Notices

Quitting, finally, gotta happen.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

You mean you have too many excuses to quit...right?
Old 02-17-2011, 08:47 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome.

Sorry to tell you this but I'd be careful with the kava kava because it's been linked to liver damage. (That's why I stopped using it- the last thing my liver needed was more stress and the buzz wasn't worth the risk.)

But anyway good luck! This place has been a great resource for me so I hope you find the same.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:26 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

At 12 beers a day after 12 years of drinking, you are on a similar pace as myself. I elected to continue drinking for an additional 8 years and was up to more than a case of beer a day after 20 years. I then decided to quit and almost died while in detox at the hospital under medical supervision. The single most difficult thing I've ever done in my life was stop drinking. I would encourage you to quit now as it will only get worse.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:24 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'd suggest not anticipating failure, but anticipate success. If you assume you're going to fail you've got a built in excuse to drink. Don't go there.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:34 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I know 12 beers a day is very bad, too many excuses, Supercrew, is maybe the right way to put it. They built up until I had the moment of weakness where I told myself, well, screw it, another time would be better. I have got to get back my determination and get out of this comfort in being drunk every day. The days I have been sober in the past, up to a whole month, I remember as being extremely good days, great sleep, beer-belly loss, ect. ect. Just typing this is making me yearn for the day that I WILL become sober , its coming back now maybe. I have got to get rid of any excuse that ive been able to trick myself into for so long, and put the drinking monster in its cage and swallow the key. Thanks for the support
Old 02-18-2011, 06:36 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wes1 View Post
At 12 beers a day after 12 years of drinking, you are on a similar pace as myself. I elected to continue drinking for an additional 8 years and was up to more than a case of beer a day after 20 years. I then decided to quit and almost died while in detox at the hospital under medical supervision. The single most difficult thing I've ever done in my life was stop drinking. I would encourage you to quit now as it will only get worse.
Thanks wes1, thats a wake up call, and an inspiration. Reading that, it says to me, well, its not too late to do it before I need serious help, before it gets harder to do. Thanks.

On the kava thing, I have researched it as well, its been linked to liver damage, but only if you use anything other than just the root. I think I would use it only in a pinch, the thing about it is, it is non-addictive and aids in sleep, and is an anti-depressant. The target here is alcohol. Maybe it would work in the same way I used electronic cigarette to quit smoking a year and 9 months ago or so. Alcohol is the only addiction I have to beat, im focused on that like a laser now as of today.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:49 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I was always going to quit "tomorrow" too..... year after year.......

At some point a lightbulb went off in my head: what was I waiting for? I knew I'd quit sooner or later, but why wait until I was scared out of my mind suspecting I had liver disease, or facing a DUI, or until my family and friends shook their heads and walked away?

And when would that be? 10 more years? Did I really want to repeat this cycle for that long? What would I lose in the meantime? Would I have any kind of life by then?

Bottom line: If I asked myself whether I was ready to stop the answer was always "hell, no!" Don't let that hold you back. Read everyone's posts and believe them when they say "I wish I'd gotten sober a long time ago."

Be good to yourself - you don't deserve this kind of life.:ghug3
Old 02-18-2011, 07:42 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Welcome and great intro message. Wishing you all the very best in your journey towards sobriety
Old 02-18-2011, 07:46 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to you too, Ruby

D