Notices

Get help!!!

Old 02-10-2011, 01:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
where the light is

Get help!!!

One of the greatest hurdles in achieving lasting sobriety was to finally suck up my pride and ask for help. I thought there was so much shame in admitting I needed help, that it would become public knowledge that I have an alcohol problem.

But I just became so desperate and sick of the repeated failures to quit on my own. I'm not at all saying that it was easy to ask for help. It was hard but I really had to do it. The option of keeping on drinking would have cost me everything. I know that.

I now have more than three years of sobriety and my life is awesome. I don’t crave or obsess about alcohol. That’s completely in my past.

On December 17, 2007, I called the local AA hotline and, as it turned out, met with my sponsor that night. On December 18, 2007 I went to my first AA meeting.

I also opened up to my uncles (recovered alcoholics & spiritual leaders), my sister, and eventually my closest friend.

I got into counselling to deal with anxiety, talked to my doctor and was prescribed a low-dose anti-depressant.

So my “recovery team” consisted of my AA sponsor, recovered alcoholics, counsellor, doctor, spiritual leaders, family & friends. I listened and did my best to do what they told me to do.

With a team like this, is it any wonder why I am a happy non-drinker, confident, enjoying life?

And as far as what other people think, most don’t care. My family and friends are so happy for me. And if my recovery is water-cooler or Face Book talk for some people, so what? I’m sure what people said about my weekend drunks was a lot juicier! lol

I just want to let newcomers know that there is no shame in admitting a problem and reaching out for help. It actually takes strength to do this. Perhaps the real tragedy is letting pride stop you from getting the help & solution that's right in front of you.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Bumping this up
Old 02-10-2011, 07:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Very inspirational Gravity!!
Old 02-10-2011, 07:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Congratulations, Gravity.

I like messages to newbies. That there is hope. That it can be done. You've led by example. Awesome!
Old 02-10-2011, 07:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Thanks for sharing...very inspiring. Congrats on the sober time.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's a great mssg to pass on, D - thanks

It has particular resonance for me...not reaching out, wanting to keep things 'private', and being too proud to admit this had bested me very nearly killed me.

Whatever way you want to go - be it seeing your Dr, AA, SMART, some other recovery group, counselling, rehab or just posting here...do something - do reach out - it's worth it

D
Old 02-14-2011, 08:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

bumping this up again
Old 02-15-2011, 02:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What a great post! Funny you mention Facebook...I think that well over half of my FB friends are from AA. Most of us remain 'anonymous' as far as how we know each other and don't openly discuss alcoholism or being in AA on the pages of FB, but it's always so cool to have someone put a milestone in their status for the day...those who are 'in the know' know exactly what it means when someone's status simply says '6 months' or 'Green chip!' or whatnot.

Thanks again for such a positive post - you made my day!
Old 02-15-2011, 04:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thx for posting Gravity!!!! I 100% know that it was reaching out for support that got me to where I am now and has helped me set the foundation for a good life.

Beyond grateful for having that courage to say I need help.

Wonderful word to pass on
Old 02-15-2011, 04:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

THank you Gravity. I feel the same about my recovery; happy joyous and free - at last!
Old 02-15-2011, 04:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
back again 11/09/2011

Thankyou gravity

I can identify with those feelings of shame. I went to my first AA meeting Saturday night, asked for help and now I'm not so bothered about my perceived 'shame' of being an alcoholic. In fact I suppose in a bizarre way I'm quite pleased I've admitted it at least now I can relax, stop hiding from the world and put my life back together.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Talking

gravity!!!