Notices

Here we go...wish me luck

Old 02-17-2011, 04:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here we go...wish me luck

Morning all. Here we go on day 1. I have tried to quit before but never really wanted to so I wasn't successful. I am so sick of living this way and know if I can get through the first two weeks that things will be a lot better. I'll probably be needed this forum for when the cravings are just too hard to resist. Wish me luck!
Old 02-17-2011, 04:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I wish you the best on your journey. I've been trying to give it up for over three years and now have over 14 months sober. I hope it doesn't take you that long to 'get it'.

Welcome to the family.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Luck has nothing to do with it, jersey.

For many (perhaps the majority) of us, will-power alone doesn't work either. If you find yourself repeatedly falling off the wagon despite your best and most heartfelt intentions, consider counseling or a group program like AA or Smart Recovery or something.

Keep coming here, reading and posting!
Old 02-17-2011, 04:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, I realize it isn't luck, just a figure of speech. I have been through this before and I know I am in for a rough couple of days. I will be posting here often. I hope you all don't get sick of me!

I have an appointment for an addiction counselor. I never went to one before because I was so ashamed and desperate to hide my drinking that I would lie to the counselor. What a waste of money lol! I attend AA here and there but since I am atheist I had a really hard time especially with step three. I go to hear other's stories and for reminders but I don't like the judgement of how many meetings I go to, whether or not I am working the steps etc. so I am going to look into some other options from a group of links someone sent me. I have a very hard time with what others think of me and have always had issues with my self-esteem. Hopefully I can work through that with counseling.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I see an addiction counselor once a week and she's been my Rock. I highly recommend it. It's helped me so much.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR and to the recovery journey. I had any number of half hearted attempts, deadlines for my drinking, and so forth over the years. But when I "really" wanted to quit...or better yet, when I needed to quit, I did.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Post away! After I responded here I read your other post. ((hugs))

Many atheists and agnostics end up in AA...I'm there now because decades of trying willpower has not worked for me. Last night someone shared that they'd never been able to wrap their head around a spiritual higher power, so he used the notion of the AA fellowship as his HP. Worked for him, I guess, he had several years sober.

Yeah pretty dumb to hide your addiction from an addiction counselor LOL...I've done much dumber things though! Don't beat yourself up, and I hope the counseling is effective for you going forward.

Originally Posted by jerseytomato View Post
Thanks, I realize it isn't luck, just a figure of speech. I have been through this before and I know I am in for a rough couple of days. I will be posting here often. I hope you all don't get sick of me!

I have an appointment for an addiction counselor. I never went to one before because I was so ashamed and desperate to hide my drinking that I would lie to the counselor. What a waste of money lol! I attend AA here and there but since I am atheist I had a really hard time especially with step three. I go to hear other's stories and for reminders but I don't like the judgement of how many meetings I go to, whether or not I am working the steps etc. so I am going to look into some other options from a group of links someone sent me. I have a very hard time with what others think of me and have always had issues with my self-esteem. Hopefully I can work through that with counseling.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

good choice and you sound very positive...I responded to you on the other thread.

you CAN do this, think of all you can recover when you stop drinking, starting with your health.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hi, i am new to this forum
Old 02-17-2011, 04:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi anderson! Me too...are you new to sobriety as well?
Old 02-17-2011, 06:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey Jersey! Welcome! There are a lot of newbies here, so you're certainly not alone. Just make yourself at home, kick up your feet, and stay a while!
Old 02-17-2011, 06:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Jersey and Anderson, welcome to SR! This is a great place for support hope you read a lot and post often.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Awesome

Old 02-17-2011, 06:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Hi Jersey!

I used to travel for business and I had some drunken wreckless nights in Jersey (Atlantic City, Blackhorse Pike to be exact). Ughhh...

Good luck~

Keep posting and keep going to AA is my advice. It'll work for you (I'm living proof).

Kjell
Old 02-17-2011, 06:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by anderson111 View Post
hi, i am new to this forum
Welcome Anderson!

Wanna tell us a little about yourself? If not, no biggie, but just know that you are not alone.

We can and do recover. I'm living proof and you can be too.

Kjell
Old 02-17-2011, 12:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am more than halfway through Day 1 and now starting to feel terrible physically and mentally but miraculously I don't want to drink even to feel better. I am so determined to get through this, feel better and start living a productive and meaningful life. Trudging on...
Old 02-17-2011, 12:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

i hope you will keep these positive thoughts and getting through the next 12 hours, get some rest, light food and an activity that occupies your mind to pass the evening.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Keep trudging Jersey. Do not look back, do not step back and
do not pick up. It will get easier. Just got to get through it.
Post here all you want. I'm about 3 1/2 weeks sober and I'm
still restless at night. I spend hours here late at night and early
in the morning. I may not be getting a lot of things done that
I should be, but I'm staying sober. That is most important of
all. Keep going!
Old 02-17-2011, 12:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great decision Jersey - we're all behind you

Welcome to you too Anderson - feel free to start your own thread if you want

D
Old 02-17-2011, 12:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Jersey & Anderson - welcome to our family. I'm an SR success story, too. Came here not even sure I was going to quit - but was so inspired I found the courage to change.
After a lifetime of drinking, I now have over 3 yrs. - so I know it can be done!

Congratulations on the new life you have chosen for yourself.

(There's nothing like a Jersey Tomato - the rest are anemic. )