SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   How much we miss when drinking! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/219403-how-much-we-miss-when-drinking.html)

SSIL75 02-05-2011 07:14 AM

How much we miss when drinking!

Besides the major things we miss (like the whole life we could be living if we weren't stuck behind a bottle whenever possible).. I was struck last night by the little things that have brightened up since I sobered up. It's like I was living by flashlight and now somebody turned on the overhead light and I can see everything.

A little example: My husband is out of town again so it's just me and my kiddos. Both of them wound up in my bed at some point over night (or course. Not like I could stretch out for a night ;)). Now, 6 mos ago I would have gotten really drunk last night and now (10am) would no doubt be taking the edge off with someone or other. Instead I woke at some point over night to the sound of my son laughing in his sleep. And then about an hour later (maybe 4am) I hear a little voice whisper "Mommy? Can I lie on you?". My 2 year old.

6 months ago I wouldn't have heard her. She'd have asked in her little voice and gotten a snore as a response.

These things fuel my sobriety but oh my goodness. The memories break my heart.

LexieCat 02-05-2011 07:23 AM

Nice. VERY nice.

Thanks for sharing that.

flutter 02-05-2011 07:30 AM

Love that.. :)

Here's to not missing those little voices, laughter, and random childhood moments.. fabulous.

Kmber2010 02-05-2011 07:32 AM

Thx for sharing :)

mmh364 02-05-2011 07:34 AM

Thanks for the post. I can totally relate to you. 35 days and counting for me. Truly one of the best things about sobriety is to 'be' there for our kids. Enjoy your day, my friend.

coffeenut 02-05-2011 07:37 AM

This made me smile. It really is the 'little' things, isn't it.

Sneezy 02-05-2011 07:40 AM

Beautiful post, SS - so happy for you AND your family!

(Love that "Mommy, can I lie on you?" :) )

SSIL75 02-05-2011 07:41 AM

oops typo in my OP. I would be taking the edge of with someTHING (some drink). Not someONE. That wasn't how I rolled :lmao

Kmber2010 02-05-2011 07:52 AM

lol....now you just made me spit out my water..... lol. Wasn't how I rolled - love it. Good stuff hon and so glad we can enjoy the little things once again.

SSIL75 02-05-2011 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Sneezy (Post 2855310)
(Love that "Mommy, can I lie on you?" :) )

I'm 6 mos pregnant. If you can picture the scene :rotfxko

almay777 04-21-2011 05:58 AM

I can really relate to this post. Snapping at my beautiful 7 year old because I do not feel well because of the night before. Not spending time with him in the evenings because i am too busy drinking. Pushing the guilt to one side when he asked me to play with him and I said no, because i would much rather be drinking. He is the most important precious thing in the world and if I do not stop this self destruction I am going to miss all the things that make him so wonderful. Dertermined that this will be the last time I have to go through this. For me and him.

ozgoddess 04-21-2011 06:19 AM

Love this post and love the clarification that came later :lmao

LaFemme 04-21-2011 06:28 AM

Too sweet and too funny:) I don't think I've ever heard someone laugh in their sleep:)

MIBluebird 04-21-2011 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by SSIL75 (Post 2855624)
I'm 6 mos pregnant.

Congratulations and I love this post. It is the little things like this that warm your heart and mean the most.

frances2011 04-21-2011 06:45 AM

This gives me chills in the good ways. What small voices might be talking to me that I now have a chance of hearing?

ReadyAndAble 04-21-2011 06:49 AM

I heard my little one laugh in her sleep last week! So cool.

What a great post. Thanks for the reminder that some of the smallest things are really the biggest things.

Latte 04-21-2011 07:23 AM

Thank you for sharing that.

I went on the best field trip with my 9 year old yesterday. The teacher was just glad we survived and I was sharing with her that I just had so much fun. She has no idea...

ItWillBeWorthIt 04-21-2011 09:19 AM

I, too, love those magical, special, and funny moments SSIL75. Sobriety gives us all those wonderful events to experience and look forward to. As a Mom of three, I treasure those times.... so glad I choose to take the sober route for my life.

Marria 04-21-2011 12:24 PM

Thanks for all the thoughts on what we miss out on with our children when drinking. I'm on day 11 and with my children there's a definite change. I give them more time, I'm listening more, laughing more. Today I spent 3 hours in the garden digging earth and planting vegetables with my son who is 11yrs. We were both so happy and relaxed. I never ever garden! In fact this is my first time ever planting vegetables and I know for certain that if I was still drinking I wouldn't be gardening thats for sure! Its strange how thoughts of drink took over my days. "When can I? How can I? What if someone notices?"

Now I think of drink but more in terms of sobriety and how new and amazing it is to be into my second week. I notice it everywhere, especially on sunny days like this with people in supermarkets loading up their trolleys with wine and beer. Now I'm eating ice-cream and drinking soft drinks. Its like being a kid again, and thats not a bad idea! Life is definetely simpler.

ItWillBeWorthIt 04-21-2011 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Marria (Post 2942808)
I give them more time, I'm listening more, laughing more. Today I spent 3 hours in the garden digging earth and planting vegetables with my son who is 11yrs. We were both so happy and relaxed. I never ever garden! In fact this is my first time ever planting vegetables and I know for certain that if I was still drinking I wouldn't be gardening thats for sure! I

I love gardening as well with my kids... too much snow yet, usually middle of May we can plant the garden and I am SO looking forward to it Marria. Congratulations on your sober time -- it is so worth it. Enjoy!