Notices

Overcame Temptation Tonight

Old 02-12-2011, 10:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Overcame Temptation Tonight

And so glad I did. I had no real plans for the night, but when my husband came home, he had already made plans to hang out with a few friends. He invited them over, and then the plan was to all go out to the bar where one of the guys girlfriends works. Great. I didn't really want to go, but I also didn't want to sit at home alone. Anyway. They guys came over and the drinks were flowing... I had pretty much surrendered to the fact that I would drink tonight. But I just kept shutting down that voice in my head telling me it was ok to drink. I still hung out and just drank water, which is usually what I drink in my own house.They all drank for about three hours before finally getting ready to hit the bar. At which time it was quite easy for me state I was tired and going to stay home--after driving them to the bar so none of them drove

I'm SOOO so glad I did not drink. I just kept thinking how much I would regret it tomorrow. I'm disappointed that my husband is drinking, but he's not driving and and seemed to be having a good time with his friends.

It's after midnight, so that means I've made to day 7. I have no worries about the week; Friday and Saturday are the hardest days.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you didn't drink Oakleaf - well done

Tough night tho - have you and your husband talked about the whole not drinking thing much?

D
Old 02-12-2011, 11:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nice job, Oakleaf. I don't know if I could have handled that just one week into sobriety. Tough situation you're in. Are you posting on the friends & family forums too? I haven't spent any time there, but I imagine they might offer some great additional support as far as your husband goes.

You sound really strong. Keep it up!
Old 02-12-2011, 11:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

D, we haven't talked much about it. He'll change the subject pretty quick if I bring it up, but he seems to be accepting that I really want to quit. I don't think he's ready to join me.

Ready...I will check out the friends and family forum too, thanks.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oak, you may not realize it, but what you are doing now will have a profound impact on your husband if you keep it up. Your story reminds me of how the tables turned in my life: I always needed to rely on a designated driver after spending hours or days getting wasted. And I was the spouse catching flak for late night sessions with the boys. The roles have reversed now: whenever I'm with friends or family who are drinking, I end up as the designated driver and get them home in one piece. I love sobriety.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You did a great job oakleaf! Wow...I know I would have caved if
I were in your shoes at 7 days sober! Heck I'm at 22 days today,
and it probably would have still rocked my world. How great will
it be to wake up Sunday morning knowing that you didn't drink!?
Old 02-13-2011, 03:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Good for you! Every time you resist you build that muscle. It's not hard for me to resist at all anymore. But every 'first' was tough. First night my husband drank a lot. First weekend we had people here (party!). First Christmas. They all passed and actually for whatever reason people don't seem to drink that much in front of me anymore.

Keep it up!
Old 02-13-2011, 07:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Journey of Recovery

Glad you made it through. And good for you for thinking it through to the next day!

Congrats on your 1 week!
Old 02-13-2011, 07:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Way to go on 1 week Oak!!!