Notices
View Poll Results: Should alcohol be made illegal?
Absolutly
11.25%
Create Law: Only a certain body alcohol level is legal
1.22%
Just make current laws stricter
4.56%
Just produce more danger awareness advirtisments
10.03%
Just change the legal drinking age
1.22%
No
71.73%
Voters: 329. You may not vote on this poll

Should alcohol be made illegal???

Old 03-02-2011, 12:58 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Making it illegal would just drive the business underground and effectively make it more dangerous for people to use. And they will use, no matter how hard you try to stop it.

No way would I vote to make it illegal.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Alcohol is fine for some people. Outlawing it because some of us can't control ourselves is like outlawing sex because some are obsessed with sex.

I don't believe in giving up rights. Once they're gone, they're gone forever.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:53 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  

There is much more to it than a political standpoint
Old 03-03-2011, 10:59 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

Originally Posted by Stimmed View Post
Eg' - 'you dont see someone cartwheeling round to a neighbour and blasting them because they are happy'. I agree alcohol is not always present, but in an earlier post i stated alcohol should be banned because it contributes to pemature death. >>>>This doesn't just include alcoholics<<<<, >>>>but right across the board in terms of >health<, relating to a changed 'mind set' from drinking alcohol.<<<<
:-)
@ ItsMe23, i see your point in what you cut from the text, but take another look if you will, and see what im trying to say.

On the same well intended note i said this, i like to add "Should Alcohol be made Illegal?", after all that is the whole point of this thread.

Ashley has again in my opinion, added a key concept as to why an understanding of such a ban would be justified. I would personally see it as (now this may possibly get trounced by someone of your opinion, but its all good so...) "the people (planet pop') 'asking their government for 'help'. Like, "this is just no good, its infectious and the details are endless in terms of heart-ache, that far outweigh any positive aspecs it has to offer for >our future<".

However, and again as i stated in the opening of this valuable thread, 'Alcohol' is just a 'money spinner' (with many agreements), and is so much so that its part of the global econemy, a vital part of the equation at this point, has been and will be for some time to come yet. Until a way is found to subsidise this, government will continue to peddle Alcohol.

Can it not be seen that our governments, 'enjoy' the fact that they see their populace venting... "yeh just try and ban Alcohol", they love it, 'power is with them!" I heartily agree that if a ban were to come, say today, there would be an almighty uproar, and things would go very ill indeed. But if that was our only option, and once the dust had settled in terms of adjusting our thoughts and feelings at least, the picture would look quite different, but better, beyond todays view of such an endevour. Simply put, i feel a new 'think-line' must be learnt on the whole 9 regarding Alcohol. Once this is achieved, or at leaste under way, i feel our progress as a race would accelerate 10 fold.

Heh, i should have eaten 20 minits ago!

Ok...
Old 03-04-2011, 08:52 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

I don't think that it should be illegal. But I do think that everybody should have to take a 12 step course before getting or renewing their "drinking license"! LOL.

Zube
Old 03-04-2011, 09:04 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zube View Post
I don't think that it should be illegal. But I do think that everybody should have to take a 12 step course before getting or renewing their "drinking license"! LOL.

Zube
Now that is funny
Old 03-04-2011, 02:08 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I seriously doubt that half the planet would be junkies... The people who want to do heroin are doing it, legal or not. Making something illegal doesn't seem to be much of a deterrent. It certainly didn't deter me...
This has probably already been mentioned - sorry, couldn't hack reading the seven pages of replies!
Actually we have a great example of what decriminalising possession (NOT selling) of ALL drugs can do - Portugal. Google "heroin use in portugal" (sorry, still can't post links, the first link I get is a great Time article) and you'll see that there is a great reason to decriminalise possession - the money saved in law enforcement can be spent on therapy and harm reduction. The results have so far been spectacular for Portugal. Big reductions in use and crime across the board for everything except marijuana use in some age groups...
Old 03-04-2011, 02:18 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  
Administrator

Again I ask that we restrict ourselves to alcohol in this discussion.
Introducing drugs into the discussion seemed to make things quite heated last time.

