Notices

Irritability, anger...what to do?

Old 02-21-2011, 09:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Irritability, anger...what to do?

Hey everyone I'm going on 12 days here and have noticed an increase in my irritability level. I've been hitting the gym really hard since my quit date and that helps to alleviate some of the anger. I've also found that listening to music helps as well (rock music, pissed off eminem, etc). Anything else I can do when I don't have my ipod. I'm just asking because I almost walked out of my job yesterday over some stupid ********...normally I would just suck it up, go to the bar, slam a few and fell better. Any one have any remedies...?
Old 02-21-2011, 09:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How about taking some deep breaths, try some meditation, take a nap, go for a run. Anger is a tough feeling to get over, but you have to remember that anger is your reaction to the issue. People can do things that makes you feel a certain way, but how you react is up to you. You are the person that controls how you feel about situations. If your feelings of anger are really just, meet with the people who are causing the issues and rectify it. If they are just annoying things that you can let pass, let them pass. Anger is derived by how you perceive the situation, so either fix the problem or change your perception.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had tons of anger, even rage, in early recovery.

I realized finally that most of it was directed at myself, so I had to do some work there.

Journalling is a good way to get rid of the anger and let go.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Strive to be alive!

I second supercrew and Anna.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I will try those suggestions. I think it was just an annoying situation but I know I do have some anger issues that I'm hoping to clear up with my addiction counselor. I have my first assessment on Wednesday and I'm feeling like that can't come soon enough...
Old 02-21-2011, 10:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I think those are normal feelings - I know that I felt overwhelmed by small things the few first weeks. It takes time for our brain chemistry to get balanced again.

Keep things as simple as you can for a while and don't forget to take it one day at a time (or one crisis at a time!). Make a little sign for your desk : EASY DOES IT!

It gets better, K, it really does!
Old 02-21-2011, 11:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm right there with you Ksquared. Day 12 for me too. Irritability and even outright rage keep popping up. I keep reminding myself that what I am feeling is not proportionate to the issue that raised the emotion. In other words I know I am over reacting. I refer to that part of myself as the 5 year old child inside me that throws temper tantrums when she doesn't get her way. So, I remove myself from the situation, take some deep breaths, write in my journal, check in here at SR. Once I'm calmer, I ask myself what I'm a really angry about. The answers for me are usually along the lines of..."I'm angry because I can't drink like other people do." or "It's just not fair." That's not to say that there was no legitimacy to the situation that angered me in the first place. I just recognize my emotional response may be over exaggerated. Congratulations on Day 12!!!
Old 02-21-2011, 12:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There's more than one way to address those feelings, outside of what you and the counsellor can cover.

It might be helpful to listen to music that would classify as angry for those tmies when venting works.

There might also be times when not wearing that class of emotions can help too. In other words, don't give into it to begin with and go the other way instead. If you wouldn't listen to non-angry music because it would only be sappy to you, then I guess that wouldn't be any good; but otherwise, you can try that.

Have you picked a personal anthem yet? During my first couple of weeks, I latched onto a song that seemed to be a source of comfort for me on the whole drinking career. That was Behind the Ritual by Van Morrison. I hadn't even opened up the CD out of its packaging for 6 months or so before hearing it the first time. (If you haven't heard it, this is it: YouTube - Van Morrison Behind The Ritual.avi .) Somehow I had this celebration feeling when I heard it, like something telling me "it was over." I used to include some of the lyrics in my signature here, but I took them out because I thought it would be misleading and not really explain where I was coming from. I don't even know that Van Morrison would call this a "recovery song," and I don't care. I think he would though, since I read that he is an ex-addict. The "blah, blah, blah" he literally sings in the song is not just a blues technique to me; it's actually "saying something" about the experience of being a _______ drunk, to me.

If music does something for you, maybe you can give yourself a little homework exercise and find the song that you can lay claim to inside.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR KSquared

Yeah anger and irritability are pretty common in the early days...I didn't get into this til later but a little exercise helps me get out some of that pent up frustration these days

D