Notices

DId anyone else go through this experience....

Old 02-12-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

DId anyone else go through this experience....

Am I alone in this occurance or is it fairly common....

When I started drinking.....and for many many many years, drinking DID cause problems, most NOT major, but when I drank I LIKED who I was.....LIVELY, FRIENDLY, OPEN, LOTS OF ENGERY, all my good points just amplified.

But these past couple years, it began to hit me differently, I became depressed, NO, ZILCH, NADA ENGERY, I BECOME OVERSENSITIVE, COMBATIVE.....I can go on and on with negative things........WHY THE CHANGE?

I THINK this has a big to do with why I decided to try and quit. Im finishing up my second week, no withdrawals, no desires.....and a few bad events have occured during this time span that would have sent me right to the packy.

Has ALCOHOL PULLED A QUICK SWITCH on anyone else?

Thanks.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have heard it explained that drinking stops working for us.

Alcoholism is a progressive disease.

As we drink, the alcohol stops working for us in a way that it once did.

Oh yes, we still feel the effects of alcohol, but what it used to do for us and to us changes.

It turns on us and takes from us and others as we progress along this path of a drinking life.

It stops working for us in a good way. It is no longer the fun it once was.

Why the change? Alcohol is hurting us in mind and body. Over time it gets worse not better.

I am glad that you have decided to try and quit. If alcohol worked for us, we wouldn't be trying to achieve sobriety.

I think most of us can relate to when the switch happens...from good times to bad.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, yes and yes.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was watching a doco on Hollywood in the 70s...they were talking about cocaine but it holds true for me with any drink or drug I tried...

I started out using it as a tool...then it became a crutch...then...I wasn't using it for anything...it became my whole life...it was my life.

D
Old 02-13-2011, 01:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

In the very beginning, when it was only one or two glasses of wine, yes, I liked myself better cause I was calmer and less easily irritated. But as I drank more, and more often, I became anxious and irritable and horribly depressed...
Old 02-13-2011, 02:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree with the others. When I first started it seemed to help me. I was using it to forget a painful situation and to deal with depression so drinking provided me the escape and I was a bit happy go lucky at first when drinking. Out of sight outta mind sort of thinking.

Over time it consumed me.....I used it for everything good or bad and it was part of my life and I didn't know how to live without it. Pretty scary days indeed. I lost my self-esteem, any respect for myself as a person and I loathed each day who I was.

It definitely has been quite a bit of work in my recovery and to figure out who I was again and I am grateful every day.

I get it. Thx for sharing and way to go on your journey!
Old 02-13-2011, 03:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Yep...that's what it does to most of use with a problem with alcohol. Congrats on your sober time.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The way I understand it is like this. Age and the destructiveness of alcohol make the effects of alcohol worse over time. Like others have said, "at some point we cross the line from social or even binge drinker into alcoholism". I don't recall the exact moment this happened for me, but I do remember when I was able to be a functioning alcoholic. I was able to work a normal job, be there for my family, still have hobbies, and still be able to drink like I want to. Getting drunk was something fun I could do in my "off" time.

Often this meant watching my favorite TV programs with my wife while drinking quite a few whiskey and cokes. I was able to feel the euphoria of the alcohol and enjoy whatever activity I was doing at the time that much more.

About a year ago this all changed. I would get much more argumentative when drinking. The euphoria came far less often. Many times I would just end up drunk without the laughter, the ease, the confidance, etc. that used to accompany drinking.

The question is, can I ever get the "good" back with drinking? Everything I've read, everything I've learned from others experiences say no. This sucks, but it is what it. That's where my recovery comes in. I'm finding a new way to live and that doesn't include alcohol.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Many alcoholics do say they came around because alcohol no did it for them anymore.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, absolutely!

I turned to alcohol, ultimately to self-medicate my horrible insomnia. It did work very well, briefly, very briefly. And, just when it had pulled me in completely, it took over my life.