Notices

That was nuts - Day 6

Old 02-05-2011, 09:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

That was nuts - Day 6

Yesterday morning after some prodding in the chat room and another night of my chest pounding, headaches and ear ringing I went to see the doc. I really did not want to make my dependency documented (because of my job and the fact that I live in a small town) but I really wanted something to bring my blood pressure down and there must be some privacy act right?

When I got to my doctors she ordered/ran some tests including an EKG and left me in the room. When she came back she notified me that 911 had been called and an ambulance was on the way because my EKG had shown signs of a heart attack. REALLY?? I told her I was detoxing and that was probably the case but she wasn't taking any chances.

Of-course I called my wife, she called my family and before I even got to the hospital my cell phone was blowing up from every one I new. I just turned it off.

The hospital was like a MASH episode were people were being triage'd/treated in every open space available. [side-gripe] Any sense of patient dignity has been completely lost.[/side-gripe] They wheeled me into my parking spot in the hall waiting for a series of tests and staff to ask me questions, were I naturally knew the majority of the people walking down the halls. This went on for several hours, different tests, different halls, different people and then I finally got put into a room with about 15-20 other people.

The doctor came in around 2:00 and told me that the tests were inconclusive but since I was feeling better now it was probably the detoxing, they were just going to wait for a few more test results and the they would probably release me.

Around 7:30pm the doctor came in and said he was going to release me, he just needed to fill out the papers and I would be on my way. I went to change out of that stupid robe were your rear end hangs out into real clothes.

When I came back the nurse said she had been looking for me because they had a room for me?? NOOOO! I told her I was being released and she told me to wait there. An hour later she came back to take me to a room were I was to be discharged.

Part of the discharge was to take my vitals and that's when the girl said Why is your blood pressure so high? I can't release you. I told her that I was detoxing and she needed to talk to the doctor.

Finally I was released at around 9:30 with:

Diagnosis: Alcohol Detox. (now it's documented), and instructions to follow up with my doctor for blood pressure treatment. Some documentation on alcohol withdraw and in little tiny letters at the bottom it said: Best of luck with your continuing sobriety!

No wonder I drank so much, this world is nutts!!
Old 02-05-2011, 09:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Sounds inconvenient, but it's still best that you went and had yourself checked out. Better to be on the safe side, always. Having it documented that you went in for alcohol detox is not the end of the world. Not going in and having a real heart attack or stroke very well could have been.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yea, the ER is nuts...

Well, you know you are OK... what if you hadn't been OK and you didn't go... that detox sh1t can kill you. Cool little note on the bottom, huh? Someone there reached out to you... whoever wrote that had been where you were... recovered people are cool, they really do try to lend a hand...

So what are doing towards your recovery today?

Old 02-05-2011, 09:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are right recovered people are very cool and I had the thought about the note. Trying to relax today because the BP is still very high and hanging out here today with all of you. Tomorrow Super Bowl Party, I am really looking forward to it but will bail if temptation raises it's head.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Can you watch the SuperBowl at home? I sure wouldn't want to hang around booze after what you've just been through.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You know, being an alcoholic kept me from doing so many things and I just don't want being sober to do the same. This party is one of the biggest events all year and my friend spares no expense. It really is just a heck of a lot of fun.

BUT if I even feel like it's too much I'm outta there - Promise.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

inthecan - I can imagine how frustrating that was (only adding to the blood pressure issue, probably!) yet I agree it was for the best. I do understand what you mean about your job & living in a small town, but I felt so much better when my secret was out and I didn't feel the need to hide it any more.

I know you'll feel encouraged when you get through tomorrow without picking up. All those "firsts" are a challenge, but when we make it through without caving it gives us a huge boost. We can actually live without it - who knew?
Old 02-05-2011, 10:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh ya, I forgot the best part about yesterday. Most of you that have read my post know that my wife has been fighting me about the quitting because she doesn't want to lose a drinking buddy. Ever since I quit she has continued to knock them back every night. Last night when we got home from the hospital we watched a couple of recorded programs for about 3 hours before we went to bed... and she only drank water.

I didn't bring it up and she didn't say anything.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

ROTFLMAO, Sorry, I've had 2 heart attacks and your ER description is right on! One big WTF. If you weren't having a heart attack on your way in you'd have one before you left!! I really am glad to hear your all right. It can be scary sh#t. Take it easy for a while and keep close tabs on your heart and blood pressure. I'm 53 and had to stop working 3 months ago because of my heart. I'm not over weight, in fact I'm to the small side (insert joke here) Our former lives take there toll on us physically. A great big ATTABOY for not saying anything to your wife about her drinking water.

Keep posting!!

Your friend, Ron
Old 02-05-2011, 12:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So glad that you are ok! Good job on taking care of
yourself and going to the Dr's. It has been my experience
that taking care of myself healthwise is something that
I never do when actively drinking. The hell with me
I'm prone to say, no matter how awful I feel.

As far as your Super Bowl party please be very careful.
It could be a positive thing or a set up for relapse.
Remember to have that out should it just be too much.
Your sobriety is precious.