Notices

Attending my first meeting

Old 02-25-2011, 07:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Attending my first meeting

Welp I am taking the much needed advise you fine people (and nosey Ron) have given me. I am going to a meeting tonight. I actually talked to a guy named “Frank”. He said the meeting is at 8:00 it’s a speaker and an open meeting. He wants me to come to the “meet and eat” at 7:00 first though. Which, I said I would do. He said he would introduce me to the ladies there and that this will be the hardest thing I have had to do in a really long time. Im committed to going (promised nosey Ron) but man I am scared to death. I keep get a rush of emotions over me like I could start crying. Im weird I know!
Old 02-25-2011, 07:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Don't worry you'll be just fine. Most people feel that way its part of the deal. You just have to remember people are way to into themselves to think about what your up to lol.
I've been to thousands of meetings and I still sometimes feel nervous which is totally crazy but my head likes to take me on trips with all these crazy thoughts. Let us know how it went for you? At least you are going to a speakers mtg your getting off easy cause you won't have to be called on to share. Not sure if you know this guy who is taking you to your meeting but its part of some mens ammo to ask a woman to drive her and then they throw in the "well lets go to dinner". Sometimes you have to be careful around the rooms not everyone is there for recovery. Hook up with the ladies. I was told the women will save your a** the men will pat it lol. I will say though I have tons of great men friends, probably more men than women to be honest. PS don't forget to order a huge steak lol

Last edited by newby1961; 02-25-2011 at 07:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-25-2011, 07:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

The anticipation is SO much worse than the reality..... Once you get there, you'll be fine!

I think this is a great (and courageous!) move. Remind yourself to take it one minute at a time today, and remember that this is a positive move for you. You're investing in yourself and you deserve it!:ghug3

Glad you made contact with "Frank" - it helps to have someone break the ice for us. I always found AA to be pretty much like this forum - we all have so much in common and to be frank, I'd rather hang out with recovering alcoholics than a lot of the "normal" folks out there!!!
Old 02-25-2011, 07:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

HAHA no way. he isnt taking me. Im driving myself. He even said he would introduce me to the ladies once I got there. I just spoke with him first and Im glad I have a contact.

Originally Posted by newby1961 View Post
Don't worry you'll be just fine. Most people feel that way its part of the deal. You just have to remember people are way to into themselves to think about what your up to lol.
I've been to thousands of meetings and I still sometimes feel nervous which is totally crazy but my head likes to take me on trips with all these crazy thoughts. Let us know how it went for you? At least you are going to a speakers mtg your getting off easy cause you won't have to be called on to share. Not sure if you know this guy who is taking you to your meeting but its part of some mens ammo to ask a woman to drive her and then they throw in the "well lets go to dinner". Sometimes you have to be careful around the rooms not everyone is there for recovery. Hook up with the ladies. I was told the women will save your a** the men will pat it lol. I will say though I have tons of great men friends, probably more men than women to be honest. PS don't forget to order a huge steak lol
Old 02-25-2011, 08:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

I think it's great that you've finally decided to get to a meeting. It really is an important step.

Trust me, it's soooooo much worse in your mind than the reality actually will be. I know people can get nervous about going to meetings, but I also think you'll find that there is a certain comfort level there. It really does feel good be around people who understand what you are going through.

Just try to stay positive about the whole experience, and it likely will end up being positive for you. I think that's an awesome way to spend your Friday evening.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Strive to be alive!

OklaBH, you've made a wise choice. I love my home group. I"ll pray that you find the same benefits in AA that I and so many other have.

Good luck
Old 02-25-2011, 08:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you! I will post how it goes. I have alot running through my mind.
1. what if it is boring
2. what if the people are rude
3. what if they judge me
4. what if I know someone there
5. what if my work finds out (little town)
6. what do I bring/wear
Old 02-25-2011, 08:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

7. what if I actually enjoy it
Old 02-25-2011, 08:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OklaBH View Post
1. what if it is boring
3. what if they judge me
6. what do I bring/wear
Depends on the speaker, have heard some absolutely unforgettable open talks.

Guy killed a pedestrian, even though he was exonerated, you could see how it affected him. If he hadn't been drinking, he wouldn't have been there.

Another guy, close to an end stage alcoholic, sobered up when he was still a young man, has had a long and very successful life, shared how he attended a White House dinner with Nelson Mandela sitting next to him, Mandela speaking to him about his decades in prison and how forgiveness helped him to not only survive, but flourish.

