Notices

Day 1 again.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 again.

Well here it is. I am on Day 1 again. This is the first time I am posting it and I am taking it very seriously. I usualy start drinking around 8:00 AM and finish when I am done. meaning I get drunk twice a day and sleep in the middle. I am tired of trying to act sober. which I think I do pretty well, at least to me. Most people know I'm a drinker but would never guess its as bad as it is.

I see a lot of posts that remind me of me. That makes me feel at least more normal. I will make it this time. I am promising myself that.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have done that two-part day before. I'd take a vacation day from work just to get my drink on and catch up on my DVR. Then my "normal" drinking in the evening. Good luck - I am on yet another day one, too.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow...sounds like how my typical day was!!!!

Keep strong! You can beat this!!
Old 02-24-2011, 11:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

A lot of posts here will tell you, most people need more than a promise to themslves, or to anyone else. Do you have a recovery plan?
Old 02-24-2011, 11:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the best recovery site everywhere.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Wander and Better!

I agree with ste, a recovery plan is a must. I was just looking over my original list. I prepared a list of all the reasons I wanted to quit. Then a list that looked something like.
1. Get support from friends and family.
2. Locate an online support group.
3. Make a list of things to do when I want to drink.
4. Purchase non-alcoholic beverages and sweets.
5. Find an addiction recovery program.

I found the list of reasons why not to drink pulled me through many rough patches the first few days. I included health, financial, relationship, work and others on my list and kept it with me all the time. When the urge to drink seemed overwhelming, I re-read the list.
I kept checking into this forum every day, several times a day. You will find a lot of support here. Keep checking back in.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow, When my life looked like that I was on my way to death. I assume you don't want to do that since you are here. It is possible to get out of the situation your physical addiction and mental obsession alcohol has put you in. I would let your family members know you need help from outside sources and find it. I used inpatient services the first 30 days the last time I got sober and it worked for me. It was a great beginning to my life of recovery, which is a blessing. Good Luck and don't give up. Your body is not going to give up alcohol without a fight that is why medical detox is so helpful.
SH
Old 02-24-2011, 01:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi again wonder2.

I think support is so important - I find it very important to plug myself in here daily. If you find that's not enough, I hope you'll keep looking for things to add for support too.

Seeing a Dr is always a good idea too, as SH suggested

I hope this time can be your last time
D
Old 02-24-2011, 02:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wander2 View Post
...meaning I get drunk twice a day and sleep in the middle.
Hi wander2. Oh god, yes, that made me laugh. That was exactly my pattern for quite a while. And I can laugh because it hasn't been like that for a good number of years.

Maybe the last 2-3 years of my drinking were spent making those promises to myself and to others that I was done for good this time. And I really meant it. This time, I was going to work harder at it, stay on top of it. This time I was really serious. This time would be different.

It never was. Just another disappointment to myself and those that cared about me. Each time getting more and more demoralized and feeling like a bigger loser. Why couldn't I do this? I was smart and successful and determined. Why couldn't I just stop drinking and stick to it? What the hell was wrong with me?

Originally Posted by AA BB 1st Ed.
At a certain point in the drinking of every alcoholic, he passes into a state where the most powerful desire to stop drinking is of absolutely no avail.
When I experienced the truth of that statement, it seemed as if there was no way out for me. But it also opened the door to a solution for my problem. I latched on to that solution for all I was worth, and it brought me to a way of living free from alcohol, and content beyond my expectations.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

Please know that there is hope. I'm sad to say that I had a few days like that, too. You can recover and move forward, and you'll find lots of support here.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A warm welcome to you wander2!
Old 02-24-2011, 06:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad you are here, wander. Best in all of your efforts.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Some of us find useing a structured recovery program vital
to our well being...and here is a list to explore...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

And some SR members are also happily sober doing a variety of things.
There is no one way to find a healthy sober future.

Yes...you too can win over alcohol...