Notices

New here...question...

Old 02-07-2011, 08:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here...question...

Hello everyone. While I have not posted my story (and I will!), I would like to know the difference between people who have the addiction of drinking every day and those who only drink on occasion...binging. Anyone out there that can explain or give some insight? I am definitely the binge type, and someone dear to me is also. I would like to direct her here. Thanks everyone. Glad I found this site.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think there's any difference at all. Alcoholism is not about how often you drink or how much, it's about what happens to you when you drink. Is drinking affecting your life in a negative way? If so, we are here to help.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Welcome to Sober Recovery. You have found a GREAT place with lots of Experience, Strength and Hope (ES&H) from folks who have been where you are now.

Absolutely no difference. Since Alcoholism is progressive, what usually happens is the binges get closer together until the person has become a daily drinker, if they continue to drink and not find sobriety.

J M H O

Again, WELCOME!!!!!!

Love and hugs,
Old 02-07-2011, 09:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Both conditions can seriously deteriorate ones emotional, mental and psychical health along with creating big problems with legal, financial and the family.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yep. I started as a binge drinker. Eventually I binged every night.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovered.

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post
Same..............
Old 02-07-2011, 09:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you kindly...you know, I never knew this. Biggest problem is I absolutely HATE myself when I binge drink, which is about once per week...always socially. My problem is I don't know when to stop once I am having a good time, etc. Thanks...I have already decided the local Starbucks is going to be my best friend for a while, along with my iPad reading as much as possible while having a hot cup of java. I am sick of this behavior in myself!!!
Old 02-07-2011, 10:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Reading about other people's experiences here really helped me a lot; sort of turned the light on for me, which pushed me from wanting to quit to being committed about it. My only regret is I didn't do it sooner—so be grateful that you're taking a hard look at your drinking now, not years down the road. Welcome to SR!
Old 02-07-2011, 10:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
redblue

I was or am like you zig at least in terms of alcohol and i can say that it is progressive so i would say your best bet is probably just to quit now if you are having these feelings. Reading with your sober time is a great idea build your mind dont break it, right?
Old 02-07-2011, 01:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome zig

I used to believe (insist even) they were different...until the space between the bingers got shorter and shorter and I went from binging to drinking every day.

It's the same deal, IMO.

Good for you for making some changes
D
Old 02-07-2011, 01:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I saw first hand the progressive nature of alcoholism. I too was an out and out binger and always drank that way. However my drinking progressed to where I would drink solidly for 2-3 days around the clock and was totally and utterly powerless over doing this, once booze was in my sytem then I wasn't stopping. I knew that if I continued then I would become physically dependant on alcohol and drinking 24/7, if I had of been made homeless for example. I don't think I would have lasted long to be honest as I my drinking and blackouts were very messy.

For me then once I truly accepted to my innermost self that I am an alcoholic then I was able to stay sober and be grateful for this by totally committing to recovery. I used to refer to myself as a binge-drinker/mashhead/wreckhead/party boy/rock n' roll etcetc and until I referred to myself as an alcoholic then I wouldn't have got and stayed sober. Living in UK then for me it's essential to know the score for why I ain't like most others out there getting hammered. For me then drink would destroy my life and take evrything from me, that isn't the case for your average University binge-drinker. Truthfully most of the binge-drinkers I hear about don't drink anywhere near how I used to drink, I drank differently to them and viewed booze differently to them - I'm an alcoholic, and very grateful I am aware of that face too.

Peace
Old 02-07-2011, 02:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Zig210.

I tend to agree with the others; I don't think there is much difference. For myself, I started binging in high school/college. Eventually the drinking would creep into the weekdays (although I never was a daily binger or a daily drinker either). Now that I am in my late twenties I am realizing the progression that has happened. I know that if I don't stop it very well cold become a daily phenomenon. And that is not the way I want to live my life.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Totally true

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post
I'd be cool during the week, maybe have just one after mowing the lawn or something but then get wasted all weekend. Year by year by year I got to where I am (well, where I was), drinking every single day, almost all day on some days. Soon I'd "need" a drink in the morning to deal with stress before work or to stop my hands from shaking.

Even if you're aren't an alcoholic, binge drinking is terribly dangerous. Just look at all those poor college kids that lose their lives that way.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone here who were nice enough to give me much needed support. I have some serious work ahead to get myself straight. But honestly...I woke up this morning thinking...I won't go thru this again. Can't do it. That is what got me out of bed today. I will post my story tomorrow...again, thanks a million!
Old 02-07-2011, 06:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Zig - Glad you're wanting to get sober. None of us deserves to live with the hangovers, blackouts, regrets, and damage that alcohol does.

When I first got sober it was hard to deal with the urges, but I got through them by coming here and reading and posting. It's nice to have others to talk to who understand and to know we're not alone.

Hang in there!