They will probably welcome you with open arms.

Alcoholics judging other alcoholics? Hmmm.

If you know someone there, they'll probably be happy to see you.
Living in a small town, willing to bet that more people know about your drinking habits than you realize.

Casual dress is fine.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sailorjohn View Post
If you know someone there, they'll probably be happy to see you.
Living in a small town, willing to bet that more people know about your drinking habits than you realize.
Geez...that is so true. I dont know who I think I have been trying to kid all this time.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Snarf View Post
7. what if I actually enjoy it

thanks snarf. I hope I l ike and I hope they like me too.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I think you're going to do great
Old 02-25-2011, 10:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SSIL75 View Post
I think you're going to do great
I hope so! Ive been kinda sad today thinking about it. I keep having these thoughts that I will NEVER have fun again. See before I had to plan everything around my drinking. If I couldnt drink at the event, I would get buzzed before and hide some in the car. I was thinking earlier that going to the meeting is the END for me. Freaking crazy I know. I enjoy life more and Im more active when Im sober so I dont know where these thoughts are coming from.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

1. what if it is boring
3. what if they judge me
6. what do I bring/wear
This is called projecting. Let it be. It is what it is. There is no downside to going to a meeting.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I hope so! Ive been kinda sad today thinking about it. I keep having these thoughts that I will NEVER have fun again. See before I had to plan everything around my drinking. If I couldnt drink at the event, I would get buzzed before and hide some in the car. I was thinking earlier that going to the meeting is the END for me. Freaking crazy I know. I enjoy life more and Im more active when Im sober so I dont know where these thoughts are coming from.
I felt the same way and it stopped me from getting sober for sure. I really think it's just the alcoholism talking though. I'm enjoying life much more now.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

What if they help you recover?

What if you meet terrific sober women that will support you on your path to your new sober way of life?

What if you learn to change, and are able to help another suffering woman change her life as a result of your change?

Ah, such possibilities...

My sponsor tells me when I go to a meeting to be "one of many".

There is no unity in being different.

We get to go to AA, many don't make it.

We get this opportunity to learn from people that have experience, strength and hope to share after recovering from a hopeless state of mind and body.

We are the lucky ones.

Also my sponsor would say, "utilize don't analyze"...what can you use to help you stay sober another day? What can you hear at a meeting, learn at a meeting, that you can apply to your sobriety?

Have a wonderful time.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Veritas1 View Post
What if they help you recover?

What if you meet terrific sober women that will support you on your path to your new sober way of life?

What if you learn to change, and are able to help another suffering woman change her life as a result of your change?

Ah, such possibilities...

My sponsor tells me when I go to a meeting to be "one of many".

There is no unity in being different.

We get to go to AA, many don't make it.

We get this opportunity to learn from people that have experience, strength and hope to share after recovering from a hopeless state of mind and body.

We are the lucky ones.

Also my sponsor would say, "utilize don't analyze"...what can you use to help you stay sober another day? What can you hear at a meeting, learn at a meeting, that you can apply to your sobriety?

Have a wonderful time.

Thank you for that. I feel like I am walking into a set up or like Im going to a funeral. I dont know why I am being so dramatic. I have been reading so much today about recovery. One thing I read was not to be over enthusiastic. So should I be excited about a new life or fight it? I dont get it.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

1. what if it is boring
3. what if they judge me
6. what do I bring/wear
I've been to two meetings. I was really excited to go. I guess I just knew it was time. Not nervous -except wondering who'd be there.
People aren't rude on the contrary they are overly anxious to make you feel welcome and comfortable. No one "makes" to say anything or do anything you aren't ready for. But me being a gabber jumped right in! =)
You may know people...I did and I was kinda glad to see them! LOL I come from a really small town (about 1,000) but these folks are high on the list when it comes to confidentiality...because just as easy for them to go gossip YOU could certainly do the same. It's a trust thang.
Bring what you feel comfortable bringing -they would be just glad YOU were there...wear what you're comfortable in. No one breaks out the jewels and furs.
Good Luck and let us know what happened. It's not really that bad.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the best thing to do is just...go there B....& then take it from there.
You'll be worn out with all the what ifs otherwise

D
Old 02-25-2011, 01:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Awesome

How wonderful for you to be going to an AA meeting...go and enjoy yourself.