Notices

First day today

Old 02-19-2011, 11:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First day today

I am a 28 year old male. I woke up this morning (about 12 hours ago) with that same old feeling of depression, anxiety and feeling well...dead inside. I wished that I could just curl up and lay in a fetal position the whole day. My wife (now 6 months pregnant with our first child) woke me up and brought me breakfast in bed. She is sweet and just make the old joke or two regarding my hangover/s. Later in the day I realised she was talking about stuff I had no idea I said or did. This got me started to think that I might have problem. But that's impossible I kept on saying to myself, I do not even drink everyday, sometimes days go by without have drink. But when I do drink I feel almost compelled to make up for those days I went without it, not one or two, more like 10 - 15 in a evening.

Alas, here I am, reading through your great forum.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not waving, but drowning

Hi PolarWolf,

There is a lot of good, personal information on SR, and a lot of helpful people. It sounds like you have some questions about possible next steps for yourself and this is a good place to explore.

Unfortunately what you said about anxiety and feeling dead inside sounds all too familiar. I'm new here, but life is a lot better since I stopped drinking. SR has given me useful tools to stay sober.

Weclome and keep posting.

D
Old 02-19-2011, 11:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

Welcome Polar and well done acknowledging that you need to look for help.
As Danae said this is a very helpful place to be, and you can find a lot of useful info here.
By my reckoning you have an awsome incentive for starting to control your drinking habit, and its ONLY 3 months away! The child will change both your lives for the better foever. So does this new little one not deserve 100% from you? I guarantee you wont be able to give that much if you are smashed or hanging over.
You have a great oppertunity my friend... dont waste it :-)
Old 02-19-2011, 11:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not waving, but drowning

Originally Posted by Stimmed View Post
By my reckoning you have an awsome incentive for starting to control your drinking habit, and its ONLY 3 months away! The child will change both your lives for the better foever. So does this new little one not deserve 100% from you? I guarantee you wont be able to give that much if you are smashed or hanging over.
You have a great oppertunity my friend... dont waste it :-)
Oh yes, I agree! Not to put pressure on you, since this is something you need to do for yourself to make it stick. But how I wish I had sobered up before my son was born, not so many years later.

It is wonderful that you are thinking about it now.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to our recovery family.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome PolarWolf
Congratulations on your decision - and on your upcoming baby

You'll find a lot of support here
D