# 41 (permalink)  
is really trying!

So sorry for all your bad news. Thoughts & prayers with you:ghug3
Old 02-28-2011, 05:00 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
is really trying!

Originally Posted by RebelAngel View Post
So sorry for all your bad news. Thoughts & prayers with you:ghug3
This was supposed to be a reply to Eagles Fan, dunno how it ended up here. Sorry for any confusion :-)
Old 02-28-2011, 06:53 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind words and thoughts everyone. When I woke up yesterday morning I was full of energy and love which I transferred to others that needed it more than I.

I'm now 3 weeks sober and feeling great. It's awesome to have more classmates! Welcome.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:29 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Day 3 is almost over, and no issues. However, being at work keeps me busy and my mind off most things. It will definitely be the weekends that will be the crunch points. Those, and the evenings when 'she, who must be obeyed' goes out with her pals and leaves me without adult supervision......

Anybody got any recipes or ideas for zero sugar, non-alcoholic drinks - preferably fizz-free, or low-fizz? I like to drink tea (not so much coffee), but caffeine free coffee and tea don't quite taste the same; too much caffeine and then sleep becomes a bit of a problem. Most other drinks have stuff in that make my blood sugars go crazy (type 2 diabetes)....
Old 02-28-2011, 08:38 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hi Solly! I just finished my 3rd sober weekend. I spent a lot of time working on household projects and checking in here. I had a massage on Fridays after work to relieve stress before the weekend.

I'm mostly drinking de-tox teas. Even the ones with green tea in them have less caffeine than coffee. Lots of water. My favorite is coconut water. C2o brand is my favorite. I don't have a can handy to see about sugar content.

Have fun today. Each day just gets better and better!
Old 02-28-2011, 08:42 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

In the US most health food stores carry coconut water.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:41 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

just checking in with my February, 2011 classmates. Just finished week one and doing well. Going from 100MPH to Zero is a change but I'm committed so I don't loose everything that is important to me.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:45 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! Sounds like the weekend went well! I spent most of it in hibernation watching movies. I feel so lazy but hey, at least I wasn't drunk or hungover!
Old 02-28-2011, 11:21 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hugger883 View Post
Hi Solly! I just finished my 3rd sober weekend. I spent a lot of time working on household projects and checking in here. I had a massage on Fridays after work to relieve stress before the weekend.

I'm mostly drinking de-tox teas. Even the ones with green tea in them have less caffeine than coffee. Lots of water. My favorite is coconut water. C2o brand is my favorite. I don't have a can handy to see about sugar content.

Have fun today. Each day just gets better and better!
Thanks for that, Hugger. Not sure I've seen coconut water in UK supermarkets - that's not to say they don't have it - just that I've not seen it.

I've always had a problem with drinks....no...no...not just alcoholic ones, but anything, really. I drink lots of tea, generally out of pint mugs. I always seem to drink everything really quickly. I suppose what I'm looking for really, is something I can drink when I'm out - at the pub, in a restaurant - and even at home. Something (apart from water - which is good of course, but can get rather boring) that will give me a really good watering. Perhaps coconut water would be a bit sickly for that.

I've tried the various teas - camomile, ginger, green, etc., but although they're not exactly 'spit out immediately' - they leave a lot to be desired imho.

Just really fishing about to see what might be out their. My family despair when I ask them the same question.....mainly because of the generally negative responses they get from me......so they've basically given up. I'm expecting the members of this forum to be a little more robust....... :-)
Old 02-28-2011, 11:47 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I'm In.. Sobriety date 2/24.. tho I say 2/23 at 6 PM.. gives me an extra 6 hours to count.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:54 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
is really trying!

Hi guys, just checking in to say I MADE IT THROUGH MY FIRST WEEK!! I'm just so happy and COULD NOT have done it without the support I've got from you all. Am in awe that I've been blessed with the people I really need at the exact moment I needed them. We're so scattered across the globe & yet I never feel alone when you're only a mouse-click away.

Peace to all
Old 02-28-2011, 11:59 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Congrats on 1 week, SA!
Old 02-28-2011, 12:23 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Oops...I meant "RA".
Old 02-28-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
orangutan

It is day 5 sober - made it to 10 days last time with a one night binge before stopping again . I only ever lasted 2 or 3 days when trying before. This time I feel stronger mentally . Glad to have you all here for me .
Old 02-28-2011, 01:06 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SollytheGolly View Post
I suppose what I'm looking for really, is something I can drink when I'm out - at the pub, in a restaurant - and even at home.
I'm not terribly creative, when I go out, I order soda water with a splash of cranberry juice and a lime.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Congratulations Rebel A!!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2011, 02:14 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Cog

Originally Posted by SollytheGolly View Post
Thanks for that, Hugger. Not sure I've seen coconut water in UK supermarkets - that's not to say they don't have it - just that I've not seen it.

I've always had a problem with drinks....no...no...not just alcoholic ones, but anything, really. I drink lots of tea, generally out of pint mugs. I always seem to drink everything really quickly. I suppose what I'm looking for really, is something I can drink when I'm out - at the pub, in a restaurant - and even at home. Something (apart from water - which is good of course, but can get rather boring) that will give me a really good watering. Perhaps coconut water would be a bit sickly for that.

I've tried the various teas - camomile, ginger, green, etc., but although they're not exactly 'spit out immediately' - they leave a lot to be desired imho.

Just really fishing about to see what might be out their. My family despair when I ask them the same question.....mainly because of the generally negative responses they get from me......so they've basically given up. I'm expecting the members of this forum to be a little more robust....... :-)
Have you tried green tea with jasmine (or lemon)? Really helps the flavour. I don't like it on its own (tastes like pond water), but I really like the Twinnings one with jasmine.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:30 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Hey Solly, theres loads of herbal fruit teas that you can drink, even brew them and have them cold with some ice. Or fresh fruit juice with soda water.
By the way does anybody bother with non alcoholic drinks like wine or larger?? I can't really see the point in them but I guess people like the taste.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:34 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
orangutan

I am getting into green tea myself, discovered I love it, also I read somewhere recently that lemon juice mixed with water is good for the liver and its very refreshing so I am giving that a go - it can't hurt .
Old 02-28-2011, 03:43 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I'm too new to recovery to know if it's something I will drink. As a former bartender, I found that a few people drink the near beer because they like the taste of beer. (I too like the taste of beer). But most people asked me to pour the bottled beer into a pint glass so it looks like real beer. So, I think for most people it's just to fit in with the crowd.

For me personally, I know one of the feelings I'm dealing with is that of deprivation. I think drinking something that tastes like beer but isn't would only serve to enhance that feeling that I am being deprived of something I want. So, it's not something I'm going to try anytime in the near future.