Notices

New here, my story

Old 02-21-2011, 02:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here, my story

I've been reading here all day and feel compelled to post.

I have had issues with alcohol since I was a teen, remember drinking my first drink at 12 or 13. My father is a raging alcoholic and 3 years ago I told him I can't see him anymore until he is sober... funny thing is, I myself have had problems for about 10 years now. I just don't yell and hit people like he does when I drink. I have cut way down on drinking in the past 2 years since college because I have a good job now, I was drinking 10 beers a night but now only binge drink on Fridays and Saturdays and occasionally have a couple on Thursday. I am feeling health effects, my arms and legs fall asleep when I drink and I get terrible hangovers with anxiety. I hide all of this from my family, I don't stay in contact with them because I am ashamed of what I have become. I do think I am an alcoholic even though I don't drink every night because I constantly think about my next drink, and can't control how much I drink when I do. I have been to AA meetings before when I got in trouble for drinking in high school, but now since I have anxiety I'm really really nervous and scared to go. Today is my second day sober, I can usually make it until Friday but I haven't been sober for longer than 5 days in years and I know the weekend will be tough. I want to have a family someday and don't want to put them through what I went through growing up, I want to be sober. I am going to the bookstore now to buy the big book.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Day 1 and it is difficult

Hi Lucy;

I am on day one and it is difficult, so you are one day ahead of me. I tried last year and stayed completely sober for over three months, then stress at work pushed me over the edge and I went back, haven't stopped yet until today.

I am older than you and been doing this for much longer, its killing me and I have to stop. I feel terrible, get up in the morning and hate myself. I can relate. I thought if I read other people's stories it would help to know that there are many people out there trying to get well. For me it's pushed away my family, friends, and I am tired of it.

The last time I keep telling myself, you will feel better tomorrow than you do today, so that would push me one more day toward sobriety. It seemed to work . But in the meantime it's cold sweats, trembling, no appetite, I know I won't sleep tonight and have to work tomorrow. Just hoping it won't be too bad.

I plan to be back here everyday until I get back on track. hang in there.

Trying
Old 02-21-2011, 02:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome lucygypsy

I hope you decide to get some help, whatever that might be - for me it was really about doing something different and actively getting out of the cycle I was in.

D
Old 02-21-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I was an all day every day wino until 15 months ago. Now I'm living a good life. Still have the same problems, just handle them better. I hope you can find what works for you to stay sober. It's worth the effort.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It is a good idea to quit now while your young and you don't affect a family of your own. Living with your Dad you know now hoe you DON'T want to be. Good Luck and just take it one day at a time. And welcome! =)
Old 02-21-2011, 04:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Old 02-21-2011, 07:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Lucy - welcome!

I remember that anxiety well...... and the obsession with the next drink. It's no way to live and it only gets worse if we ignore it. I had to take sobriety one day (and sometimes one hour) at a time at first It took a while, but being sober feels "normal" today. I wasn't sure I could quit (or even wanted to) so I leaned on the great people here.....and I'm so glad I did.

You can do it too - congrats on day 2!
Old 02-22-2011, 05:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am back for day 3, thank you for all the kind words!
Old 02-22-2011, 09:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome! A woman in my AA has whats called Alcoholic Paralysis. I haven't read up on it, but it worried me enough when you spoke about limbs falling asleep. Not trying to scare you, but it couldn't hurt to see a doctor.
I envy your youth. You can kck this before you have kids and a spouse.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Lucy, welcome aboard. I commend you for seeing the warning signs of alcohol problems, listen to brain and fight cravings make plans for the weekend that do NOT involve nor need alcohol.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome! glad you are here.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

day 4. i find myself getting moody and i feel like crying a lot. but everytime i think about drinking, i remind myself how bad it made me feel. i am nervous about the upcoming weekend.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Day 4 Too

Glad I found this place on day 4 of my journey. I wish you well, lucygypsy.

Wish I had made the decision at your age but that was long ago and a lot of empty bottles ago....but here I am deathly afraid of loosing my family. So far so good.....

I'm winning this by thinking about all the reasons not to drink and planning for those times I know it will be tough.

I drank almost every day for the last 20+ years and can only remember one time I did not drink for two weeks and once or twice for three days.....last 6 months was usually two or more 24oz malt liquors and a .375 liter of whiskey or more every day.

With that came risky behavior and poor decisions.....I'm lucky to still have a job, a house and a family.

Great decision at your age. I wish you luck.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Originally Posted by lucygypsy View Post
day 4. i find myself getting moody and i feel like crying a lot. but everytime i think about drinking, i remind myself how bad it made me feel. i am nervous about the upcoming weekend.
Glad you're hanging in there lucy! Those first days/weeks are sort of an emotional rollercoaster for most of us. It takes time, but it gets better. I was so used to drinking when I had strong feelings (good or bad) I felt pretty vulnerable and overwhelmed some days.

With the help of folks here, I learned that it was OK to have feelings and even cravings, as long as I didn't act on them. I'm so glad now that I didn't cave.

Hope things get smoother for you soon.....
Old 02-24-2011, 11:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

thanks all. on day 5 day, halfway through to be exact.

keep marching