Notices

Day 2 of Sobriety!

Old 02-21-2011, 01:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2 of Sobriety!

Hi Everyone! My name is Kim! I'm new here and on day 2 of my sobriety! I bought some new books today to help me. Here they are:

Alcoholics Anonymous: The Big Book, Fourth Edition
Living Sober
Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions
Twenty-Four Hours a Day

I'm at the point where my dad has to keep my checks and debit card and cash so I can't buy alcohol, but then I go over his house on Fridays and he lets me buy alcohol then so now I have to stop going over his house for a while so I can avoid the temptation. I know I can't beat this demon on my own because I've tried again and again, so I am trusting in God and turning over my life and will to Him! I will really appreciate it if you say a prayer for me! God bless you all!
Old 02-21-2011, 01:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome - It is soo soo worth it. I started one day at a time and am now on 50 days and am feeling like I have a new chance in life. Make sure to get a doctors help if you can - I did and it just makes it safer and in a way and real plan. More people will be along with a lot of wisdom and experience as I am relatively new. You are so worth it. So glad you came here. This community has been the best for me. Welcome again!!
Old 02-21-2011, 01:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Smile

ring - Thank you for the welcome! Congratulations on your 50 days!!! I hope to get there! Seeing a doctor sounds like a great idea!!!
Old 02-21-2011, 01:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Kim and welcome to Sober Recovery. Glad to meet you
and hope to get to know you better. You got yourself
some great reading material also.

I have been trying to stay sober for a long time now.
This time it feels different and I'm determined to make
sobriety my number one priority. Sounds like you are doing
the same. I'll have 30 days tomorrow and I stay sober
one day at a time.

I'll say a prayer for you. Keep posting as much as you like.
Someone is always here 24/7!
Old 02-21-2011, 03:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome. Have you been to an AA meeting yet? San Diego has plenty. At AA meetings they usually sell you the big book at cost, some groups even give them away. I am one of the people that went to Barnes and Noble and paid $25 for mine before I knew that they practically give them away to newcomers at meetings.

Reading is great, so is SR.com, but they are only a part of my recovery, AA being another big part.

Have you told your dad that you are trying to quit drinking and not control your drinking? I am thinking if you did he might be a bit more understanding.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Kim

Definitely do talk to your Dr - and maybe have a word to your Dad too - if he's holding your money for you the rest of the week so you can't drink, I'm sure he'll be more than happy to extend that through Fridays

D
Old 02-21-2011, 03:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

mtnmagic, dgillz, Dee74 - Thank you for all the warm welcomes and good advice! I really appreciate it!
Old 02-21-2011, 03:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Kim! Stay close to these forums and to any other support group and/or HP you have during these early days as it will make it easier. When times get rough that is when it is time to reach out. We are here for you! Big hugs.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

adore79 - Thank you so much for the warm welcome and advice!!!

Thank you also to anyone who may welcome me! I am so happy to have found this wonderful site!!!
Old 02-21-2011, 04:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome...new here as well...sober day 25.
Glad to hear you are well on your way...good luck and in my prayers.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hye km congrats on ur decision. Just keep in mind a drunk will find a way to drink until they are truely ready to quit. AA can help you with that part. We try lots of things to quit. we Depend on someone else, promise someone else, having someone Hide money, take medication, or even in unfortunate cases, going to prison may make you avoid drinking for a while but its not even beginning to help you get better.

Im coming up on a year. I tried to quit for 4. I still take my stresses one moment at a time. A day is too long. Im working up to one day at a time.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
31/10/10

HI Kim,
good to have you here! Welcome!
excellent selection of books you have got yourself! I have the same and I love them!

All the best and great success,
vee
Old 02-23-2011, 06:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the warm welcomes and advice!

justsomeguy - Congratulations on being sober for almost a whole year!!! I understand what you are saying about having someone hold your money, etc. is not even beginning to help me get better. Maybe one day in the future I'll be able to take my money back! It's all I can do for now though because if I have him give me my money back, I'm scared that I'll go out and drink. I've had warnings that I should stop and I know that drinking is bad for me in every way, but still in the back of my mind I'm not sure if I'm committed to never drinking again. Sometimes I consider drinking again but as soon as those thoughts come to mind I have been able to push them away so far. I know God wants me to quit and that I should, but sometimes the urge to drink the urge is so strong that I am not sure if I am committed to stopping. How do you know if you are committed? Maybe that's what people mean when they say an hour or a day at a time? I WANT to be committed so bad! Do you have to "feel" committed to be committed?
Old 02-23-2011, 06:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi GHW and welcome!

When I got sober, I didn't want to quit..... I just didn't want the pain anymore. After a bit of sober time, though, I saw how much alcohol had consumed my thinking and caused a lot of anxiety and depression. There were so many ways alcohol affected me that I didn't even see until I stopped.

I took it a day at a time and spent a lot of time reading/posting here. Each day got a little better, I got through the cravings and became stronger as I did. Lo and behold, I found that my life was so much better that I wouldn't go back to that life if someone paid me a million bucks.

Give it time.......!