Notices
View Poll Results: Should alcohol be made illegal?
Absolutly
11.25%
Create Law: Only a certain body alcohol level is legal
1.22%
Just make current laws stricter
4.56%
Just produce more danger awareness advirtisments
10.03%
Just change the legal drinking age
1.22%
No
71.73%
Voters: 329. You may not vote on this poll

Should alcohol be made illegal???

Old 02-27-2011, 03:23 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ItsMe23 View Post
I do not think alcohol should be made illegal. Sure it does produce a share of problems for society and i think it has been named the number 1 most damaging substance in the past year. But making it illegal would only make things worse.

I honestly think that everything should be legal, It should be a persons choice what they do to their own bodies and what they consume.
I think if everything were made legal we'd have chaos on our hands. Alcohol is widely accepted and partaken by most of Americans because of it's availability. Liquor stores, bars, restaurants, etc. If cocaine, heroin, extacy and so forth were made that easy to gain possession of, addicts would be everywhere, millions sick, over dosing, corrupted children, loss of educational interest. I think the message of drugs and alcohol can be harmful but it's ok to do... it's just "your choice", would not be a beneficial message. Banning it creates the message that it's unsafe and addicting. I don't want my child growing up in a world where by age 18 she can walk to the convenient store and buy some cocaine... What ever happened to D.A.R.E???
I think marijuana is a different subject, its not a drug, its a plant, however legalizing it would create a lot of lazy people. Imagine taking a lunch break at work, every takes a pot break instead of a cigarette break... I don't think the rest of the day would be very productive.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:31 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Do you honestly believe that if those substances were no long illegal, that everyone would rush out and buy some? No, they wouldn't. If they want to use them, they will, right now, even while they are illegal. The difference would be that people who already use those substances would be able to purchase them legally, without fear of arrest. The pushers would be out of business. The drug gangs would be out of business. It would create a nice source of revenue for the states. Having drugs illegal has caused much more chaos than legalizing them ever could.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
Do you honestly believe that if those substances were no long illegal, that everyone would rush out and buy some? No, they wouldn't. If they want to use them, they will, right now, even while they are illegal. The difference would be that people who already use those substances would be able to purchase them legally, without fear of arrest. The pushers would be out of business. The drug gangs would be out of business. It would create a nice source of revenue for the states. Having drugs illegal has caused much more chaos than legalizing them ever could.
Fear of the police is a good thing. It's means there aware there doing something wrong. More money... like this world needs more money from corrupt causes. Yes, I am highly aware that people are already selling and consuming drugs even though its illegal. So does that mean if our drug dealers turn into the convenience store clerk, that makes it ok??? The reason why drug dealers are so dangerous are because of WHAT they are distributing. I don't think legalizing drugs is a good message for our kids.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:38 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

@ Suki

I think 'yes' some of them would go out and buy it. I believe that a ban acts as a deterrent. Removing a ban removes the deterrent surely.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Men kill more people than women, by a large margin. In fact, men kill more humans than alcohol, drugs, cars, guns, pit bulls and natural disasters combined do. (Seriously. Look it up.)
Let's kill men!
Sure, most men are benign, and they are a natural substance and plenty of people like men. But if we ban men world-wide, we'll almost eliminate violent death, corrupted children, lazy people, etc.

Hell I don't want my child to grow up in a world where by age 18 she can encounter men. Man are dangerous. look at all the stuff men have started.

I want a world ruled by government-approved, bible-reading, obedient women. That's what I want. Nobody would ever die, it would be so cool.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:42 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
A work in progress

LOL@Stevie.

See, this is why AA doesn't get involved in the debate. They aren't for or against.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:44 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Originally Posted by Stimmed View Post
@ Suki

I think 'yes' some of them would go out and buy it. I believe that a ban acts as a deterrent. Removing a ban removes the deterrent surely.
Some might, but most wouldn't. Having drugs illegal hasn't been much of a deterrent so far, so there goes that argument.

Again, you are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. The question was asked and a poll started. From the looks of the poll, you pretty much have your answer as to what we think.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:45 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Originally Posted by Stevie1 View Post
Men kill more people than women, by a large margin. In fact, men kill more humans than alcohol, drugs, cars, guns, pit bulls and natural disasters combined do. (Seriously. Look it up.)
Let's kill men!
Sure, most men are benign, and they are a natural substance and plenty of people like men. But if we ban men world-wide, we'll almost eliminate violent death, corrupted children, lazy people, etc.

