Notices

Newbie here

Old 02-24-2011, 07:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie here

Hey everyone. I see this new thread, but I do not see a welcome thread. Maybe I am blind.

I am new to this site, but not new to recovery. I have been sober for seven years. I am not certain how this site works or what the general tone of the members is like.

I am joining just to have some interaction with people online during the day who have a desire to quit drinking or who have been in recovery and want to chat.

I will say, however, that I am not a 12 stepper. I am not against the 12 steps. I support them, I encourage people to do them if they want to, but I do not reference everything I say to the steps or the Big Book.

Again, I am not against the steps or AA/NA. I am not against doing the things necessary to get and remain sober. I support, applaud, and encourage people to do whatever it takes to shake the habits and addictions. (Well, whatever it takes as long as there is no harm to others. You know what I mean . . .I should hope)

The reason I mention this is because I merely stated that the 12 steps are not personally for me. It is a personal choice, a personal preference.

Now this does not mean I am arrogant or something. What if in my life I succumb to something horrible and I let the disease take over? If I need to, then I will 12, 24 or whatever steps I need to do in order to stop again and remain sober.

I hope this makes sense. I respect the 12 steps and those who use them and remain sober. I just want to chat with people who are in recovery like me.

I prefer a different method of assistance. If this will be a problem for anyone here, then please let me know now.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Strive to be alive!

deadeso - First welcome.

IMO It's doesn't matter how you get there, just that you get there. It's good to know that if I'm ever in need of help, guidance, or just a different opinion or outlook I have someone to seek. Thank you for your willingness to share your experience.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome deadeso!! There are many different people from many walks of life here. There are also a variety of things that they have all done or are doing to achieve the common goal of sobriety. The theme, as I think you will see, is to share your experience so it may help someone else. Doesn't matter how you are doing it, what matters is that you are doing it.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Welcome deadeso and I'm an AA'er, but I totally respect your approach and you are most welcome here on SR.

Keep posting away...

I don't go on our chat section too often, but I'm sure you can figure it out easy enough.

We can and do recover and you can be living proof.

Kjell
Old 02-24-2011, 09:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

Just sayin'
Old 02-24-2011, 09:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi deadeseo and welcome to the site. We are all on the same journey it does not matter what path we take to get there.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I am a 12-stepper, but I do not think it is the only way. I won't even say "it's what works for me" because it hasn't yet (I relapse a lot) but I will keep trying, and if I find a better way, I'm willing to try something different.

What does your "program" of recovery look like? How have you stayed sober for 7 years? What do you do every day for your recovery?
Old 02-24-2011, 09:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome deadso! And congrats on 7 years! Wow!

I don't use chat but I find SR to be a very open minded and supportive place. Yes, the occasional tiff happens, but by and large we get along, with a diverse group of people on diverse paths of recovery.

I'm guessing you got burned once before by your tone. We really try and be open minded here. There is a Secular Thread down forum that is pretty big into alternative approaches.

Anyway, I'm not in AA, but I respect everyone's choices here and can learn from everyone.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome deadeso - this is a great community, very supportive.... and there's a good mix of AA and non-AA folks.

Congrats on 7 years - that's fantastic!! I hope to be able to make that claim some day. I'm going on 10 months and credit this forum for my success....

Lots to read here and there's usually someone on here 24/7.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome deadso

Rest assured that every one who wants help with recovery, or to help others, is welcome here - along with their beliefs

Seven years is great
Look forward to seeing you around!

D
Old 02-24-2011, 07:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Onewithwings View Post
Welcome!

I am a 12-stepper, but I do not think it is the only way. I won't even say "it's what works for me" because it hasn't yet (I relapse a lot) but I will keep trying, and if I find a better way, I'm willing to try something different.

What does your "program" of recovery look like? How have you stayed sober for 7 years? What do you do every day for your recovery?
I never really thought about it. I just don't drink. I spent a lot of time trying to quit and I had my share of relapses before the last time I drank. It took me a while to shake it. The physical addition took a while. I had a really increased heart rate, sweating, and insomnia. I drove around a lot at night. At the time I wasn't working. So, thanks to Wal Mart being open 24 hours I would just drive from store to store a night and then get home and try to sleep.

Now, I do not really have a program per se. I just live my life - going one day at a time. Everything slips by so fast that months turn into years.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
Welcome deadeso - this is a great community, very supportive.... and there's a good mix of AA and non-AA folks.

Congrats on 7 years - that's fantastic!! I hope to be able to make that claim some day. I'm going on 10 months and credit this forum for my success....

Lots to read here and there's usually someone on here 24/7.
Ten months is awesome! Keep it up. If you have been a drinker for a long time before you stopped, I can tell you that it takes a while for you to think clearly after you stop. Your brain needs to rebuild itself. I don't think I had all my wits about me yet till well after my 10th month of sobriety. Once you heal, things change a bit. At least they did for me.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Thanks for that deadeso - that's very encouraging! I had 3 years once and 4 years at another time since 1988, but I think going back out for 8 years this time has really had a negative impact on me that previous times of drinking didn't.

If it's gets better than this, I'm all for it!!!!!!!!
Old 02-24-2011, 07:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome deadeso!!! I've only been here for a few days but I think the people here are great!