Notices

Feeling hopeless

Old 02-26-2011, 09:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I have tried AA in the past but I can't buy the higher power thing because I am very scientifically minded. It won't work for someone like me because I don't buy a lot of it. In fact many times I left meetings wanting to drink more than when I got there. A lot of it is the God thing. I am happy it works for many people, it's just not for me. I'm looking into SMART and other alternatives.

And Newby, I do know all of this...I know what I have to do, I just have problems doing it. It is so easy after a week of not drinking to forget what the pain feels like and just saying **** it. I've gotten to the point where I don't care much about anything and that's really sad to me. I used to be a different person (a long, long time ago) and I want that back.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jerseytomato View Post
I have tried AA in the past but I can't buy the higher power thing because I am very scientifically minded. It won't work for someone like me because I don't buy a lot of it. In fact many times I left meetings wanting to drink more than when I got there. A lot of it is the God thing. I am happy it works for many people, it's just not for me. I'm looking into SMART and other alternatives.

And Newby, I do know all of this...I know what I have to do, I just have problems doing it. It is so easy after a week of not drinking to forget what the pain feels like and just saying **** it. I've gotten to the point where I don't care much about anything and that's really sad to me. I used to be a different person (a long, long time ago) and I want that back.
OK-- best of luck to you.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:45 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hang in there, Tomato!
Old 02-26-2011, 09:58 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks much Jay.

I have been going on and off for 2 years now and in my experience with the program I hear over and over that I can't get sober without a higher power. I know many people truly believe this and that is why 12 step programs work for them. That is great for those who can give it away. I just cannot. I do believe I have a choice not to drink, I chose to right? I am an atheist and I have been most of my life. I have even tried making the group my higher power.

There are people here who are sober without 12 step programs aren't there? There is more than one way to skin a cat and I refuse to believe that there is only one way to get sober. Any experiences with other kinds of recovery are welcomed.

Thanks for all of your feedback and support everyone it is truly appreciated.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:05 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm sober with the weekly help of my addiction counselor and this site. My counselor helped me want to stop and now that I have, she just cheers me on. Coming here every day reminds me of the struggle with drinking and my desire not to go back there. Sharing my experience helps the newcomer get sober and helps me stay sober.

I'd suggest a good addiction counselor. MIne is a lifesaver.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:51 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post

You're a Jersey girl, for Pete's sake...we are strong and tenacious! I was born and raised in North Jersey! You can do this badabing badaboom!
:ghug3
Yeah, Tomato, you gotta pull it out. There are no excuses for a drunk Jersey girl!

...No pressure!

I've been to lots of AA meetings in NJ and there's some great recovery going on there and always a meeting somewhere nearby.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:59 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

JT - I sent you a PM.