Hell I don't want my child to grow up in a world where by age 18 she can encounter men. Man are dangerous. look at all the stuff men have started.

I want a world ruled by government-approved, bible-reading, obedient women. That's what I want. Nobody would ever die, it would be so cool.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:45 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Say if Heroin was legal and affordable, then poss' half the planet would be out to lunch and nothing would get done!

I seriously doubt that half the planet would be junkies... The people who want to do heroin are doing it, legal or not. Making something illegal doesn't seem to be much of a deterrent. It certainly didn't deter me...
Old 02-27-2011, 03:51 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

Man the humour on this site just cracks me up sometimes!
Old 02-27-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Why am I the only one who think that drugs and alcohol shouldn't be paraded around like Jolly Old St Nick??????
Old 02-27-2011, 03:56 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Originally Posted by Ashley121210 View Post
Why am I the only one who think that drugs and alcohol shouldn't be paraded around like Jolly Old St Nick??????
No one here has said that. You asked if we thought alcohol should be made illegal. Most of us don't.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:56 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

@ Suki

I think if a ban saved just one life, the ban is justified and worthwhile. But i think you know as well as i do, it would save a lot more than that, so its value would increase.

ps the poll is still yet to develop i'll wager.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:58 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Alcohol does kill. Sometimes. But you could say the same for cars, butter knives, ropes, and rocks. It's not the thing itself, but what people do with it.

It's hard for me to rationalize why alcohol is legal and marijuana isn't. But I don't think prohibition prevents abuse, and I don't think legalization ensures it. Marijuana is essentially legal in California now—anyone can walk into a clinic, say they have chronic back pain or trouble sleeping, and walk out with a one-year permit to buy dope. But most people in California, despite rumors to the contrary, do not want to smoke weed.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:59 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Peanut butter can be deadly to those with peanut allergy. Should peanut butter be banned? Again, millions of products could be banned if it were strictly a safety issue. It is not. Personal freedom and personal responsibility go hand-in-hand. If you have a problem with alcohol, it is your responsibility to deal with that. Don't expect the government to step in and make something illegal that is not a problem for the vast majority of people.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:04 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
No one here has said that. You asked if we thought alcohol should be made illegal. Most of us don't.
I think everyone is entitled to there own opinion and am simply responding back to what I read. I'm not upset by any of it, I guess I'm just shocked by the replies. I thought they would be much different.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:10 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I picked "Just make more danger awareness..." I waffled between that and just "No."

I think people (kids and grown-up kids, ie, adults) will do what they will do.

I haven't compared the laws between North America and Europe, for example, so I don't know if I am ill-informed through mythology...but I assume that the absence of laws like "No drinking under 21" (which is 19 in Canada and I think 18 in Quebec) don't amount to crummier results when it comes to drinking safely.

When you flip it the other way though, I wouldn't say people in those countries where it is more lax are quicker to catch on to the problems that drinking can cause; or to be less in pain because of their experience with alcoholism. I have gotten an eyeopener from my friends here about Great Britain, for example. I didn't realize there was so much bingeing.

I don't think prohibitions will accomplish anything better than last time. We would just see a resurgence of moonshine and scary substitutes with no regulation on them of any kind. I'm not being harsh about the Reagans, but Just Say No wasn't/isn't the cure-all for drugs and it wouldn't be for alcohol either.

When it comes down to it, I think education can help, but that's putting a lot of faith in those two little words and not that much guarantee. I wasn't the dumbest fork it the silverware drawer and I certainly had to find out the hard way. For those that don't heed the education or cannot, then it takes them going through the awful journey and hopefully gaining from the experience of others (like people here and in AA, etc) on how to come out of it and stay that way.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:11 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I'm not upset either. I'm just trying to explain how you do not want to give the government that much power over it. Once you give away a right to the government, you will likely never get it back. Think long and hard before you start asking the government to start banning stuff you don't like.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:11 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What should really be illlegal is being mean or irresponsible. Just think, if no one was allowed to be mean or irresponsible... what a great world it would be... we wouldn't need cops or courts.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:13 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Can someone tell me the positives of alcohol??? Maybe this would help me understand it's validity