Notices

How much we miss when drinking!

Old 04-21-2011, 01:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Aw! Even though I'm new to recovery (and here), I can think of so many times I missed out on so many things due to drinking. Even though we tell ourselves we are maintaining, the little things often slip by. To think of how many times my daughter had to smell my wine breath and how many times I fell asleep before she did watching a movie. Thanks for sharing this!
Old 04-21-2011, 06:05 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

SSIL75 - great story. Remember the promises "we will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it". I try not to beat myself up too bad about things I did (or didn't do) when I was active. Everyone makes mistakes - even non alcoholics. It just so happens that we are afflicted with this condition. The good news is it is treatable and we don't ever have to live that way again.

I really liked what you said about the lights being turned on. That is how I feel as well. Life is just fine on life's terms. We have good days and we have bad days but at least we get to be us 100% of the time now!!

You're doing great. Keep up the good work!!!
Old 04-21-2011, 07:21 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SSIL75 View Post
6 months ago I wouldn't have heard her. She'd have asked in her little voice and gotten a snore as a response.

These things fuel my sobriety but oh my goodness. The memories break my heart.
This nearly brought tears to my eyes. I have missed so freaking much. I have ALWAYS been there... but so much in the last few years has been foggy.

Thanks for this post.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:49 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by reggiewayne View Post
SSIL75 - great story. Remember the promises "we will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it". I try not to beat myself up too bad about things I did (or didn't do) when I was active. Everyone makes mistakes - even non alcoholics.
I was scrolling down reading...thinking it is so sweet that these young children will have their parents back. Maybe the children didn't even realize their parents were missing.
My youngest is 18 (oldest 29) and I spent 90% of their lives in some kind of stupor, hungover, not right, foggy, drunk, whatever...Got to Reg's post and thought hmm, perfect timing. I can't let the past dictate my thoughts for the future. (Thanx Reg)
My daughter has been 'talking' to me lately. Not complaining or whining or hot headed -just talking to me like a normal human being. She invited me to the class play Tuesday night and even asked me to sit by her! WOW.
She called me tonight to ask about my new job, was interested. Was upset I was working Easter but old enough to understand and excited I'm happy there. I really need to work -for my dignity, independance and recovery.
She can see the change...I didn't talk the talk...I just showed her by my actions that I was damn serious this time. It's working.