Notices

Newcomer meetings?

Old 02-26-2011, 01:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Riding Barefoot

Newcomer meetings?

I am 90 days sober today. I would like to attend a meeting and there is one at a convenient time and location. It is a newcomer meeting. I guess I am not exactly a newcomer anymore, but my question is Who goes to these meetings besides people who are interested in finding out about AA? I guess in short my question is Would I be welcome? Although I can hardly imagine AA-ers being anything but welcoming. Would it be a good idea for me to attend this meeting?
Old 02-26-2011, 01:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Im new to this too. I went to my first meeting last night and another this morning. They were the most welcoming group of people I have ever been around. I think you would enjoy it. Only 2 meetings and I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I hope you try it.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Riding Barefoot

Thanks for your response and I am glad you have gone. I may not have made myself clear: I have already been to around 25 or so meetings. I am not really new to AA in that I understand what it is about. I feel this meeting tugging at me for some reason. Maybe I am meant to be there for a true newcomer? Perhaps I an answering my own question?
Old 02-26-2011, 01:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Absolutely.... I am 2.5 years and one of my favorite meetings is a newcomers meeting... There are people there who are 5,10 20 years...

Newcomers meetings generally focus on the first 3 steps.. Nothing wrong with keeping those current!
Old 02-26-2011, 01:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Would it be a good idea for me to attend this meeting?
Yes, I love newcomers meetings. They are a spiritual wack on the nogging for me when I am feeling complacent in my sobriety.

Beth
Old 02-26-2011, 01:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DrunkenBasement View Post
Thanks for your response and I am glad you have gone. I may not have made myself clear: I have already been to around 25 or so meetings. I am not really new to AA in that I understand what it is about. I feel this meeting tugging at me for some reason. Maybe I am meant to be there for a true newcomer? Perhaps I an answering my own question?
If your not careful you might accidentally help a nube Seriously, A first timer is going to relate too you much better than that 20 year person.

Please go, Ron
Old 02-26-2011, 02:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Riding Barefoot

It seems like such a silly question now! thanks for the wisdom everyone.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The experience of someone with 90 days is much more relevant to someone with 9 hours than someone with 9 years.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have heard it said that newcomers are considered to be in the first year of sobriety. This may or may not be true.

I also know that people with longer periods of sobriety, and/or quality of sobriety often attend newcomer meetings to help the newcomer.

I am sure you would be welcome!

With regard to your second post...

Maybe it is a calling to go, in that some part of you desires to know if you have missed anything in your foundation of early sobriety that you may hear in a newcomers meeting!

Old 02-26-2011, 08:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think it's also important to point out that time does not equal better or stronger sobriety. If someone talks about how much time they have, it's probably all they have.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

CONGRATULATIONS on 90 days sober!!! 7 You're an inspiration to me! If I went to a newcomer meeting I'd be grateful to see someone there with 90 days!
Old 02-27-2011, 08:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

DB, My home group is a beginners meeting, although it is a small group 8-10 normal attendees and 3-4 who come and go, there is a lot of good sobriety there.

Most of the older members in my group (people with 3-12 years plus one with 29 years), prefer the newcomer type meetings because we tend to discuss the issues that earned us a chair and in their opinion, it keeps it fresh. Plus they have the ability to pass it along with the newcomers who show up.

I have been sober for almost 6 months now, but intend on staying right where I am. Now, I am sure there are better meetings out there, but I am happy and sober right where I am.

I think it is most important to find a group you are comfortable being in, not necessarily what is being discussed. If you decided to take the sponsor route, you can discuss the other stuff with that person or persons. Often our group will move off the beginner topics when someone is dealing with a particular issue.

In thinking about it I have the best of both worlds. A newcomer meeting for me as I am new, and tons of experience to look towards.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done on your sober time....

I often go to Newcomers..to share my es&H
and re charge my recovery.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Stopping the Train...

Location: Sevierville, TN - in the valley of the Great Smoky Mountains
I am 90 days sober today.
:day6 CONGRATS!!!

I guess I am not exactly a newcomer anymore, but my question is Who goes to these meetings besides people who are interested in finding out about AA? I guess in short my question is Would I be welcome? Although I can hardly imagine AA-ers being anything but welcoming. Would it be a good idea for me to attend this meeting?
You are still a newcomer.

In NA you're not even really considered anything else until you hit about 5 yrs clean. Not a lot of people make it to that point. Quantity of time does not always mean quality recovery, however. I have to watch how the old-timers live. Do they try to the best of their ability to live a better life or do they still act out in sick ways without trying to change drinkin'/druggin' behaviors?

I love newcomer meetings. When I first came in I was told the person with one day clean can help the person coming in for the first time. How did I make it 24 hours? Newcomer meetings keep things fresh for me. Keeps me reminded of why I don't want to go back to using. I have 6 months this time around after being clean for almost 2 yrs the first time.

I can help the person just coming in with my ES&H on how I got where I am. I can be the tool my HP uses to give back what I've been so freely given in the program of NA. Same thing for AA. Even though I work the NA program - there has been the addict in NA that related better to me.

You will be VERY welcomed! You will help remind those with time remember where they came from - and you will possibly be able to help the newcomer just coming in.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Riding Barefoot

Just wanted to check back in and let you know how it went. It was great! It really did not feel any different from any other meeting. I heard a lot of great stories and shares. I talked to a lot of people before and after the meeting and at the break. I was invited to go out after with some people, which I badly needed to do and so I did and had a lot of fun.
It is true that the person with 9 hours can related to someone with 90 days moreso than the person with 9 years. Can't believe I forgot that... I had about 9 hours when I attended a meeting and remember hearing a guy say he was celebrating 90 days. That is the only thing I remember about that meeting because it was something much more attainable than the people with 23 years, even though at the time 90 days still seemed like a lot! Things have a funny way of working out... I saw that same man last night and he was celebrating 6 months! I told him about that meeting that I first saw him, that he was the only thing I really remembered, and that I had just celebrated 90 days. He was very happy for me, and I was very happy for him.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Way to go on 90 DB!

In my area, unfortunately, the newcomers meetings are primarily attended by court orders, and a lot of people are very vocal about being there simply because they HAVE to be there, and don't WANT to be there. I get a lot more out of the other groups.

But that's just in my area. Yours may be different. Congrats again on 90!

Zube
Old 02-28-2011, 09:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Newcomer meetings are great b/c the focus is on the newcomer and what that is like. It's easy to forget the pain and misery of being an active alcoholic trying to get sober.

Keep us all in check and hopefully in the solution.

...and if you've got some time in the program and you've worked the steps, this can be a perfect meeting to find someone who needs a sponsor.

Kjell