Notices

Day 5 ...again

Old 02-17-2011, 05:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5 ...again

I was doing so good. I worked through my cravings, exercised, became active etc....Last weekend my husband came home. We had a nice Valentines dinner and welp...I drank some wine. Probably about 8 glasses. It hit me so hard to. After a month without touching the stuff it hurt. So here I am back to it. I havent drank since Saturday and just like before...dont want to.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Here's hoping this is your last Day Five.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

How many had you planned to have? I was really shocked my last relapse that I really really did not plan on having more than 2 Ugh. It just sucks but glad to see you back!
Old 02-17-2011, 05:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

HI,
I can fully relate...Valentines Day did me in, too..I drank 2 bottles of wine..I had been doing so good and then that little voice in my head started on me..The cravings started....I told myself, I could have a glass or 2 of wine and the next thing I know, I have no control and I drank 2 bottles.
I was feeling pretty good about myself and thought I could control my drinking...I wasn't checking in at SR, becasue I thought I was doing fine....well, obviously not- so as of 2/14, I am on SR several times throughout the day...It really helps me to see I am not alone and also to get all the support...
AS I was told, don't beat yourself up, just get up and start again...There is so much support here..

I am on Day 3 today..
Old 02-17-2011, 05:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi there! I am not a first time stay quitter either. I am on day one today, us newbies can stick together and offer support. Don't give up! I don't plan on it and will come here instead of drinking.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Unfortunately, relapses are too often a part of early recovery. Try to learn something from your slip and get on with your recovery.

I don't remember if you are using any help sources other than SR, but if not, why not get some additional help. It couldn't hurt. Just a suggestion.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

8 glasses = 2 bottles = A lot for 1 person. That is exactly why I won't allow myself to give in to those "You can just have 1 or 2" thoughts.

People often ask me if I think one day I'll be able to have a beer or 2 and be cool with it. I reply that there's no way that could ever occur. That's not how I roll. What good is 1 or 2 drinks? I know when I drink, I get drunk. That's the goal, and even if it's not the goal, it's sure as heck the outcome.

So, no, I won't allow myself to have 1 drink, because for me, there's no such thing as 1 drink. That's not how I'm wired. Even when I have cravings, I figure it's much easier to deal with the craving for the first drink, than to have that first drink and then try to control myself from having 10 more. That's just some madness I don't ever want to live through again.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by Snarf View Post
What good is 1 or 2 drinks? I know when I drink, I get drunk. That's the goal, and even if it's not the goal, it's sure as heck the outcome.
That was a real turning point for me, too. I think I will always feel more satisfied with 0 than 2. Even if at the start that meant I felt dissatisfied a lot 0 is better than 2 and now I don't miss it at all. (6 mos in).
Old 02-17-2011, 09:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Keep trying to be active and try to look at the positive of the situation.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

They always told us in treatment to "think through the drink". For me alcohol wasn't my drug of choice but the concept still applies. The idea is that when you have a really strong craving to use you play through a tape in your head of what will happen when you do drink or use. Yeah it may feel good for a little while, but than what? Some people even make up extravagant stories that might not be the most likely thing that would happen but if the consequences are extreme enough it keeps people from drinking/using. The last time I used was during the superbowl... found some painkillers by accident at my friends house in a cabinet that I thought there were cups in and I couldn't resist. Meetings are key, without them I wouldn't be able to put 24 hours together. Remember the pain, remember how much it sucks. The problem is the first time I relapsed I didn't enjoy it at all. I felt guilty the whole time. The second time I only felt guilty because I took the pills from a friends (which ive done more times than I want to admit) keep working at it and keep being honest.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back OklaBH
Those thoughts are insidious...whats your plan for next time they happen?

D
Old 02-17-2011, 01:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

5 days is great! I am at 5 days too after going 23 days originally and mucking up. I'm not backing down. If I fall off the pony I'm getting straight back on it again.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey, sh*t happens! At least you are back...
Old 02-18-2011, 04:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome back OklaBH
Those thoughts are insidious...whats your plan for next time they happen?

D

My thoughts are to just not take the first drink. One drink easily turns into a 12 pack for me. I get one taste and its over. UGG This is day 6 though. 2 months ago I wouldve gotten drunk and started drinking again the next morning. Ive come along way from how I used to be. Im trying to find solace in that---DAY 6

I would check in on here more but this website is super slow on my computer for some reason. Facebook, *****, etc...is all fine. I dont know
Old 02-18-2011, 04:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

So many times I thought 'no I'll just do what I did last time but try harder'...

but no matter how hard I tried - and I did try hard - my 'little bag of tricks' stayed the same, and frankly it was pretty bare...when the cravings hit, sooner or later I was a goner

It was important for me to keep adding to what I knew, and to make plans to prepare for the next craving, because....it came.

It wasn't until I looked beyond what I'd been doing, and found more support, and looked at more strategies and methods that I really began to get somewhere B.

D
Old 02-23-2011, 03:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I need some better strategies....I have really been struggling. I thought the further i got out the easier it would be...not so much!
Old 02-23-2011, 04:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

One of my strategies for when those bad cravings hit was to go for a walk and get some fresh air. If I got home from work and stayed in the house when the cravings hit I would be just sat on my hands thinking about nothing but that first drink and more often than not I would give in.
Of course when I went out for a walk I would leave all cash at home or else my sneaky brain would lure me into a shop to buy a bottle of poison .
Old 02-23-2011, 04:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by OklaBH View Post
I need some better strategies....I have really been struggling. I thought the further i got out the easier it would be...not so much!
Are you making an effort to enjoy all the sober things? That was I think the most beneficial thing for me. Reading magazines (no focus when I was drinking), clean sheets, new PJ's (never cared when I was drinking), nice teas, going to the gym, a starbucks hot chocolate on the way to preschool dropoff. I could go on and on.

I did all that this time vs the last times when I was basically punishing myself for my addiction. Just sitting there obsessing about all I was losing.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:55 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Recovery's not a linear thing - you'll get all these bumps, and pitfalls, and sharp turns....and it's tough for a quite a long time.

It's probably what noone wnats to hear but it may be the hardest thing most of us will ever do.

Thats the bad news.

The good news is it's possible - and noone needs to do this on their own

There is support available - in all manner of ways and at all manner of levels.
Maybe it's time to ramp up whatever you've been doing OklaBH?

For some it's as simple as reading and posting here more...I get value out of being here daily...but if SR is not enough for you, then maybe it's time to think about other support - recovery groups, counselling, outpatient or inpatient rehab etc....

D
Old 02-23-2011, 05:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Go back and read all of your first thread.