Notices

Sugar - sucrose

Old 02-17-2011, 12:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sugar - sucrose

guess we on average consume about 100 lbs every year.

It's as addictive as heroin and nicotine, causing depression and numerous other health issues.

It was recently suggested to me since a few long time sober people had suggested sucking on candy, that it was OK. (sucrose)

FALSE

I hope you will educate yourself, have an open mind, revitalize your life and become sugar free.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

All I know is since I quit drinking my sugar intake has increased stupidly - now I have to work on that!
Old 02-17-2011, 01:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think my intake of sugar might be impacting me negatively. Not certain, but it might be taking me down a notch when it comes to my spirits (I don't know that it is influencing depression, but maybe it is). Same with caffeine. I wouldn't say it's a black and white issue or that abstaining from it is a cure-all, but I think it's worth it for people to include efforts to investigate this in their overall approach to getting better.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My uncle (also an alcoholic) had years and years of sobriety under his belt but he gave into his vice one night, several years back. Once he sobered up again, I noticed something. He had taken up energy drinks...big time. You can rarely see him without a Red-Bull or a Monster with him now. He's got a very addictive personality (something I unfortunately share). I've noticed that quite a number of alcoholics ramp up their sugar/caffeine intake in the absence of booze.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thx for the input.....when I approach life with an open mind, which I was taught is a mind "not occupied with self" and am willing attempt different ways, I get different results.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

When I was drinking, I hardly ever ate candy, cookies, chocolate, etc...

Once I quit, about 4 or 5 months in, I developed an intense craving for sweets.

Now I'm trying to taper that off

Kjell
Old 02-17-2011, 01:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by MrRay View Post
I've noticed that quite a number of alcoholics ramp up their sugar/caffeine intake in the absence of booze.
We're still looking for ways to change how we feel.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kjell View Post
We're still looking for ways to change how we feel.
BINGO!

What I have found is the application, the taking of the Steps, as a way of life, having a huge impact on my life to greatly reduce (and hopefully eliminate) that trend.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It would be great to hear from some newcomers what they feel it would be like to limit/eliminate sugar from their diet.

How much better would you feel?

Would it be worth it?
Old 02-19-2011, 08:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1_day@_a_time View Post
It would be great to hear from some newcomers what they feel it would be like to limit/eliminate sugar from their diet.

How much better would you feel?

Would it be worth it?
I tend to eat very healthy. A lot of whole grains and nuts and fish. But I do like to have an occasional dessert. I think moderation is key!
Old 02-19-2011, 08:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

This is something that interests me.

IMHO...people in early sobriety should make that their number one priority. Eat what you want. Consume sugar if you want. How long does early sobriety last? I don't know. When someone gets comfortable they can reign in their diet.

Sugar is so bad for us. It's in so many things. Low fat and healthy (used loosely) things have sugar too. Consuming sugar is relatively new to humans (few thousand years). We have not adapted to it. Causes a lot of health problems (obviously) but probably a lot of mental health problems too. Sleeping issues as well...and crashes.

I have recently come to admit I have a hard time with moderation. I went months cutting back on sugar except that in fruit and the occasional condiment like ketchup. I need to get back to it.

People will feel better if they cut out sugar.

Good topic.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostly View Post
IMHO...people in early sobriety should make that their number one priority. Eat what you want. Consume sugar if you want. How long does early sobriety last? I don't know. When someone gets comfortable they can reign in their diet.
Ghostly, I must admit, I am a bit confused with your reply.

Here you suggest do what ya want early on, yet later say:

When someone gets comfortable they can reign in their diet.

But then admit:

I have recently come to admit I have a hard time with moderation.

And close with:

People will feel better if they cut out sugar.

If we get addicted to sugar, just how EASY will it be to stop/moderate/control our sugar intake?

Will that be after we suffer serious health consequences?

Or when we hit a severe bottom like with alcohol or drugs?

Food addictions are arguably much worse, since unlike alcohol, we can not simply stop eating.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

I wasn't disputing how bad sugar is. How addictive it is. For the sake of this conversation, lets agree with that. Still...I think alcohol is more dangerous.

