Notices

Ready to Talk

Old 02-27-2011, 08:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ready to Talk

First, the group here is the best of all of many I have viewed over the past few months. I recovered in 1986. I was sober for a long time. I achieved my career dream and must have become over-confident because I lost my "radar". I met a man who was Prince Charming. (He is really a manic-depressive, bi-polar, bi-sexual who has some serious issues.) He should be up for an Academy Award. He is also an alcoholic/drug addict (kept very well hidden until we married). He attempted suicide about 6 years ago and I cracked. Trying to help him, I allowed his problems and negative thoughts to take away my long sobriety. I am not placing blame -- I just lost my strength. He was abusive and controlling and I was living in fear. He didn't work much and had a large inheritence coming. When his Dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer, things got worse. He left one day to go help his parents and never came back. That was 10/19/10 and the next day I started looking for help. I have had 3 short lapses, but have been sobor ever since.

This forum is helping me dig out of a very black hole while trying to deal with a divorce. As is often the case, he left and yet he is being very vindictive about everything. I had to get a restraining order, change the locks, etc., because he has done a few things to hurt me and I am physically afraid of him. (There is much more but I am trying to give you a snapshot.)

I belong to an AA based support group. When I found this site, I knew I found my jewel. Just being able to read a story every morning is helping me gain confidence. I am not sleeping well, but when I do sleep I wake feeling "dead". I hope someone can relate and share what they have learned to make that feeling last for shorter periods. It's very hard to face each day but once I stop and read, I can usually start to turn it around and up feeling good.

I so appreciate all of you and your open sharing. You have already helped more than anything in my life. Thank you.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome.

I, too, had "long term" sobriety and relapsed. My fellowship-only involvement in AA eventually caught up with me.

But without that experience, I wouldn't be writing this today. I've recovered from alcoholism through the program (the 12 Steps) of AA.

Hang in there...
Old 02-27-2011, 08:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family from another Buckeye. This forum has helped me so much. I hope we can be as much help to you.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Welcome to SR!

It's good that you are in a support program for your sobriety, but I'm also wondering if it might be a good idea for you to find a support program for physical violence you have endured. Going through something like that can leave long-term psychological scars, which could be the reason you are still not sleeping well and living with fear and dread.

Again, welcome to SR. You will find a lot of support here.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community....

I've been useing SR as a supplement to my local AA
it's a tremendous resource...glad you decided to join us
Old 02-27-2011, 08:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Stopping the Train...

Location: Sevierville, TN - in the valley of the Great Smoky Mountains
Welcome to SR!! I'm very glad you have made to choice to get back into wanting to get better. Not everyone does. You're an inspiration!
Old 02-27-2011, 09:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome!
Old 02-27-2011, 10:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR!

This is a great place to come when you need some support or inspiration.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome...glad you are here.

I had a dream last night I relapsed...hate when that happens. I'm only 31 days in and I was afraid upon waking it was true. UGH!

I've had "more than a few" situations that kept me from considering recovery. Good for you to have been sober for so long -you can get back to where you were.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome AD - your post describes something I went through after meeting a guy in treatment (my 2nd rehab)....... He was a former priest (turns out a few churches "let him go"), told me he was a writer and an artist (both lies), very charming, very sensitive, very intellectual, and very mentally screwed up. He had me thinking I was a crazy person and did all the checking my mail, calling 30 times a day ...... stuff that could fill two or three threads, for sure, and some of it pretty scary.
I almost married him (he had moved in with me and talked about working on a novel - couldn't even keep a job at a bookstore - he was 50). He died in a house fire after we broke up - drunk and on drugs, I'm sure.

I know this is all beside the point, but I just wanted to say I can empathize (big time!).......:ghug3 And you're so right about this forum - it's a true jewel. Coming here every day has been the perfect support for me.

Things are going to get better - keep doing what is best for you and don't look back!:day6
Old 02-27-2011, 02:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR AdamsDown
I know you'll find support here - good to have you with us

D