Notices

I hate the nights

Old 02-11-2011, 03:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I hate the nights

When I drank, I always passed out. I would wake up about 6 hours later and feel sick with guilt and the thoughts would start going through my head...how much did I drink, what couldn't I remember, what did I have to do the next day and would I be able to function, how awful would I look, and wouldn't everyone know that I had the hangover from hell? I would promise myself that I was finally going to quit but by mid afternoon when I was feeling better, I'd always justify that as soon as work was over, I could open that bottle of wine. Now that I'm on Day 11, I hate the nights. I fall asleep but wake up hourly, my dreams are bizarre, I think of everything I've done wrong in my life, I think about what I have to do the next day because I don't want to do anything, I think that life is no fun without alcohol and who am I without it? I wake up in the morning and feel like I'm hungover. I'm hoping this will change but right now, I'd almost choose the wine induced coma.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's difficult adjusting to a whole new life that's for sure, and insomnia's a pretty common component of everyone's early days....most people have sleep problems initially.

Most of us have lain there endlessly rehashing old regrets and old fears too. You don't need me to tell you how futile that is.

Have you tried any of these tips for a good night's sleep?
Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

As well, what are you doing with your nights MIBluebird?

I found I had to do new things - preferably things that engaged me and interested me....just sitting there like I used to do, but not drinking, was maddening, really.

Eating right is important for me too. Too much sugar or caffeine keeps me up - too much food does too.

I've also recently added a little nightly exercise into the mix - it's helped me sleep even better.

If you find this continues and it's impacting on you during the day or it worries you, it's probably a good idea to mention it to your doctor.

D
Old 02-11-2011, 04:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Bluebird, well done on eleven days! Tough time to quit in Michigan, with the really cold temps and it getting dark so early but I agree with Dee...changing your routine during your normal "drinking" time is important. I know exactly what you're talking about, feeling awful in the morning but by mid afternoon finding ways to justify drinking after work, I totally relate.

I am very early in sobriety but started hitting an AA meeting almost every night - lots near me, luckily - and in the last week what with the snow and work I haven't been to any meetings and my thoughts have been turning to drinking. I finally understand unequivocally that I can't quit drinking all by myself, I will always relapse...so you may want to give AA or some sort of support group a try.

One of my escapes from craving is to run a very hot bath and read until I feel real drowsy. Also I've been drinking a ton of grapefruit juice....for me it seems incompatible with drinking alcohol, maybe the sour taste.

So...I suggest finding something else to do that gets you away from your home drinking environment in the evenings. Visit friends or family. Go out to a coney for dinner. (Only Michigan people will get that one LOL.) If your avatar is your dog, sign up for a dog class in something. Go to a movie. If you stay home, do sit ups, get some yoga or exercise DVDs, clean house, like that.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Honestly, I think everyone who stops drinking initially has problems sleeping. I know I did. After the 2nd day of insomnia, I started taking Benadryl before bed and found I could sleep. I continued that for about a week, then stopped and my body was ready to sleep all on its own. I'm not suggesting that is the right thing to do, but it really helped me.
Welcome to SR, hope you can get some sleep soon!
Old 02-11-2011, 04:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wierdly enough. after the first two or three days, I was sleeping much, much better without being drunk...drinking was severely affecting my sleep. Part of it was having to get up to pee or waking up multiple times with terrible cotton-mouth.

But I realise from reading here that insomnia after quitting is extremely common, but it's temporary.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone. I quit drinking for 4 months last year about this same time and I wasn't experiencing these same problems. I felt good that I wasn't drinking but I wasn't addressing the reasons why I drank in the first place...I was just in that numb place where I like to go. I didn't cry, I didn't allow myself to feel, I just went through life doing everything people thought I should. I was doing Yoga on a regular basis though and loved it and know that was a huge help to me. Once I started drinking again, I gave that up (have you ever tried doing Yoga with a hangover???) and my drinking increased. My evenings have always been about happy hours and going down to the local corner bar to drink with our bar friends. Over the last few years I've gained weight, hate the way I look, and because of that I have gotten in the habit of wanting to drink alone, at home. I have become very sedentary, very reclusive, not talking to my friends or family and totally shutting my husband out. I finally decided I couldn't live with the way I look and feel anymore so I went to an addiction therapist who also deals with anxiety and depression which I've had most of my life. I've been through therapists in the past but I connected with her and so many things she talked about in my first visit rang true. Now, I'm writing my feelings down through this forum, I cried this morning after I read Dee's post, and then I felt literally sick and had vertigo. I know these are all good things and part of the process but when I truly let myself feel, I'm scared to death. As far as what I have been doing at night since I stopped drinking, I watch TV and I read (another way to not have to think)! My best friend stopped by yesterday and we did yoga together and we are going to continue on a regular basis. I have three dogs (my avatar is a pic of our youngest, Jake) that belong to a fabulous dog park where I can walk them unleashed at any time. To make myself get out and do these things is hard but your advice is well taken because I know how much better I feel when I make the effort. Why is the effort so hard though??? Thanks again...all of you are helping me in more ways then you know.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Bluebird!

You're doing great. Keep up the good work....As for why is it so hard? I think that for me it was all about these things:
A) Emotionally, I was all over the map when I stopped drinking
B) Physically, I felt like crap
C) Mentally, I was trying to embrace new habits, which are always tough to do.

You're doing the right things. Don't get overwhelmed. Take baby steps -- in the right direction. The rest will follow. One step at a time.

Good for you!

ddog
Old 02-11-2011, 10:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
part time member

Why is the effort so hard though???
Remember that it gets easier with each day. That is hard to comprehend in the beginning but it is true. Just don't drink today and when tomorrow comes don't drink and so on. I read and played lots of FlashPoker here on SR. Books are listed somewhere here under social clubs or something.

Congratulations on your time.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Changing our lives - which is really what we're doing - takes a little effort
It's a scary deal MIB...and difficult sometimes too....but you're not alone

D
Old 02-11-2011, 01:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

In early sobriety I was so unmotivated and tired all the time. It takes a while for our brains to get into balance again. There were nights I thought would never end (if nothing else, at least I could sit in bed with my laptop).....

We're not used to being patient - we want to solve or enhance every mood immediately! I had to start being my own best friend again: give myself little rewards, think about how important my life really is, and resolve to be sober no matter what. It's the loving thing to do for ourselves and you're worth it!

You know what will happen if you keep drinking, but you don't know what great things just might happen if you stay sober! Keep positive! Keep going!:ghug3
Old 02-11-2011, 01:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's Friday nite and the norm would be counting the minutes until it's 5:00 (wine time!), grabbing a glass or two before I even go out, and then going to the local bar to drink myself into oblivion. In the morning I wouldn't remember the last part of the evening, coming home, or going to bed. The good news is that I'm not craving it and I'm looking forward to 5:00 without a drink. I have a weekend to look forward to where I'm not hungover which will motivate me to do things...and because of the good advice I'm getting from all of you, I have healthy things planned for most of my evenings next week to keep myself active. God bless.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Try doing something, anything, everything different.

Also, I'm sure there's an AA meeting close by if you're interested in being around other people just like you.

Kjell