Notices

36 days, but the cravings......

Old 02-23-2011, 11:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

36 days, but the cravings......

36 days sober, here lately I have had bad cravings, but have fought them off. I am often irritable and grumpy. But , I am doing my best. Hope it gets better.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I did best when I kind of relaxed into the cravings. "I'm craving wine right now. That's to be expected because I'm an alcoholic. In time that'll pass. For now I'm going to go treat myself to a cup of hot chocolate and see how I feel in a little while".

It really helped. Just kind of disassociating from it a bit. It's a craving, that's all. It'll go away because I'm in recovery.

Hang in there!
Old 02-23-2011, 11:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

If you don't get these on the rig, but you get them while you are home, maybe they aren't so much cravings as they are a terrible temptation. Cravings, temptations, obsessions. All pretty much the same...that voice in your head talking you into drinking again. You have to defeat these "temptations" NOW or your recovery is just going to be a constant struggle between recovery and relapse.

Good luck.

And yes, it does get better.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
If you don't get these on the rig, but you get them while you are home, maybe they aren't so much cravings as they are a terrible temptation. Cravings, temptations, obsessions. All pretty much the same...that voice in your head talking you into drinking again. You have to defeat these "temptations" NOW or your recovery is just going to be a constant struggle between recovery and relapse.

Good luck.

And yes, it does get better.

Yeah, I don't have the cravings on the rig, so I guess it is temptation, little voice in my head trying to get me to drink. I got plenty of water, and diet coke, guess I'll go have a diet coke.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sleven

Did you decide not to go with any recovery group or are you still tossing that one up?

D
Old 02-23-2011, 01:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sleven View Post
36 days sober, here lately I have had bad cravings, but have fought them off. I am often irritable and grumpy. But , I am doing my best. Hope it gets better.
read about PAWS.....
post acute withdrawl symptons...
it'll explain your behaviour and that will make it easier to stay sober.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Sleven

Did you decide not to go with any recovery group or are you still tossing that one up?

D
Hi Dee, I am still gonna go to a meeting and see how it suits me. I have found a place in a nearby city, but I havent got their schedule yet.
I am so glad to have everyone here to talk with about my issues. It really helps me alot.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Sleven - it takes time for that voice to stop talking to us....... but each time you don't act on it makes you a bit stronger. Hard to be patient, I know, but it really does get better!! (And it's worth it!)

Stay strong!
Old 02-23-2011, 09:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Each time I talked myself out of the drinking thoughts I got stronger. And they do get fainter with time. Now they're just a whisper and easy to dismiss. Hang on and don't give in.