D
Old 03-04-2011, 04:09 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Sorry, I didn't see that post. I just meant it as a reinforcement of the fact that criminalising alcohol use is very probably a bad idea...
Old 03-07-2011, 08:01 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

I agree that alcohol is a potentially addictive drug and very dangerous to some persons. However one other thing is crystal clear. We made alcohol "illegal" in the 1920's and early 1930's and (1) it did not stop folks from drinking excessively-indeed they probably drank more and this was the era of the speakeasys, "bathtub" gin and the popularity of the "cocktail" hour, and (2) making the stuff "illegal" gave rise to an enormous growth industry, featuring folks like Al Capone, Baby Face Nelson, Ma Barker, Machine Gun Kelley, John Dillinger, Bonnie & Clyde. Well, O.K. some of these were mainly bank robbers but when I was a kid they were all my heroes anyway. They had a very special way of celebrating St. Valentine's Day. The only way to deal with them was to put a call in to Melvin Purvis, the Lone Ranger, Jack Armstrong or maybe Daddy Warbucks. Great fun for the radio but would you want to live it all over again?

W.

Last edited by wpainterw; 03-07-2011 at 08:04 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-17-2011, 12:03 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I have a feeling that had alcohol been illegal when I was drinking ..... I would have kept right on drinking.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:04 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Well remember Prohibition was only in the US and well alcoholics are in a lot more countries than the US

I'd say it is pointless to try and make it illegal as making beer is pretty easy and they are not likely to make malt , barley , hops and yeast illegal. Heck I sure made piles of beer in my 20's and 30's. Creating a still is simple enough with a bit of know how as well.

I'd favour perhaps better labels about the possible addictive properties alcohol has on some people on those labels, a lot better honesty from the industry and government , but ultimately for those who can use it without problems , who am I or a government to say no in a culture/country where it is permitted already today.

Always a tough decision as to where the law/government should step in.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:06 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Absolutely not!

Illegal? NO way! Been done didn't work.

What did happen is bootleg whiskeys and beers were made and many times the moonshine stills were made of lead radiators and lye added to some and other immediate poisons introduced, resulting in blindness and other immediate or long term reaction no the least of which was death from more than the alcohol which does that too.

We already know from prohibition that it opened the world of drinking more to women. It was pretty much rare for women to drink prior to prohibition because women were not allowed in most bars most places unless they were "working women."

It was the speakeasys where women first started to drink in publicly to a greater extent.

I like it legal as then we get the taxes, and the purity is more assured.

Just because I don't choose to jump out of perfectly good airplanes does not mean sky diving should be outlawed either.

My feeling is that you can't successfully legislate morality. Never. I think that all substances should be legal, and sold only to 18 years old and above, taxed, purity and strength assured, and let Darwinism take over.

See, I would still not use any of it except for my drugs of choice today, caffeine and theobromine.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  

There's always multiple sides to such a hot topic, but in my humble opinion, government has no business legislating use of -anything- that, when used responsibly, has no ill effect on an individual or those around him/her. You can apply this idea to anything.. alcohol, weed, driving, gun control, etc etc. (No, i'm not trying to get off topic, just elaborating on the idea.)

Now I can understand that all of those examples have negative potential when misused, but should government make any abused item or substance illegal if mass amounts of people were abusing it?

For example, if tomorrow it became extremely common for people to get stabbed with ballpoint pens, should we outlaw possession of them?

If tomorrow, mass amounts of people were killed in careless car accidents, should we outlaw driving? Oh wait.. mass amounts of people -are- killed by careless driving every day..

See where I'm going with this?
Old 10-17-2011, 02:47 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

theobromine.

Isn't this the substance in chocolate?
Old 10-17-2011, 05:08 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Here in Vegas it is legal to sell booze 24/7. Personally I feel that is just fine. In fact I had to come out to Clark County to quit drinking! Try and figure that one out.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:42 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Mr Average,
Good answer. I think we are just kindred spirits by military service. (Either that or you dress funny! ) Although you are a lot younger and I'm retired AF.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:43 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Least,
Yep, that is the caffeine related drug in chocolate.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:36 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  

I know for me its all about my thinking....and I would have never discovered this if I didnt drink alcoholicly.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:46 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Well I clicked No because honestly. Making it illegal isn't going to stop people from getting it somehow just like weed and other drugs. they are illegal but people still have access to them. Also not ALL people become alcoholics. Me for instance I could have been a normal drinker had my cousins peer pressured me to down beers first night I drank ever. But hey I don't blame them for my addiction just a sign on how I never knew how todrink normally. Stricter laws etc etc is still not going to prevent anything, someone and somewhere there will always be access, legal or not. Just can't imagine all the trouble that might occur if alcohol was banned tomorrow Im guessing people who drank for years have no access tomorrow to it and have major deadly withdrawals which can kill depending on how much you drink per day. Im not saying its a bad idea just realistic although there are other countries out there that ban alcohol period! nice question and post though