Notices

How long does the depression last?

Old 12-27-2019, 05:22 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by michelle01 View Post
My experience was like Anna's, I self medicated underlying depression with alcohol, but alcohol in itself is a depressant so in the long run that was ineffective. For many people, the depression associated with withdrawal will resolve itself. Others may need further treatment.

If the depression becomes protracted, don't hesitate to seek medical advice. Anything associated with thoughts of self harm should be taken issue with immediately.

Group therapy and/or counseling can often help. I was encouraged to look after nutritional needs (a counselor I saw recommended to me Vitamin B), take up a form of physical activity as it can boost the natural feel good endorphins, try to keep to a regular sleep schedule, etc. Not always easy when suffering insomnia and loss of appetite in early sobriety as I did, but self care is important and many of us with long standing addiction problems have a tendency to neglect it.

I tried to remind myself that many of my symptoms were actually signs of my body and mind trying to do repair work, a part of the overall recovery/healing process. During this time, you have to be a little forgiving and patient with yourself. It's tough, but it is really better for you in the long run if you can stay sober through the process and avoid relapse... whatever it takes.
What happens if three years after stopping the drinking the depression still hasn’t gone away , after 20 medications .
Old 12-27-2019, 05:33 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not being a wise guy rharman but for me the next step would be med 21...or a new Dr, or maybe investigating non medication approaches - meditation, acupuncture SAD lights, exercise- whatever....

its really important not to give up

D
Old 12-27-2019, 06:06 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I relate a lot to your comment, rharman. I remained depressed, even though I was abstinent for years. Finding a new therapist and being honest has helped. Most of all, I got a new diagnosis that explained everything and allowed me to move forward.

Protecting yourself from unnecessary stress/stressful people also helps, too.
Old 12-27-2019, 06:09 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

12,000 views of a post with only 23 replies must be some sort of SR record.
Old 12-27-2019, 06:35 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pouncer View Post
I relate a lot to your comment, rharman. I remained depressed, even though I was abstinent for years. Finding a new therapist and being honest has helped. Most of all, I got a new diagnosis that explained everything and allowed me to move forward.

Protecting yourself from unnecessary stress/stressful people also helps, too.
Finding the right therapist is critical to those who have depression regardless of alcohol. Or anxiety in my case. I had therapists whose personalities just didn't jive with mine. I was overly analytical and logical, many of them a bit too hippie dippie for me. Then I found a great one who understood how my brain works and she has a way of working with me that the others never figured out. And she may have (appears to) have gotten to the source of my problem after 15 years of others failing.

If one isn't working, we can't be afraid to say so.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:39 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

For rharman: this is from Australia and I thought it was good.

https://thiswayup.org.au/how-do-you-feel/sad/#causes