Notices

Switching jobs / big changes tomorrow

Old 02-09-2011, 05:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Switching jobs / big changes tomorrow

Hi all,

I have 69 days sober today! I've posted threads on here about a potential job change and tomorrow, that day comes. This move is one that I need to make to support my family, but is not one that I wanted to make.

My AA home-group is very close to my old job but not close to my new one. I will no longer be able to make my typical noon meetings. During the past 69 days I've seen a dramatic change. When I came into the program I was at a low. I was isolating, drinking, and just not feeling good about myself in any way. Today, I have more friends than I have since I can remember and really feel "a part" of that group. I am so scared I'll lose that. Moreover, I'm scared I will not be able to create that again.

I do have another club that I will be going to. I will be able to hit meetings daily. And I will be able to go to my current club twice per week. I was going six times per week.

If anyone has any experience with this or pointers, I'm all ears. I love my new sober life and don't want to lose it.

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 02-09-2011, 05:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think we make our own successes so I think you'll be ok Reggie, but I hope all works out for you - best of luck with the new job

D
Old 02-09-2011, 05:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Dee, Reggie!

Good luck with the new job!
Old 02-09-2011, 05:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Good luck!
Old 02-09-2011, 05:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Best of luck with the new job!

Keep an open mind with the new meetings. Try not to compare them too much to your favorite that you were used to. Sometimes change is a good thing so we don't get too comfortable, know what I mean?
Old 02-09-2011, 06:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

RW, hope you can post lots on SR...your words are very inspiring to me. Sending strength your way...
Old 02-09-2011, 07:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks guys and gals. I am trying to go into it with an open mind. I'll definitely not be changing coming to this site! It helps me so much...
Old 02-09-2011, 07:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on 69 days!! I have no advice on your situation as I just started AA but I went in december to one and left angry at one of the old timers comments to an addict. I never went back. I moved for a job and Now I am on day 6 and at a new place where I feel very welcome.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Way to go on 69 days!!! I have a feeling you will make it just fine with your new meeting people. New job too...you are really turning your life around!! Congrats RW!
Old 02-09-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You're always so positive Mscooterbrown. Don't ever change!
Old 02-09-2011, 11:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You will do great Reggie. You have all those beautiful sober days because of you and the work you did

Certainly this new road will bring more good things and focusing on maintaining your support is so important.

Kinda scary to leave the nest so to speak but you have your priorities straight. You are here and you are continuing your recovery.

Looking forward to your continued journey!
Old 02-09-2011, 11:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

It's going to be all good, Reggie. Those connections you've made won't disappear because you can now only go to your own clubhouse 2 days a week instead of 6. Those people will still be there, and you'll still see them a couple times a week, but now you'll have new friends and experiences to add to the old ones. The more the merrier, I say.

Good luck with your new job. I hope everything works out fantastically for you.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sobriety is not only making positive and healthy changes, but allowing positive and healthy changes to happen.

This may not seem like a positive and healthy change and it is certainly not an idealistic change, but think of the reasons why you are making this change. You are making this less than idealistic change because you are a good person, father, and spouse. You are making this change because in order to keep a roof over your family's head. You are allowing this change to happen for very good and healthy reasons.

Sobriety is about being responsible, which you are doing. It is also thinking about others, which you are doing. It would be nice if you could stay in your little sphere, but changes for one reason or another happen, and we need to learn how to cope with these changes, especially when they are not on our terms. It would be great if all of life's changes were on our terms, but they are not. Learning how to deal with life's changes that are not on our terms is apart of sobriety.

You will meet some new friends at your new club. You will still have your old friends at your old club, which you will still have the opportunity to visit. Honestly, it sounds like you have the best of both worlds; you will be able to meet new friends while your foundation of old friends is still easily within your reach.

You have a lot to be grateful for and that is truly awesome.