Notices

What do you value?

Old 02-26-2011, 04:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What do you value?

Been thinking a lot about what's important now that I'm been sober for sometime.
It use to be all about me. That old selfish me.
Now I find myself thinking of others and trying to giving back and always doing the right thing no matter what.
Curious to know how others feel, with some soberity under their belt.
Have you noticed that your thinking has changed? What is different?
Old 02-26-2011, 04:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I value my peace of mind and sobriety, which allows me to value other 'things' like my dogs and my home and my family.

I am much more positive these days. I no longer dwell on the past or worry about the future like I used to do. I am learning from my dogs how to live in the present, to cherish the moment and live in it, as they do. I am so much happier than I used to be and it's noticeable by others. I am a happy influence instead of a depressing one.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

Originally Posted by least View Post
I value my peace of mind and sobriety, which allows me to value other 'things' like my dogs and my home and my family.

I am much more positive these days. I no longer dwell on the past or worry about the future like I used to do. I am so much happier than I used to be and it's noticeable by others. .
Hi Cactus.

My thinking has def' changed and for the better. Least has it in a nutshell for me, except i dont have any pets. I feel i live in a completely dif' world now and its alot more happier place for me to be than i previously percieved.

From my sobriety, among a great many things i value at the top, is my health which enables me to get closer to my potential. In that respect 'eating well' for me is a big deal bc i never really looked after myself while drinking (obviously). Now i that i do, i just feel better. I dont shove it under anyones nose but i really enjoy the oppertunity to make good food for family/friends. It has been a key part in my recovery helping me to feel physicaly and mentaly stronger, not to mention the help in re-aquiring the socials skills that were almost lost, that in-turn gave me back my confidence in a great many area's.

Ive always been a person of patience but i am now much more conciderate of others.
'Time', i have come to realise is the most valuable commodity we have, and to do ones best with it is to really 'achieve'. Now im sober i miss if any, a lot less oppertunities, i even create them.
To point out another important change i have experienced would be to say, i am a lot more aware now of a sense of 'well being', which sometimes is quite overwhelming and after 3yrs still feels quite new. Im not moved almost to the point of tears, but rather a 'siiiiiigh', its over, and it just feels good. This feeling alone makes the early stages worth the slog and i still get change for my money.

I cannot see (not that iv looked) any negative area's in sobriety.
The things that i mention blend with many aothers and is surely the reason why people in my life relate to me the way they do.

Seriously im grateful beyond words i cut the drink.

How long are you sober Cactus?