Notices

There is No Approved Method, Just Do It.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:51 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by spryte View Post
Great thread!

I go to AA, hang our here on SR, use yoga (asanas, meditation, and chanting and satsang) for the spiritual part of things (slooow progress, but progress all the same), CBT and SMART recovery for anxiety and mental obsession, and for lack of a better descriptor - oprah-type things for lifestyle balance (work, social, creative etc). I don't even like Oprah, but you get the picture re advice for work - life balance advice that's out there.

The last piece that's missing is journalling which I'm not doing; I don't know why, but I strongly feel that it is essential for me.

I write in my journal every now and again, I did almost every day in my very bad addiction stage, it's amazing to look back now and read about how really lost and frigtened I was of myself. Journaling is a very good idea, you'll appreciate reading it in the future.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:58 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by spryte View Post
The last piece that's missing is journalling which I'm not doing; I don't know why, but I strongly feel that it is essential for me.
Spryte, I strongly resisted journalling too.

I was doing many other things, but I didn't want to see my issues written down on paper. But, my recovery was kind of stuck because I couldn't deal with negative feelings I had. A wonderful lady here at SR really pushed me to journal. So, I began, and I have to tell you it was amazing. When I wrote things down on paper, it seemed to lift them from my mind. I was surprised at the amount I wrote, and it went on and off for most of a year.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:58 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Thank you Jay for letting me understand your program a little more clearly.

My program is based on my knowledge of my situation and my motivations to drink even when I know in my conscious and sober mind that it is detrimental to me.

1. It starts with making a point to learn more information daily about my problem through either reading and research online, or making a point to communicate with someone else how I am doing and what I am thinking.

2. I make an effort to workout daily, I do five miles of walking/jogging the dog daily normally 3 miles in the AM and 2 miles in the evening. I also do the P90X workout 6 days a week. I consider my walking time a time to reflect on what I plan to accomplish during the day and the evening walk allows me to basically review the days events and how it might affect my sobriety. If I am walking with my wife, which about half the time, I use that time to vent as well to let her vent regarding our relationship, and our careers, and it is also a time where I like to discuss my program and how I am doing with my sobriety.

3. I have a daily dose of supplements and vitamins that I take to nourish my body and mind limit cravings and help me stay youthful and energetic. These include many B vitamins as well as a multivitimin, and HTP-5 Tryptophan for cravings and relaxation and I am taking human growth factors to help with muscle growth, burning fat, overall energy and recovery.

4. I stay active daily with coaching youth sports, by either coaching practices or games almost daily or discussing coaching strategies on how to help my players and my son improve on a daily basis.

5. I try to make sure I still log on to SR a couple of times a day and stay active in the forum to keep my mind on where I was on a daily basis.

These are the main things I do for my program daily, and since I have basically lost the will to drink at all and the obsession has been lifted it has been pretty smooth sailing.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:59 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FrothyJay View Post
Finally, something we can all agree on.
I agree!!:rotfxko
Old 02-23-2011, 03:27 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Ahem......i'm not a *big* Oprah fan, but I sometimes do watch her new station....

I'm more of a Coco(Conan) fan.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:49 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Supercrew View Post

My intitial post wasn't to critique a specific program, but to let anyone reading know that just because they might get a vibe or a perception from someone using a specific recovery method who is posting in this forum, don't let it disuade them from trying the program first hand.
I hear what you're saying. I think you just struck a nerve with "propaganda"
Old 02-23-2011, 03:59 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Supercrew View Post
T I have a daily dose of supplements and vitamins that I take to nourish my body and mind limit cravings and help me stay youthful and energetic. These include many B vitamins as well as a multi-vitimin.
My recovery is very dependent on this... not giving medical advice, but vitamins work for me. Especially the B vitamins.

A daily walk is always great as well.

I have done some journalizing, but it is always the positive things in my world... it does work.

Camamilele (sp?) tea is a huge thing for me, because it really helps me reduce anxiety. Anxiety has been a big factor for me since 18 years old.

Love and appreciate everyone's comments on methods of recovery.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:31 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I also take my vitamins and supplements almost *religiously*....at night I use 5-HTP along with melatonin and Theanine, biotin and calcium, mag. & zinc...i use a capsule form of vitamins and supplements(procaps brand) because they are easier on my stomach...i also take liver anti-oxidants, an extra milk thistle and NAC.

if i can't get to sleep (insomnia was one of my drinking triggers) I'll take valarian or a bneydril
Old 02-23-2011, 06:15 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

My recovery has changed over time. In the beginning it was important for me to attend SMART, use CBT, take my medications for depression and follow up with the doctor. I also saw an addiction counselor.
I am very blessed to have reached a place in my recovery where it's mostly about gratitude and simplicity. Everyday I wish to live a more simple life with less things, less wants and less needs. I have spent some time recognizing my ego and decided that it does not control me. In my recovery I try to be true to my inner self and when I succeed there is peace in my head.
I am grateful that I have learned to love myself so that I can love others and God.
SH
Old 02-23-2011, 09:05 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Given Dee and Anna's admonishments, I'd just like to say that while I don't watch Oprah, I totally respect the people who do.

FrothyJay, thanks for the reply. I think I appreciate more where you're coming from.