Notices

Girlfriend of a recovering alcoholic

Old 02-25-2011, 08:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PickMe View Post
.....it seems very rigid and I thought that these were supposed to be just "suggestions."
Yes, that (rigid) was my immediate thought, too! Being open-minded can certainly be a virtue when those involved can handle things in a mature and open manner. Unfortunately, alcohol doesn't necessarily want to agree with rational behavior.

........thanks everyone for support and please don't be put off by my occasional temper tantrums. I am a little lost right now.
You're quite welcome! I'm sure no one here minds hearing what you have to say, so please feel free to vent or share anything you'd like. After all, we're all only here to help one another. That's truly the beauty of this place!
Old 02-25-2011, 08:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Emotional Shutdown

Right now I am dealing with finally finding a man as great as my dad. This man is a lot like my dad...all the wonderful qualities, and also the alcoholism. Oops. I think I have "Pick Me" stamped on my forehead in some ink that only addicts can see.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:57 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Oh man.....while I'm not saying I have "all the wonderful qualities" you're describing, but it sounds as though I could be your dad. I have two daughters and a son as well as a great lady - and grandkids, too - and they mean the world to me. Alcoholism has been my only downfall - maybe not as severe as some - but it's certainly been enough of an issue for me to want to quit.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:51 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Oops, sorry, I missed where you said you were going to Al-Anon already.

Well, it sounds as if you are being appropriately cautious. I wish you both the best, honestly. Not saying it can't work, just that it's risky--for both of you.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:02 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Emotional Shutdown

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Oops, sorry, I missed where you said you were going to Al-Anon already.

Well, it sounds as if you are being appropriately cautious. I wish you both the best, honestly. Not saying it can't work, just that it's risky--for both of you.
I am aware it is risky. Like I said, I fell in love with him before he trusted me enough to tell me he was an alcoholic. Had he admitted to being an alcoholic, especially one who hasn't been sober for a while, in the beginning I would not have gone out with him. Too late now. Maybe he played me but I don't think so.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:35 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

My ab did the same thing. I feel like he didn't trust me enough in the beginning to confide his "secrets" to me. Once we dated for about 5 months, I began to notice the drinking little by little. But like you said, I had already fallen in love with him. I believe that everyone and every relationship is different. I am trying very hard to be supportive of my ab but I have also let him know that I will not tolerate his drinking. I told him that it's not like one slip up and I will dump him but it's more like - is he willing to play russian roulette with our relationship? Good luck to you. You sound like you are on the right track!