Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Question for successful members on here. What fills the void that alcohol/etc filled?

Notices

Question for successful members on here. What fills the void that alcohol/etc filled?

Old 02-16-2011, 05:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Working with others, carrying the message.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:09 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I think a lot of people experience 'a longing in their heart' and just have no clue what that is. You may have been a solid recreational drinker that enjoyed trying new beers, new wines, how that coupled with meals, whatever, etc., and then at some point, you knew you had crossed a line. ???

I see two things here. You are in search of a new 'hobby.' (I know for certain I miss my 'hobby' of exploring new restaurants and trying different wines with certain meals... at one point, the entire thing was an experience in and of itself, not a reason to 'escape.')

I can still travel to new places and try new restaurants, but in all honesty, it's just different now. Sooooo.... I travel to new places for different reasons now. Same wander lust, but I experience it all in a whole new and different way.

Second, when I hear someone say, 'fill a void,' it can often mean that a person is unclear or seeking their 'purpose in life.' Does that fit into the mix for you?
Old 02-16-2011, 06:50 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Love, empathy, and freedom.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:29 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Not waving, but drowning

Originally Posted by Maryjan View Post
Quiet time alone is a treat for me...a half hour in the backyard hammock watching the stars.

I'm thinking you live somewhere warm--lucky you! My backyard in under several feet of snow, and its too cold to stay out and look at the stars

But yes, I agree, quiet time alone is lovely---when you are alone by choice.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:54 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I have found that the more content I have become with not drinking/sobriety, there aren't really any voids to fill. When my mindset changed from "I can't ever drink again" to "I don't want to ever drink again", is when I kind of realized alcohol wasn't really feeding any need I had or filling any void.

Once I was able to realize that drinking was really the cause of most of the voids I had in my life the idea of sobriety became much easier to swallow, so to speak.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:18 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Lots of good posts here!

When I got sober the first couple weeks were about getting through the next 24 hours without picking up a drink. After that, it was about taking baby steps. As each day went by I discovered I was much more "present" in my life. I wasn't running from people or putting off responsibilities or wrapped up in my own head....

In other words I began little by little to enter the world again and things just developed. I didn't do anything drastic, I was just ready when things "showed up."
Old 02-16-2011, 09:53 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
where the light is

I was where you are at about a year. It took me a while to accept that I could never drink again in my life so it was a long period of feeling sorry for myself. kind of like "I know I can't drink but I can't imagine my life without it."

Through AA & counselling, my thinking gradually changed. By embracing my sobriety, a whole new outlook on life opened up. I appreciate everything so much & my experiences sober are way more intense than when they used to be dulled by alcohol.

My career has taken off, I live for my kids (joint custody of two little ones ). I'm into fitness, my life is filled with genuinely good people, and when I get a chance, I do social stuff like concerts, sporting events, movies, etc. I'm heading out to a blues bar with some friends in a few minutes!

There is no void. I even appreciate those rare times when I have nothing to do!

best wishes!
Old 02-16-2011, 10:14 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I chuckle a bit these days since I am home by myself lately and I don't view it as having a void....lol. I can't believe I would ever get to the point where I could have a lazy quiet day and not think of drinking......shocking concept

For me.....I didn't really have voids since alcohol in truth just robbed me of living. I have shared quite a bit about how I used alcohol to escape to deal with a tough time in my life and then it just became my life - consumed me.

When I first got sober it was all about learning to live again. I had honestly forgotten how to do that since like many....my life had become planned around drinking. I had all my sober tasks that I rushed through and then all my free time alone was spent boozing.

The post from Smacked summed it up for me.

Give yourself time and I found getting face to face support really helped me make the necessary change and learn how to live healthy again
Old 02-16-2011, 10:39 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

finding the void

My void, and thank you for this thread, my void is lonliness, guilt and always wanting life to be a bit of a party , fun, to be disinhibited.

How do I replace lonliness when I live alone? , How do I get rid of guilt? , How do I sit with the mundane boredom of life?? I spent my entire young life raising three daughters and 11 years of university study, building a home,and trying to impress others.

Even If i do stop drinking, what is left? A divorced man with little ambition?

I just cant see much beyond the drink at the moment.

Sorry guys, It is just what I REALLY think

L
Old 02-16-2011, 11:33 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had a lot of those fears - how will I handle lonliness, pain or sorrow sober? how will I celebrate things? how will I de stress? will I be the same person? how do I enjoy life and not be bored?

It all really terrified me...but eventually I had no choice but get sober...

and I managed to deal with all of those as they came up...I'm more comfortable in my own skin now - I like my own company when I get the chance...

I've had to deal with the whole gamut of emotions and situations sober....and each time it got easier...

I'm not the same person but I think I'm better - I'm certainly happy for the first time in my adult life....and I simply don't have time to be bored....I wish we had 30 hour days.

Life is what you make it L.
Being sober makes that process easier I think, not harder

D