Notices

You look like a complete idiot

Old 02-17-2011, 10:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
where the light is

Smile You look like a complete idiot

I went out to a very popular blues bar last night. The place was really jumping, packed with people of all ages. The band was great, people dancing, a really fun atmosphere.

But like many bars, there were those people who just can't handle their alcohol.

One hammered guy was dancing with a great looking lady, staggering all over the places making fish lips like he was Mick Jagger or something.

One lady tried to start a fight with another lady for mistakenly trying to take a chair from her table. Lots of swearing there.

I was outside smoking with a girl who was sucking on an unlit cigarette for 20 minutes.

And there was another lady who was very obviously hitting on me despite her husband standing right beside her.

Classy, huh?

I used to do sh*t like this when I went out drinking.

Don't romanticize alcohol. If your an alcoholic or a binge drinker, this is what it looks like. It's not cool. You look like a complete idiot.

I had a great night out, listening to music, chatting with friends, meeting new people. Drank 7 up all night, woke up the next morning refreshed, had my coffee and went to work.

And to think I used to be worried what people would think of me if I stopped drinking...

Cheers!
Old 02-17-2011, 10:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
All in a day's work

Thanks for this story. Pretty powerful to think that there really are NO positives to alcohol!
Old 02-18-2011, 12:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've got a huge long list of reasons to stay sober... and on the other side, there's not one reason that I can think of to drink.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You have described the evening perfectly.....I could see the entire scene in my mind.....the Mick Jaggar description made me snort my coffee.

Thanks for a very realistic visualization....nope, it sure is not a pretty site, and these people won't be feeling very well this morning.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post gravity...you hit the nail on the head with this one. Every scenerio described me at one point or another in my drinking days.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post. My problem was that even with all the logic of "why I should not drink" staring me in the face, I went back to drinking over and over again because alcoholism, as I learned, means that I can no longer distinguish the true from the false.

People videotaped me drunk. I watched it, horrified. And then got drunk again.

That's alcoholism. And the solution required a whole lot more than keeping it green.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

that is Hilarious gravity! sooo Glad i Don't Act the Fool (most days) Anymore! Great Post!
Old 02-18-2011, 06:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great reminder, thanks Gravity. I recognized myself in there too especially with the "lady" hitting on you w/husband there... guess there are many reasons I was such a black out drunk
Old 02-18-2011, 06:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by gravity View Post
And to think I used to be worried what people would think of me if I stopped drinking...
This is one of the biggest worries we have when we are considering sobriety.

It turns out to be BS just like all of it was... BS.

GREAT post! I hope I'm able to go to a place like that someday too.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

.....and I could've been the guy behind the guitar watching everything unfold right in front of me, all while chasing a few beers down myself. Don't even get me started talking about all of the foolish and crazy things I've seen drunkards do before this pair of eyes.....LOL. Great post, Gravity!
Old 02-18-2011, 06:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Grateful

I hear you...went out last night to a club to hear one of my favorite DJs and was probably one of the few people not drunk/sneaking off to do bumps of coke/rolling/etc or some combo there of and I had a BLAST. I danced til my feet were like bloody meatballs, smiled, took great pictures (no more horrible 'oh ****! un-tag that one!!' on FB the next day). Day 53 for me. Can't remember last time I've ever been this happy, it's unbelievable. Yes, I'm tired today, but so what...it's so refreshing to know those days are behind me. I REMEMBER every fun moment from last night and have no regrets. Priceless.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for this reminder. I haven't been out to hear music since I got sober. I am really looking forward to it...a chance to focus on the music, to drive home safe, to wake up not feeling ashamed. Thank you.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Thanks for that, gravity, and I agree! I work in a pretty busy bar/restaurant in Atlanta, and lots of people either wonder how I could do that or question the wisdom in doing so. But, seriously, I think it helps me to see other people getting drunk. I see how foolish they act, and I turn to my co-workers and say, "See that? That's why I don't drink anymore." Nothing worse than watching grown folks make complete fools of themselves. And it's hilarious when men of a certain age (35-45) are around women of a certain age (21-30). Those are the ones who make the biggest idiots out of themselves.

And it doesn't hurt to see the tabs either. I think, "Man, I used to go out and spend $70 on alcohol? For myself???" I don't see how some of these people afford food.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Great description and so true!

It reminded me of a fundraiser I went to when I was a few weeks sober. It was a real eye-opener to watch the big drinkers get louder, loser, and less coordinated. One guy spun his partner so hard, she fell into the drums...... they started laughing - thought it was sooo funny.

Ouch.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Gravity, great story. I smiled the whole way through it, and laughed out loud when I read Fandy "snorted into her coffee"
GREAT stuff