Notices

I really need some support guys..

Old 02-17-2011, 12:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I really need some support guys..

Hi. Ive been reading over some of the posts on this site and I think this is exactly what I need. I am 20 years old and have a baby on the way. My girlfriend and I are expecting our child in the beginning of september. We both work and she goes to school, both trying to get ready to provide for our new baby. Everything is going great. There is just one problem. I am slowly becoming dependant on oxycodone. I picked up on the drug about a year ago while trying it with some friends. Ever since then I have been using the drug maybe once every 2 weeks. But as of the past 3 weeks, I have used it just about every day. Usually about 15-40 mg a day. I am getting scared that I will develop a physical dependancy. For some reason every time i think about the percs, I just decide to go buy some and get high. It makes my day easier. It makes me act like the person I want to be. Happy, nice, generous, loving, a conversationalist etc; when I dont have percs I have no withdrawl symptoms or cravings, but as soon as someone asks if i want to split a 30 or tries to sell me one, I don't think. I just buy. Before its too late and I go dead broke, I need some tips to resist this. Maybe some motivational words or positive thoughts could help too. Anything you guys could say to help before my mental addiction turns physical too, would be greatly appreciated. I want to be rid of these things before my baby arrives. My next step if this doesnt work will be a rehabilitation clinic. I just want to try this more discreet way first. Thank you in advance. Any questions any of you have for me, I will gladly answer.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi gts1104

Welcome to SR.

It's great you're thinking about this now.

I've never used oxys but I know you'll hear from people who have.

I also recommend you go down and read through our substance abuse forum
Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

My drug was alcohol but I went through three phases with my addiction - I started of using as a tool - then it became a crutch - and then I wasn't using it for anything...I just needed it...it became my life.

The sooner you can get out of the addictive cycle, the better off you'll be, man.

D
Old 02-17-2011, 02:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

Think it is wonderful you are looking for alternatives to the addict's (already self-addmitedly mental, later physical) path in life. Age aside, it sometimes takes wisdom to realize what you are doing to yourself. Perhaps you are wiser than me when I was twenty.

Not familiar with oxys personally, they weren't available back when I was so young, and strong, I could try any drug with impudence. I tried heroin, IV, once, I liked it so much it scared me. I think my conscience, God, HP put that scare into me. Make my day/night easier? Nothing easier than being in that LaLa land. Twenty years later a member here told me that first time is the best, you could try the rest of your life to replicate it, but can't; I believe him.

Feel more "happy, nice, generous, loving and a conversationalist etc." on that drug? I think most here will tell you, that is a drug induced perception. Ask your "people" if it is true. Better yet, make it a goal to feel that way without mind altering substances.

I never knew (or paid much attention?) about oxycodone until I heard about a High School friend of mine, we used to drink together, of course. He became an oxy addict. He got in a bad car wreck. He was admitted to, and dischrged from the hospital. The oxy masked his physical damage so well ( I don't think he admitted his "habit") they let him go home. He died about a week later, leaving a loving wife and children.

Sorry, that wasn't a positive thought, but a "war story". Nip it in the bud man! Looking to see positive posts from you. You can do it!
Old 02-17-2011, 04:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR. I would think that since you haven't been using too much for too long that it might not be too bad quitting, but that's just my opinion and not fact. Have you asked your doctor for help in quitting? Or thought about attending NA? I have no experience with pills (I was a wino) but want to welcome you to the family.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think it is wonderful that you are recognizing that your use is a problem so early on. For me I lived in denial for years before I realized that normal people hardly didn't "need" a drink to sleep, unwind, have fun, just because etc.

You've taken the first step because you can't change something you won't admit to.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you guys for all your motivational words. I am on day 1 off of oxycodone. I will keep updating but this is what I think I need. Something to remind me that I don't need drugs. All of your replies really help.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
"Never lose hope"

Hello my friend, I'm glad you have decided to share your story with us, it sure helps a lot opening up to others about our problems.

I myself am an oxy addict of about 60-80mg a day. The difference however is that it doesn't stop with the oxy. I found myself using high doses of methadone and dilaudid to get high aswell. I even resorted to chewing fentanyl patches for a fix. BAD IDEA! I overdosed for the first time in my life and barely made it out alive. I thought that experience would steer me away from using because of how scary it was to me, but it didnt.

So here I sit waking up tomorrow to day 2 without oxy. You are not alone my friend, all of the people here are here to help I promise. I wish you the best of luck, and if you need any advice on dealing with the W/D'S I am here for you!
Old 01-03-2012, 03:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR

I abused oxys for almost a year in 2009, after being prescribed them for a herniated disc and cancer. They are extremely addictive and if you stay on them too long, the withdrawals can be very rough and even dangerous. You should probably be honest with your doctor and let him know what is going on, just to be safe. The sooner you stop taking them, the better off you will be. One you develop that physical dependence, your body will literally ache for them once you stop.

Best wishes and God bless.