Notices

I want to be an alcoholic

Old 02-06-2011, 10:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I want to be an alcoholic

Now that I have realized my disease, now that I see all of the negative effects that drinking had on my life, my mood, my relationships -- AND -- now that I have begun to take the steps to grow spiritually, to trek out on the amazing adventure that is recovery, to start to delve deeply into my life in order to improve it, I must say: I am glad that I am an alcoholic. I want to be an alcoholic.

Because, as an alcoholic, I now have the opportunity to completely change the way in which I live in this world, the way I live with myself, the way I work with others. It allows me to better myself, to reach out, to find a deeper path. It had gifted me: I can fully immerse myself into the betterment of my life and the lives of others. I must be of service. I must get out of my own way. I must start to truly fulfill my purpose. I am also losing weight!

For all these things, I am thankful that I am an alcoholic.

It took me a long time to get to this realization. But what a revelation! What a wonder, what a blessing.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

WOW, that's all, just WOW. After 20 years of coming around the tables there's not much I can hear that truly rocks me. You just did.

THANK YOU,

Ron
Old 02-06-2011, 11:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for that great post!!

I too am grateful to be an alcoholic, and for many of the reasons that you talk about there!!

Thanks again,

Peace
Old 02-06-2011, 11:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

If you have not....please add your positive thoughts here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...alcoholic.html

Forward we go..side by side
Old 02-06-2011, 11:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by thisisforellie View Post

... I must say: I am glad that I am an alcoholic. I want to be an alcoholic.
There is a big difference between a drunk and an alcoholic;

A drug wants to get his old life back without the consequences.

A alcoholic wants a whole new life.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

I too am grateful.
I've found a whole new spiritual life now. I see things in a positive light. I take every opportunity to improve myself and my relationship with others.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I have so much shame and guilt from being an alcoholic I just don't understand right now how anyone could be grateful to have a chronic disease. A disease that society discriminates against. A disease that destroys families. I am envious of folks who are though and hope to one day be there. I was never grateful to be an alcoholic even with 2+ years of sobriety. Perhaps thats why I relapsed? Sorry but this post brought up some emotion.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

"Because, as an alcoholic, I now have the opportunity to completely change the way in which I live in this world, the way I live with myself, the way I work with others. It allows me to better myself, to reach out, to find a deeper path. It had gifted me: I can fully immerse myself into the betterment of my life and the lives of others. I must be of service. I must get out of my own way. I must start to truly fulfill my purpose. I am also losing weight! "

I see what you mean by this.. BUT non-alcoholic people are capable of doing the same thing and drinking socially as well.. I have pondered this subject a lot lately.. some days I'm greatful to be an alcoholic but usually I'm not.. It beats the hell out of being an active alcoholic though
Old 02-06-2011, 08:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I go back and forth w/ this as well, and have come to the conclusion that while normies can potentially change their lives, and still drink normally, the truth is that the vast majority of them do not. I know that if I could drink normally, I'd probably be content to just live a somewhat boring life...superficial...not making connections on a deeper level. Because really, what would be the reasoning? Why would I strive for something deeper? I'm just complacent like that

So by being an alcoholic, I was literally FORCED to change my life if I want to live, to survive, to be happy. Being conplacent, having a superficial life, is not an option for me. And I am SO glad. It's almost like I've realized that I'm meant to live an outstanding deeper life - and it I had to be an alcoholic to follow this path, then so be it.

At least this is how I'm feeling 'today' It's been a great day w/ sober friends and recovery yoga...tomorrow on the other hand...haha.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I totally agree with gratitude for being an alcoholic. Being in recovery has changed me in so many positive ways that I can't imagine I would have even noticed were I a "normie". I consider it a very strange blessing in disguise. And I would not be here had I not been there.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by jme2788 View Post
I see what you mean by this.. BUT non-alcoholic people are capable of doing the same thing and drinking socially as well
I don't know many who do though. Most "regular" people are pretty selfish people, usually unwilling to work on themselves and usually full of pride. I used to be one of them or at least wanted to be one of them.

I think there is something to the suffering and anyone who suffers, then recovers, something amazing happens regardless of what the illness, disease, or "brush with death" is.

In my experience, for an alcoholic to truly recover, we must change who we are and if we're willing to do that, we turn into truly beautiful people, giving people, unselfish people living with humility and purpose.

It's hard work at times, but it's f-ing wonderful. Simply wonderful.

This is a GREAT post.

Viva recovery!

Kjell
Old 02-07-2011, 09:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Abnormally normal

Wow...Thank you so much for your post!!

I've come across some posts about people expressing how they're grateful for being an alcoholic and I would literally shoutout "WHAT??" and shake my head in disbelief. Because in my fresh 'under developed' alcoholic mind, I'd chalk it up to them hiding behind a 'happy' face to apprear to be ok w/ it.
I mean who can be grateful about being an alcoholic?
Why would they? How could they?

I'm new to recovery and was/am still very angry at alcoholism and everything about it.

But again...WOW!
After reading your post...I get what it means and what they've meant to be grateful! Their words finally make sense to me.
Your words have shined a light on how I can take my experience and find some meaning for it.
I've posted that I want to know everything about alcoholism to understand why and how it happens, but for my personal reasons.
Now...you're words have made me re-think what it means and how I feel about being an alcoholic and to be grateful that I can turn this into a positive thing in my life. To learn about it, not to ease my anger, but to 'serve a purpose'.

Again..WOW!
Let the healing begin and the 'under developed' alcoholic mind evolve.

Thanks so much!

Fabi
Old 02-07-2011, 12:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

I'm bumping this thread in hopes of more replies.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

"True spirituality can only be achieved through great and vast suffering". Quote by ?

Don't ask me where I heard or read that^^^, but someone of import said it. (Then again, maybe it was in some movie ). Either way, that is exactly how I feel about my disease, and why I am - like the OP - grateful to have seen and experienced the depths of my own depravity. From those depths and the horror I both experienced and caused others, it became easy to understand that there had to be an equal yet opposite side of me possible, or else life itself would be meaningless.

I don't see most regular folk being forced into asking "the great question", the life or death decision that is part of our daily life. Most regular folks take their own life and the welfare of their families completely for granted. I will never again have that "ignorance is bliss" attitude, and I definitely wouldn't ever want it if offered.

I'm certainly not hinting that people must crash cars or wind up in jail or intensive care from alcoholism in order to find their spiritual core, but I am saying that when the alcoholic hits bottom we are both much closer and much more willing to see the importance of such a quest. At least more than those who go through daily life paying bills, raising kids, having barbecues, and drinking a few beers now and then.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I once told my therapist that I was grateful to be an alcoholic for the exact same reason as the OP...I've never seen her look so confused. Ha!

If I weren't such a miserable, wasted mess for so long, I don't think I'd be the grounded, positive person I am today.

I had to nearly lose my life to earn a meaningful one. And for that, I'm grateful.