Notices

what did you replace the drink with??

Old 02-08-2011, 07:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what did you replace the drink with??

I'm doing ok with the urge - and at the same realizing how much time was consumed by the drinking. The working out idea is the obvious, but I'm not in bad shape (yes I could be better). My question to all of you here reading this is - what did you do once you had this extra time on your hands?
Old 02-08-2011, 07:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
xuse

family time so far
Old 02-08-2011, 07:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hitekredneck View Post
I'm doing ok with the urge - and at the same realizing how much time was consumed by the drinking. The working out idea is the obvious, but I'm not in bad shape (yes I could be better). My question to all of you here reading this is - what did you do once you had this extra time on your hands?
Read the AA book, help someone out, make a call to someone in the program (or not in the program), do something that you enjoy maybe a hobbie or a sport, hit a meeting, basically anything that gets me out of myself is always a good start.. hope that helps
Old 02-08-2011, 08:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I attend my local AA fellowship for meetings.

I read my Big Book, and come here to SR.

I have been taking care of things that were put off for too long! Taking outstanding items on my to do list, and getting things accomplished one by one!

I love to go for a drive, listen to AA speakers, or Joe and Charlie Big Book study in my car, or music...to be able to drive at night, and see a sunset or a glorius full moon...sober? Whoo Hoo!

How is that for freedom!

Going to the library and getting books to read is nice. Going to a movie and seeing something on the large screen is fun.

I work on trying to make my home a nicer place. Buy something new even if it is just a new carpet with a current holiday theme for the kitchen sink or stove...making where I live a happier place has been good.

I like to shop, and buy myself healthy foods, now that I have extra money that I don't waste on alcohol!

I started going to church again.

Endless possibilities...

Just need an endless travel budget and I would be all set...travel dreamer that I am...yearning for a sandy beach by the tropical breeze....Aloha!
Old 02-08-2011, 08:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

making where I live a happier place ........

I'm going to sign up to that one Veritas. Thank you !

And thank you all for those posts. I'm going to get a pad and start some lists.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I coach youth sports, but I was able to do that drinking. I have been able to get in the best physical condition since I was 21. I work out 6 days a week and I am walking/jogging about 5 miles a day as well. Aside from doing that I am in bed by 10PM almost every night, and up before the sun. I started research body building and health supplements, and I have been able to do more individual coaching with my son in whatever sport he is playing. Staying sober keeps me moving, and it hasn't hurt my lifetime procrastination problem either . Work and homelife are being successfully balanced very well, and I am happy doing both! Plus I have been able to spend more quality time with my wife, instead of hiding from her every night in my office so I could get my drink on.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

There was an active Thread about this...probably a lot more than one, but the one I'm thinkin of was a few months ago and had a lot of activity and good suggestions. Seem to remember one person alone came up with 100 ideas.

Exercise

Reading

Movies

Playing with the dogs

Home projects

Slinky races

Lots and lots of things.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I picked up books on addiction so I could better understand why I got hit with the drunken gene.
When it is nice I go for long walks.
I check into SR daily..
I have alot of money these days...turned out that I must have been spending a FORTUNE drinking. duh..so shopping is always nice..I love it that I can drive now..Before I had a fear of manuvers from the cops so I just stayed home...too drunk to drive..those days are over!!!! I got my happy back!!!!
Old 02-08-2011, 08:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Carol just posted that 100 things to do list..can't remember where I saw it..Someone will come along and post it I bet...
Old 02-08-2011, 08:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hey supercrew - what you posted just slammed me upside my head - the staying up, procrastinating, and I didn't sign up to coach this year - wow this is a wake up night for me. this board is really a great resource.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Being around kids and coaching keeps me young and it's something I really enjoy, and it was tough trying to keep a buzz going while doing it. Obviously the pitfalls could be that most coaches get together for beers to discuss the team and game plans and watch film, but I have been able to let everyone of the guys that I coach with know that I no longer drink. Funny thing is now when we do these meetings everyone seems to listen to my views more, and even though some of the guys I used to drink heavily with they don't really care whether I'm drinking a beer or a diet coke. It has been an good experience and it has helped me accept my sobriety just by the fact that other accept and respect it. Sign back up as soon as you can, because the world needs more coaches and mentors.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yeah I coach too, but I have for years anyway. However not drinking has made a pretty big difference in the way I go about it, mostly for the better.

I'm reading a lot more, and getting more things done around the house.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
the illogical vulcan

Believe it or not I've been teaching myself how to juggle I've found it helps keep my mind off of drinking.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by invisigoth View Post
Believe it or not I've been teaching myself how to juggle I've found it helps keep my mind off of drinking.
I can handle 3 objects, but still haven't figured out how to do 4 or more.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
the illogical vulcan

Originally Posted by Supercrew View Post
I can handle 3 objects, but still haven't figured out how to do 4 or more.
I'm still trying to master 3. I don't have real juggling balls so I've been using clementines.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

exercise and study
Old 02-09-2011, 04:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I havent replaced "the drink". I learned a better way to live. Just sayin...
Old 02-09-2011, 05:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Journey of Recovery

I volunteer at the hospital and at the alano club
Meetings and meetings after the meetings
Mall walking with other sober people
12th step work
Reading
Lunch and coffee with my AA friends
Time with my family
Thrift stores and yard sales
Life is good!
Old 02-09-2011, 06:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Currently teaching myself to play the Beatles "two of us" on the ukulele. Paul put some tricky rhythm shifts in there for me....
Old 02-09-2011, 11:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stugotz View Post
I havent replaced "the drink". I learned a better way to live. Just sayin...
I am thinkin...now that you are not drinking and smoking...juggling could be just the ticket you need!!!!!!!! You just have to get some real balls. Instead of clemintines.