Notices

Another Nervous Newbie - but here goes !!

Old 02-11-2011, 12:49 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Slan - Being left alone was a biggie for me, too. The first time will be the hardest, so if you're going crazy, come here and read, read, read (and post). It will remind you of why you need to do this and give you something else to think about. When that alcoholic voice starts in tell it "NO!"

Getting to day 12 is awesome - you (and your son) deserve a happy, healthy life. I'm so glad you're here - keep going, just take it a minute at a time or an hour at a time. You'll be so grateful you did.:ghug3
Old 02-11-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by slan View Post
Hello All.

So i instantly put all the bottles into my car (to be stored at work, why can't i just dump them??), brushed my teeth, marked another sober day on the calendar and went to bed..

I woke this morning with a feeling of something approaching pride in myself, a feeling that maybe i CAN do this (so many of you here ARE doing this !), I want to belong to a community that understands how i feel about drinking and i want to one day to be able to say that stopping drinking forever is possible.
Congrats, that was nice to read. Good for you.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:11 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,

I've had an incredibly hard time the last few days.! The urge to have a few drinks was nearly overwhelming, i had nearly convinced myself that after two weeks sobriety i could now control my drinking. But guess what!, i didn't drink...
I logged on and read so many posts both of sucess and failure that i realised that i have to stop focusing on getting to six months, a year or whatever of sobriey. I've promised myself that i will only focus on one day at a time and that really has made each day seem achievable.
So, so far so good, a million thank yous to you all, I know i would not have made it this far without your advise and support.
Good luck and congrats to you all being so brave and honest, i'm glad to be part of your community.!!
Old 02-14-2011, 04:43 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Glad you are still hanging in there! Not an easy thing to do, I know

It does get easier. Google rational recovery's AVRT if you get a chance. I found it really helpful in the early days. Separating your own head from the 'alcoholic' voice/head.

And then new habits will develop with practice and patience. We alcoholics aren't known for our patience
Old 02-14-2011, 05:43 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi Slan, Well done on 2weeks.... that is amazing.

I remember thinking at day 2, I'll never make it to a month, and at 2 weeks, I'll never make another 2 days..... we all feel that way.
I'm on day 31 now, and am amazed I got here.... so yeah, you can do this, we can all do this. It is not easy, not at all, I feel your pain and struggle right now, but I'm gonna believe all those that have gone before me.

It will get better, hold on to the hope. And remember, we only have to not drink for today.

Welcome again.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:04 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Great job slan on your 2 wks sober. It does get easier, so stick with it and take it one day at a time.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:10 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi Slan...welcome to SR, I'm so glad you're here! As you've probably already figured out, you'll find a lot of support and encouragement at this site. So many of us have been there, done that, and lived to tell the tale. But what you also should know is that your posts - yours in particular since you've shared so much about what you're up to as you enter this new world of sobriety - help US more than you can know. It's all good. Take good care of yourself and keep on letting us share your journey.

Best of luck to you,

Stephanie
Old 02-14-2011, 06:15 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Welcome! I'm almost 3 weeks. I have a 9 year old. You described my daughter better than I could with "innocent confusion and fear". I'm doing my best to never forget that look on her face. You helped me today. Thank you.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:19 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
I dumped out probably fifteen bottles of wine and champagne (used to live with a professional winemaker) the day before my last.
That is more than impressive, Lexi. It almost hurts my head to think about.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:04 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Great update Slan!! We are all here to help each other so keep it going and know we are always here
Old 02-15-2011, 06:34 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Congrats to slan and others in early sobriety!
I've got just over 3 weeks and this site is an incredible source of support. Thank you all for sharing, it keeps me strong as well.