Notices

I Drank After 23 Days Of Being Sober

Old 02-09-2011, 02:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Drank After 23 Days Of Being Sober

So on Monday night I had 2 bottles of rose wine after my dad was brought back into hospital.

I'm really quite disappointed at my reaction but it is not totally unexpected as I was pretty depressed by the news.

What have I learnt? Well.

1) Caffeine makes me stressed out. I had loads of caffeine throughout Monday. No more caffeine for me.
2) I ate like crap on Monday night after drinking the booze. I have put on weight. This has irritated me.
3) Most importantly, I'm back to not drinking again but I keep looking back and thinking '**** I was onto a good thing there until I drank again.'

Argh. Double argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-09-2011, 02:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don't be too hard on yourself. It took me ten years of trying to stop completely.
Relapse can be part of the equation, it doesn't have to be, but many of us have had our slips.

Yes, I would avoid caffiene, it can be a real trigger.
Pull yourself up and start again. Maybe try something different, like a support group.
Whichever path you take, best to you.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your dads health and for the stress it causes - and I'm sorry you went back to old behaviours.

I did that many times, for many reasons.

It's tough to forge a new path, and learn to live a new way - but it's entirely possible.

Welcome back
D
Old 02-09-2011, 02:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

NEVER give up! Keep on trying until you 'get it'. Now get back up on the wagon and do this again, with more effort.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your Dad. But of coarse you drank, that is what alcoholics do. Until we learn new tools for when we are stressed, we will continue drinking. Keep coming back.... and you will learn new tools.

Don't beat yourself up too much. Most of us slipped a few times before we stayed up.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bdiddy5522 View Post
Sorry to hear about your Dad. But of coarse you drank, that is what alcoholics do. Until we learn new tools for when we are stressed, we will continue drinking. Keep coming back.... and you will learn new tools.

Don't beat yourself up too much. Most of us slipped a few times before we stayed up.
I dunno if it's helpful labeling me an alcoholic. I struggled to cope in the circumstances and I'd have happily have taken a Valium to calm my nerves.

Or had a donut.

I just find it very difficult to cope at times under circumstances that are unparalleled in my life.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Don't be hard on yourself. We all make mistakes. Since you went 23 days try this, start over and go 46 days without drinking. Once day 46 arrives, then go another 46. I found that setting goals really helps.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome back...

Seems there are other, more fundamental, lessons to be learned ... Be honest with yourself and you will find more than those you have listed.

Mark