I can go to work and eat a dozen donuts. I can't drink 12 beers while working (I know people do, it is against work rules for every place I know of, and illegal for many). I can drive after eating cupcakes, but not after drinking whiskey. I could go on and on with many other obvious examples.

I think if someone HAS A PROBLEM with alcohol, and quits, that should be their number one priority. They can worry about cutting sugar later.

I think the possibility that someone quits drinking alcohol, then gets addicted to sugar, and the sugar subsequently destroys their life - Is far less likely than someone quits drinking, then tries to change other things too much in their life, so they start drinking again.

In other words - It is safer for sobriety to quit drinking, and focus on that. It is more dangerous for sobriety to quit drinking, and try to give up sugar too soon.

I disagree that food addictions are worse. I think for people that are addicted, alcohol destroys lives more than sugar. I really don't understand what my admitting I have a problem with moderation has to do with this. I gave up sugar for many months, and still consume less than most people. I got lazy and am goin back.

So...I agree with you about sugar being bad. I agree with cutting it out. There are a lot of foods that are (or may) be bad for us, that many consider addictive. Grains cause a lot of problems too. Many think they are addictive.

I just think for people that quit alcohol, that should be number 1. hope this clears it up friend. Thanks for the discussion.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I recently cut sugar from my diet and white carbs. I found once I cut it out I didn't crave it anymore. I lost the weight I wanted to pretty quickly and for treats have a nice piece of cheese etc. I believe I may have hypoglycemia (caused by binge drinking on an empty stomach) and I have more energy since cutting out sugar and I think my glucose levels are more even. Next will be caffeine, apparently that spikes sugar levels too. I find if I taste something sweet it leaves a yucky aftertaste. I do miss cheesecake though.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Good for you Ozgirl. One thing you MAY want to experiment with is cutting gluten (whole wheat grains included) from your diet too. I did a pretty strict 30 day challenge a while back. All I ate was meat, veggies and fruit. No grains, un-natural sugar, dairy or processed foods. Then after 30 days I introduced some of them back in. I found dairy and grains are very bad for me. I felt so crappy after I had some of those things again.

Main thing is that you feel good. I totally cut caffeine for about a week (was only getting it from Excedrin). Had headaches for a few days, then was ok.

Good luck.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

My experience has been that it was much easier to quit drinking and stay sober than it is to quit eating junk food. All food, healthy or not, becomes a trigger to eat sugar. It's terrible.

Don't get me wrong--quitting drinking was an extremely hard thing to do...and it was destroying my life, but like 1_day said, I can't just stop eating everything.

Honestly, I have no idea how to deal with this problem. Most of the reason I'm here at SR is to keep my butt sober.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostly View Post
I can go to work and eat a dozen donuts.....I can drive after eating cupcakes.........They can worry about cutting sugar later.

I disagree that food addictions are worse.
May I please suggest, you do your own research on food addictions/disorders/disease.

Look around here at SR, and read some books and browse the Internet.

Those who suffer from food issues are prisoners in the bodies. I know plenty of them, many are alcoholics and addicts too. Some I have met here and gotten to know personally........I have sponsored them.

It's a hell you don't want to live.

It's kinda like trying to explain alcoholism to a "normie" (non-alcoholic), they really have a hard time grasping it...... sorry, not meaning to be harsh, but it seems you fall into that category. Or you never would have said what you did about eating cupcakes or donuts!

Please do your own due diligence.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know myself I have to guard against being too extreme.

I know people here in the early days of recovery who have found an extreme diet made it difficult for their recovery, or even adversely impacted upon it - so I get Ghostly's point.

I didn't crave alcohol, but I did made myself ill last year by going on a all or nothing sudden impact no sugar natural food diet.

I saw my doctor...her advice was to institute any changes gradually...and to avoid extremism.

I can be an extreme guy - I think that's a characteristic of my alcoholism - so personally I think that's good advice.

D
Old 02-21-2011, 02:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

May I please suggest, you do your own research on food addictions/disorders/disease.

Please do your own due diligence.

Suggested this before when some unsettling advice was submitted......some seek more information and are interested in doing research to gain more insight.

Some don't.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Tom

This is obviously an important issue for you.

You don't have to agree with me but please allow me, and everyone else, the courtesy of sharing our experience...and having our own opinion.

thanks
D