agree with me. You asked for our thoughts and I gave you mine. The best thing you can do for yourself if you are an alcoholic is to stop drinking.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

The idea of making smothing illegal is to help protect society no?

Say if Heroin was legal and affordable, then poss' half the planet would be out to lunch and nothing would get done! So that one makes sense.
Alcohol, people recover from genarlly after a good nights sleep but if they develop alcoholsm they can die, but not before all their prob's have spilled over to affect a great many things in a negative way. It just doesn't make sense to continue its legality, while it contributes to premature death.

It should just be banned for the point Ashley made on being 'harmful' alone!
Old 02-27-2011, 02:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Heck, we'd be a lot safer if the police could bust in anytime they had a suspicion, or even a hunch, you know? We live in a balance between a free and a "safe" society. Sometimes one or the other takes a hit for the sake of the other interest.

I, personally, would much perfer to see all the money spent on putting addicts (of any stripe) in jail and use it for education/prevention and treatment. De-criminalize drugs and tax the hell out of them to support it, just as they do with alcohol and tobacco. The "war on drugs" is an economy unto itself, however, and it isn't going away anytime soon.

Safety isn't everything, and IMO fewer kids would be caught in the streetcorner crossfire from rival drug dealers if drugs were de-criminalized.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Originally Posted by Stimmed View Post
The idea of making smothing illegal is to help protect society no?
There are millions of things they could ban that would help protect society. Do you really want to start down that slippery slope?? Do you really want people who do not even know you to tell you what you can eat, drink, watch on TV, read, etc.?

At some point, personal responsibility comes into play. I would much rather have something available that I have no use for, than to have things that I feel should be a right, taken away from me because 5-10% of the people out there have a problem with it. That would not be freedom nor would it be the United States of America.

Now, where did I put my American flag?
Old 02-27-2011, 03:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Hooligan

I do not think alcohol should be made illegal. Sure it does produce a share of problems for society and i think it has been named the number 1 most damaging substance in the past year. But making it illegal would only make things worse.

I honestly think that everything should be legal, It should be a persons choice what they do to their own bodies and what they consume.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

johndelko408, I agree that marijuana is less dangerous which is why is has been legalized in some states. It's even used for medical treatment. So again I say if there is no benefit to alcohol and it IS dangerous, just as other harmful chemical drugs, why is it legal? Money is a big reason which should not be a valid one.
Were losing so many lives already. I think that crime rates would go up along with the self production of alcohol, however that's occurring with marijuana and our governments handling it. I don't think it should be legal because were afraid of dealing with the drama if it weren't, so were taking the easier road. We have been going to war for years now to prove a point, so why not take on one more that's worth it!?
Old 02-27-2011, 03:18 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

Making nothing illegal i feel would be to fail those completely who are not inside an area of influence regarding education, and i dont think that would be morally right, or it would be very unfair at least.