Notices

non aa program?

Old 02-24-2011, 10:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question non aa program?

is there any programs tht arent aa? i feel aa is just not for me or my religion.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is a list for you to explore...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

Not all of our members use a structured program
and they too are winning over alcohol.

I do use God and AA...so have no other experience to share.

All my best ...
Old 02-25-2011, 03:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Tigerlover, Welcome to SR! I wanted to reply to your post because I, too, wanted to find an alternative to AA. Not that I have any issues with AA but I felt that I wanted to approach my sobriety differently. I found some others here that suggested I find an addiction counselor and that's what I did. I started yesterday with her and I think this will really work for me. I really like the one on one instead of a group. I feel that SR is my group that I can share with and get the support so I really wanted that one on one support also. Best to you on your recovery!
Old 02-25-2011, 04:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

There are other paths to recovery. But just to get one thing straight, AA is not a religious program. The idea of a Higher Power embraces whatever concept of God (including no diety) you may have. I have friends who are atheists and agnostics (including Buddhists, adherents of an a-theistic religion) who are happily sober in AA.

So the idea AA is not "for" your particular beliefs is incorrect.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sarpashana

I'm finding sarpashana, a Buddhist-based program, encouraging. (you can download the sourcebook free at Sarpashana Sourcebook There are some groups on the west coast, but not here.)

I too found AA problematic. I think the people who find it the only way have great groups four support. That isn't the case everywhere. My local groups focus so much on talking about drinking instead of healing that I left. I want to concentrate on my new ilfe, not the past. (And don't tell me Find another group. Its not like that in fly-over country.)

I've found a lot of encouragement and support here, and its the first place I turn.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Any AA member that tells you AA is the only way....
is absolutely incorrect.
I suggest they read the BB a bit more it clearly states
that it is not for everyone.

Let's not turn this thread into yet another circle of
AA vs. anything else.
Please respect each other as we all strive to improve our lives

:
Old 02-25-2011, 06:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
There are other paths to recovery. But just to get one thing straight, AA is not a religious program. The idea of a Higher Power embraces whatever concept of God (including no diety) you may have. I have friends who are atheists and agnostics (including Buddhists, adherents of an a-theistic religion) who are happily sober in AA.

So the idea AA is not "for" your particular beliefs is incorrect.
thanks for answering my question
Old 02-25-2011, 10:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I'm a non-theist (basically weak atheism) and use a secular addiction treatment programs. SMART Recovery offers a good recovery program. They have F2F meetings and an internet forum too. I like recovery programs that don't use quasi-theist concepts.

And it is true that no one program is suitable for everybody. I know, I had to find this truth out the hard and painful way.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

I have a life coach and SR for group support. This has worked for me for over 7 months where I have been happy and growing as a human being. I also read self-help books and have done so for awhile (Background info - I've never been able to get quit drinking for more than 6 days before).
Old 03-01-2011, 11:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Rational Recovery

Originally Posted by tigerlover View Post
is there any programs tht arent aa? i feel aa is just not for me or my religion.
This is not a "program" in the traditional sense, but Rational RecoveryŽ provides instruction on a method for independent self recovery that does not require higher powers, meetings, sponsors, shrinks, counselors, or rehabs.

They have a free basic "crash course" on their web site
The book "Rational Recovery: The New Cure for Substance Addiction" is good and provides far more detail than the crash course. It is available on Amazon for less than $12, or at most "chain" book stores like Barnes & Noble for $17.

They also have a newer book called "The Art of AVRT," which is available on their web site, but I have not read it, so I can't comment on it.

- JBC
Old 03-01-2011, 12:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm and atheist and found the spiritual / metaphysical aspects of AA distracting, to say the least. I joined SOS (Secular Organizations for Sobriety, aka Save Our Selves) and find it quite helpful. In Toronto SOS meets weekly. I also read Rational Recover and am now reading Empowering Your Sober Self by Martin Nicolaus and enjoying it.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
In Memory of Dave

I choose AA but anything you put between you and a drug or a drink is better than the life we had. Places like this bringing us together to excange our stories and gives us options. Everytime someone posts thier pain or thier successes it helps someone here.Its amazing how all of us have so much in common and so are different as well,but addiction is addiction,it doesnt discriminate.Recovery should be the same,Anyway you can.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Your Friend

Hey You!!

Remember that is me!! I was chatting with you earlier about this!! Please Please PM as I really want to have a cohort who feels this way.

Originally Posted by tigerlover View Post
Old 03-16-2011, 04:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post
I'm a non-theist (basically weak atheism) and use a secular addiction treatment programs. SMART Recovery offers a good recovery program. They have F2F meetings and an internet forum too. I like recovery programs that don't use quasi-theist concepts.

And it is true that no one program is suitable for everybody. I know, I had to find this truth out the hard and painful way.
I checked out that site and it sounds like a very good program that doesn't insist on focusing on higher power, rather on your "own" power to heal.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

There's a ton of other ways, and new ones come up every few months. Just pick out the one that you like the best and go for it.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by kiki5711 View Post
I checked out that site and it sounds like a very good program that doesn't insist on focusing on higher power, rather on your "own" power to heal.
From what I know, the current understanding of addiction treatment is to match the needs and characteristics of the individual to a specific treatment modality.

Originally Posted by cabledude View Post
There's a ton of other ways, and new ones come up every few months. Just pick out the one that you like the best and go for it.
Sounds true to me . Being here at SR I have noticed that there are just as many ways to recover as there are people. Also the opposite is true, there just as many ways to fail at recovery.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It can be done, it's still hard work without AA though.

At SMART they accept spiritual beliefs and practices, but that's not the main emphasis of their program.

I'm a fairly traditional Christian, but don't do AA. It's just not around here much. If the traditional, conventional belief of an HP isn't for you then maybe there is something else you are drawn to.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Michelle, i am sober without AA...I work at it but its not hard work...its rewarding wonderful work
Old 03-18-2011, 12:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Tigerlover, which did you pick? Or is it important now?
Old 03-18-2011, 01:04 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

too many to choose